Perlisten Expands Reference Series Loudspeakers for a More Affordable THX Dominus Experience

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Provided that's what's important to any prospective buyers, but then they're not targeting average Joe either...

I'd like to check out an all Perlisten system sometime and get a taste of the Dominus experience.
I would like to have a better understanding of where JTR (and even RTJ) is in comparison to Perlisten and the THX Dominus spec for output against distortion.

They aren't lookers, but I still find myself highly enamored to the Noesis Speakers. :) Though granted, the Speakers are a little pricey, but the Amplification is where you get hit, especially on the 215RTs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I used to chase THX certified equipment until I got a THX processor and it was awful. I honestly don't care at all if that stamp is on anything.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I've never played with a THX processor. For the Speakers and Subs, however, it is more a metric of meeting certain output levels while staying below certain distortion thresholds.
Not that I would seek out a THX certification, like you said, but at least on a Speaker it gives an assurance of certain capability (at Ultra and Dominus levels, for certain... Select, too, but who really cares about Select? :p )

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is it just me, or does that boundary inch its way up as you get older? I spent double on my current bookshelves compared to what I was expecting going into the store and didn't foresee an upgrade afterwards. Then last year started looking at BMRs, then Arendals, Paradigm Founders. Even looked at Focals and KEF Reference. The older I get, the more tempted I am to splurge on that final shot for audio Nirvana. Might be tough to find a place to audition Perlisten though.
As we get older, we need better and more expensive equipment to compenstate for our hearing loss. No joke :(

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On the Certification, the S-series says "THX Dominus", but the R-series says "THX Dominus/THX Ultra".

So I wonder if Dominus is for the treble/midrange and the Ultra is for the bass?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
As we get older, we need better and more expensive equipment to compensate for our hearing loss. No joke :(
I didn't do myself any favours going to big rock concerts and playing in a band. It wasn't until a few years later that I had the sense to wear hearing protection during rehearsals and on stage. There were Ted Nudgent and Aerosmith (with early AC/DC) shows that left my ears ringing for 2 or 3 days. A local club show with Nazareth was crazy loud too and tinnitus is the result. I wear musician ear plugs at concerts now to retain some sense of fidelity but too many sound engineers at live events are too jacked about volume. I've been to a lot of shows were they managed a really good mix after the first few songs and then cranked up the volume and destroyed the sound. After playing with some KEFs, Wharfdales and Cantons in the last year it's satisfying to know that I can still tell the difference. :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
As we get older, we need better and more expensive equipment to compenstate for our hearing loss. No joke :(
Great I have a big truck to compensate for something and now I need expensive home theater equipment to compensate for my aging.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Great I have a big truck to compensate for something and now I need expensive home theater equipment to compensate for my aging.

Just wait until that big truck turns into a Red Corvette!

:p
-or-
:rolleyes:
...you decide...

:cool:

PS: It's still compensation. :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just wait until that big truck turns into a Red Corvette!

-or-
:rolleyes:
...you decide...

:cool:

PS: It's still compensation. :)
If I could afford one I might be worried. For now I've got the truck.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Funny... last time I looked at Big Truck pricing... ther wasn't much difference between those and a 'vette.

:eek:

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Funny... last time I looked at Big Truck pricing... ther wasn't much difference between those and a 'vette.

That's actually true, it's not that far off to be honest.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Was just watching something where they pointed out a fully kitted truck can indeed cost more than a Corvette...but they were using the base price of the Corvette.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just randomly double checked and saw some Ram 1500s at 69-73K... I know I've seen Fords and Chevys up there too.

Cowboy Corvette FTW
:p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum package is 92.5k (and you can add some stuff, but most of the goodies are included)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As if some self-respecting cowboy would buy electric... :p
There's probably a waiting list....but more likely the usual urban cowboy these days. Altho those that prefer rolling coal wouldn't like it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Oh damn, I guess I made a mistake buying a sh!tload of truck parts last year.

Granted, mine is paid off, but making it more fun sure is expensive.

What is the lifted truck equivalent in HT gear? ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There's probably a waiting list....but more likely the usual urban cowboy these days. Altho those that prefer rolling coal wouldn't like it.
I'd have both if I could. Best of both worlds.

D

dutchholic

Junior Audioholic
"Firstly, the Signature series’ exotic driver diaphragms of the Textreme cones and Beryllium tweeter dome were eschewed in favor of fiber cones and silk dome tweeters. While Textreme and Beryllium are undeniably finer ingredients for driver diaphragms, they cost a whole lot more and make more sense for those who are after the very best performance regardless of cost. Perlisten’s fiber cone is something that they have developed that they call “HPF” which stands for hybrid pulp formulation and is a mixture of long-fiber hardwood, bamboo, and wool. Pulp fiber cones and silk domes are a known quantity that can have outstanding performance at a fraction of the cost. The differences in sound may be subtle, but the differences in cost definitely are not. "

Why did there have to be a cut in costs of the materials? It's not that the R series are cheap, they still cost more the their Revel BE counterparts and the Revel BE series still have Beryllium tweeters and more expensive woofer materials. Perlisten now introduced (one of) the most expensive speaker series with pulp fiber and silk dome tweeters. imo the R-series are way overpriced when you look at the material use.

Seeing that "demo picture"; quite sad that they used an tube amplifier and a turntable to demo these speakers. Perlisten wants to market themself as an excellent measuring brand in terms of distortion with one of the most neutral speakers in the world, then why do they use such crappy equipment to demo their speakers? Tube amps and turntables are the opposite of what Perlisten stands for. High distortion and no neutral sound..

"With a 15” width and a 17” depth, the R210s should pack a lot of punch in a small footprint, so those looking for a powerful sub that doesn’t take a lot of space have a compelling new option in the R210s."

The announced subwoofers are impressive but I wouldn't call them "a small footprint" either. My current subwoofer also has a 10 inch driver are is 14x14x14 inch. I don't have space for bigger (only in height it would be okay), I was really considering the R210s while reading this announcement (if they measure close to the S-series (regarding distortion, of course the SPL is lower), I would wait for the audioholics review of course) but as soon as I found out about the depth of 17 inch it wasn't an option for me anymore... For 10 inch woofers; 17 inch depth is everything but "a small footprint" imo.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
In the long term I would love to hear the Bookshelfs vs the Kef Reference 1. One of these two may be my next speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis