Perlisten Expands Reference Series Loudspeakers for a More Affordable THX Dominus Experience

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I'm going to be a skeptic. If the owners and engineering team are not close to the factory floor, who knows what will take place?

At ATC the owner and engineering team are just across the parking lot, not an ocean away. That type of engineering model defies time honored practices that produce guaranteed quality unit after unit.

Dennis probably did have to wait for his drivers, like he did the Chinese cabinets. Supply chains have been disrupted and throwing everything into disarray of late.

The whole world's geopolitics are shifting on their axes right now. One thing is certain that off shore manufacture will become risky and untenable in short order.

We can absolutely not continue to do business with China as we have on the past.
Roger that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm going to be a skeptic. If the owners and engineering team are not close to the factory floor, who knows what will take place?

At ATC the owner and engineering team are just across the parking lot, not an ocean away. That type of engineering model defies time honored practices that produce guaranteed quality unit after unit.

Dennis probably did have to wait for his drivers, like he did the Chinese cabinets. Supply chains have been disrupted and throwing everything into disarray of late.

The whole world's geopolitics are shifting on their axes right now. One thing is certain that off shore manufacture will become risky and untenable in short order.

We can absolutely not continue to do business with China as we have on the past.
In Perlisten's case, the engineers are the owners of the factory. And the manufacturing is Six Sigma certified with respect to quality control, which is one of the best of not the best QC certification that can be had.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

Did you watch Biden's State of the Union address? The billions that Intel is investing in domestic manufacturing is staggering. There are talks of Intel building similar plants in Europe. The Canadian gov't announced only a paltry $240 million by comparison. Canada does have some domestic manufacturing (and a very high skilled work face comparable to Taiwan) but it is not widely known. In retrospect we should not have sold off Nortel Networks. They were the top telecom manufacturer at one time. In university I toured the Mitel facilities in Ottawa and they also were doing their own chip design and manufacturing in house. Now we have the mess involving Huawei.

Last edited:
Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I didn't do myself any favours going to big rock concerts and playing in a band. It wasn't until a few years later that I had the sense to wear hearing protection during rehearsals and on stage. There were Ted Nudgent and Aerosmith (with early AC/DC) shows that left my ears ringing for 2 or 3 days. A local club show with Nazareth was crazy loud too and tinnitus is the result. I wear musician ear plugs at concerts now to retain some sense of fidelity but too many sound engineers at live events are too jacked about volume. I've been to a lot of shows were they managed a really good mix after the first few songs and then cranked up the volume and destroyed the sound. After playing with some KEFs, Wharfdales and Cantons in the last year it's satisfying to know that I can still tell the difference. :)

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I hear ya (with tinnitus). Same thing. Drummer in a band. Guitarist saying the cymbals are too loud with using a Marshall 100 watt stack. I remember early Uriah Heep in a small venue, Cheap Trick in a medium one and Aerosmith in a large one. Also Heaven and He'll close up. Outdoors and still on 11. Oh, and Motorhead.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Did you watch Biden's State of the Union address? The billions that Intel is investing in domestic manufacturing is staggering. There are talks of Intel building similar plants in Europe. The Canadian gov't announced only a paltry $240 million by comparison. Canada does have some domestic manufacturing (and a very high skilled work face comparable to Taiwan) but it is not widely known. In retrospect we should not have sold off Nortel Networks. They were the top telecom manufacturer at one time. In university I toured the Mitel facilities in Ottawa and they also were doing their on chip design and manufacturing in house. Now we have the mess involving Huawei.
I remember Nortel well. Back in the day I worked on part of the spinoff from BCE. They held many valuable patents that were worth a fortune at one time. Besides the famous accounting scandals, they allegedly were big time cyber hacked by the Chinese operators. Guess who benefited>>>>Huawei.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I hear ya (with tinnitus). Same thing. Drummer in a band. Guitarist saying the cymbals are too loud with using a Marshall 100 watt stack. I remember early Uriah Heep in a small venue, Cheap Trick in a medium one and Aerosmith in a large one. Also Heaven and He'll close up. Outdoors and still on 11. Oh, and Motorhead.
I think the loudest two I experienced were Ted Nudget (with The Cars --- what a horrible match up) at the Pontiac Silver Dome in MI and Aerosmith with AC/DC (pre Brian Johnson before Bon Scott died) in Buffalo. I've seen Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd multiple times but they didn't approach those levels. Nazareth, after their hay day, toured smaller venues and hit a local club, but they came with a transport truck full of gear for a place that sat maybe 200 - 300. I had to literally yell at the top of my lungs into someone's ear in order to be heard over the band. That was just nuts. Goddo did something similar in my youth in an even smaller club.

When AC/DC backed up Aerosmith, Malcolm Young would get up on a roadie's shoulders and play a solo wirelessly while the roadie ran around the crowd. He doesn't do that any more. :) I saw AC/DC again with Brian Johnson for the Hells Bells tour. They were not yet hugely popular, so they played at our local hockey arena which only sat about 5,000. I was 5 feet from the stage when they lowered the giant bell for the opening number. Good times!

I could start a whole thread on live concert experiences. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I remember Nortel well. Back in the day I worked on part of the spinoff from BCE. They held many valuable patents that were worth a fortune at one time. Besides the famous accounting scandals, they allegedly were big time cyber hacked by the Chinese operators. Guess who benefited>>>>Huawei.
I have a couple of engineer friends that worked for Nortel. I should pester them for the inside scoop. ;)

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Perlisten contacted me to review their speakers too. I don't know if anyone has noticed that several Home Theater youtubers over the last few months also received free speakers for review. I'm not going to contact them back since they already saturated the channels with overpriced goods. Reviews are meaningless now.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I think the loudest two I experienced were Ted Nudget (with The Cars --- what a horrible match up) at the Pontiac Silver Dome in MI and Aerosmith with AC/DC (pre Brian Johnson before Bon Scott died) in Buffalo. I've seen Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd multiple times but they didn't approach those levels. Nazareth, after their hay day, toured smaller venues and hit a local club, but they came with a transport truck full of gear for a place that sat maybe 200 - 300. I had to literally yell at the top of my lungs into someone's ear in order to be heard over the band. That was just nuts. Goddo did something similar in my youth in an even smaller club.

When AC/DC backed up Aerosmith, Malcolm Young would get up on a roadie's shoulders and play a solo wirelessly while the roadie ran around the crowd. He doesn't do that any more. :) I saw AC/DC again with Brian Johnson for the Hells Bells tour. They were not yet hugely popular, so they played at our local hockey arena which only sat about 5,000. I was 5 feet from the stage when they lowered the giant bell for the opening number. Good times!

I could start a whole thread on live concert experiences. :)
I saw all those except AC DC. I went to all kinds too. I do remember the last time I saw Nazareth was pretty loud. That was 1979. A while ago now.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Did you watch Biden's State of the Union address? The billions that Intel is investing in domestic manufacturing is staggering. There are talks of Intel building similar plants in Europe. The Canadian gov't announced only a paltry $240 million by comparison. Canada does have some domestic manufacturing (and a very high skilled work face comparable to Taiwan) but it is not widely known. In retrospect we should not have sold off Nortel Networks. They were the top telecom manufacturer at one time. In university I toured the Mitel facilities in Ottawa and they also were doing their own chip design and manufacturing in house. Now we have the mess involving Huawei.
It may be that Canada plans to let other countries do the heavy lifting on the startup and use us/them as their suppliers. I don't have a problem with that, as long as China will no longer be the supplier of everything, to everyone.

highfigh

highfigh

The only reason guitars needed to be so loud was A) they were playing in larger venues and B) they needed to play at a similar level to what the drummers were slamming and we all know that some drummers have one setting- LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, high SPL transient sounds are far more damaging than sustained sounds.

highfigh

highfigh

Some how I made a typo, as the number was correct is my portable brain. A 4 some how slipped in.
The unit price is $468.80, so four will cost $1,875.2. The bulk price gets you a 10% discount, so which would give you a $187.52 discount for four speakers. So a reduction of $46.88 per driver. That is why the speaker production business is so tough. Again it makes the case for DIY. If you do it right it will cost you about 15 to 20% of the cost of a manufactured speaker of equivalent quality. You have to remember the manufacturer will mark it up 40% before it ships to make it worthwhile. The dealer will want 50% mark up on that.
Large quantity discount is more than 10% and they have pricing tiers. Nothing is as expensive at the manufacturing level as it is on a smaller scale, but they tend to invest in more machinery that's used for production. Would a hobbyist need a winding machine for inductors or an accurate V-grooving saw for veneered material? No, but they sure do work well when production numbers are high.

WRT your comment about engineering being in the same place as production- with the internet and testing equipment being connected, I'm not sure this is as bad as when they could only communicate via telephone and crude video.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis