Perlisten Audio: The THX Dominus Line Has Finally Been Breached!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
900x450.jpg
THX Dominus has been around for a few years now and is a certification for products for extreme home theater requirements. Even though it's been around for a little while, it isn't well known, probably because no products could attain it. It is an extremely demanding certification, and many in the industry were questioning if anything would ever be able to attain it or maybe if it was a bit too demanding. That has all changed recently with the launch of the Perlisten brand of THX Dominus-certified loudspeakers and subwoofers. Of course, it takes one heck of a speaker or subwoofer to break the Dominus barrier, but that is exactly what Perlisten has produced. They utilize sophisticated technology combined with brute force to make loudspeakers and subwoofers of extremely high fidelity as well as a wide dynamic range that can achieve THX Reference sound even in a very large home theater room. Read about what is required for THX Dominus and what Perlisten's speakers and subs deliver in our article.

READ: Perlisten Audio: The THX Dominus Line Has Finally Been Breached!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They shoulda named the whole line "Dominus"! Unless it's trademarked...

Pretty cool name for a speaker tho.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They shoulda named the whole line "Dominus"! Unless it's trademarked...

Pretty cool name for a speaker tho.
Dominus is trademarked, by THX. Dominus is just a level of certification.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Looks incredible! There's something about having achieved Dominus level THX cert that just sounds badass, must be the Latin, anything in Latin sounds wholly badass. But these look the part too. I'll have to take the review's word for how it actually sounds, but I'm sure it's incredible too.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No s#%t, Louie Viutton put out a THX speaker?:oops: Oh, wait...:p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks incredible! There's something about having achieved Dominus level THX cert that just sounds badass, must be the Latin, anything in Latin sounds wholly badass. But these look the part too. I'll have to take the review's word for how it actually sounds, but I'm sure it's incredible too.
Dominus, Spartacus, Gannicus, Maximus. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Whew. Finally caught up on this: Had the tab open since I saw it this morning!
Great write up. Love the concept.

Hate the price.
:p
But c'mon. If I had that kinda coin, I'd already own these! And when you DO have that kinda coin, auditioning is for Suckas! If you don't like it, put in your chalet in the Alps where you only have to listen to it for the month you spend there every other year! o_O

OK, kidding aside:
From a design perspective, this seems astounding. I'm still trying to figure out a simple Subwoofer and these guys are making the Noesis 215 RT look like an oversized BMR Monitor! The precision of their directivity is stunning. That alone is noteworthy. But every little detail seems to have been looked after with the greatest of care.

I'm in awe; much like the Dutch&Dutch 8C, am just blown away by the possibilities that these engineers are exploring and exploiting to seemingly great effect.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm a bit surprised that THX is still around to this degree that someone actually makes a system like the Dominus. When the THX Ltd was bought by Razer Inc in 2016 I thought the brand THX would be milked for money with diluted quality.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm a bit surprised that THX is still around to this degree that someone actually makes a system like the Dominus. When the THX Ltd was bought by Razer Inc in 2016 I thought the brand THX would be milked for money with diluted quality.
While THX lost some prominence in North America, it was always popular in Asia since the quality in electronics could vary so wildly. THX was a mark of assurance, and I would guess that is why Razer bought them, as well as Creative before Razer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Whew. Finally caught up on this: Had the tab open since I saw it this morning!
Great write up. Love the concept.

Hate the price.
:p
But c'mon. If I had that kinda coin, I'd already own these! And when you DO have that kinda coin, auditioning is for Suckas! If you don't like it, put in your chalet in the Alps where you only have to listen to it for the month you spend there every other year! o_O

OK, kidding aside:
From a design perspective, this seems astounding. I'm still trying to figure out a simple Subwoofer and these guys are making the Noesis 215 RT look like an oversized BMR Monitor! The precision of their directivity is stunning. That alone is noteworthy. But every little detail seems to have been looked after with the greatest of care.

I'm in awe; much like the Dutch&Dutch 8C, am just blown away by the possibilities that these engineers are exploring and exploiting to seemingly great effect.
I don't think your use of the word "stunning" is at all hyperbolic either. I've never seen Directivity graphs so precise. I didn't know it was possible to achieve what they did.

image (1).jpeg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think your use of the word "stunning" is at all hyperbolic either. I've never seen Directivity graphs so precise. I didn't know it was possible to achieve what they did.

View attachment 45512
The crossover uses very special filters to create that effect. There is a lot of overlapping bandwidth, and there are differences in phase and amplitude for the different drivers to create this effect. So much of the driver spread is looked at as an array instead of individual drivers. I am getting a pair of the S7t towers in for review, and I am pretty excited about it. Most speakers are just refinements of existing technology, but the beamforming that Perlisten uses is very new, at least for high-fidelity audio.

Last edited:
C

chris_w

Audiophyte
I would like to know what these would do in a real room ie 1/4 the size of the specified room.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would like to know what these would do in a real room ie 1/4 the size of the specified room.
They would be capable of exceeding THX Reference level SPLs. Or you could just play them at THX Reference levels and have infinitesimal levels of distortion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis