Performance: One 12" sub or two 10" subs?

J

joshk03

Audioholic
I still have a fear of leaving a dead-zone in the 90 hz range if I get too focused on trying to reach 20 hz perfectly. I would rather have a flat response from my system from 30-20k than a 90hz valley in a 20-20k system.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I still have a fear of leaving a dead-zone in the 90 hz range if I get too focused on trying to reach 20 hz perfectly. I would rather have a flat response from my system from 30-20k than a 90hz valley in a 20-20k system.
Careful choose you XO, and phase and you shouldn’t have any problems. Curious, why do envision this as an issue?

J

joshk03

Audioholic
The HSU ULS15 would be a possible candidate to look at. Or even the Rythmik L22 dual sealed 12. But not sure I agree on ported not being equal in sound quality. My Rythmik LVX12 in my dedicated theater is ported and my L12 is sealed (it’s in my master bedroom system). Both have wonderful sound.
I am super interested in the Rythmik, but with no data to offer at all, I don't know what is real.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Careful choose you XO, and phase and you shouldn’t have any problems. Curious, why do envision this as an issue?
The crossover is my concern, I'm worried the super-low subs are sacrificing their high end. And maybe there won't be a crossover point that yields a flat response.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The crossover is my concern, I'm worried the super-low subs are sacrificing their high end. And maybe there won't be a crossover point that yields a flat response.
I wouldn’t worry too much about that. These subs are. Wet linear in their passband. You may need REW and and a umik, or at the very least an spl meter and tone generator(some tone apps are really good I have a good one I can link if you want) to make sure you have good integration but the subs in your range of interest should be fine even around 150hz.
Data-bass.com has a great deal of information. Just be careful, you might end up with way more sub than you might ever need after look around there lol.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
I wouldn’t worry too much about that. These subs are. Wet linear in their passband. You may need REW and and a umik, or at the very least an spl meter and tone generator(some tone apps are really good I have a good one I can link if you want) to make sure you have good integration but the subs in your range of interest should be fine even around 150hz.
Data-bass.com has a great deal of information. Just be careful, you might end up with way more sub than you might ever need after look around there lol.
I found this on a tempting sub:
Frequency Response 14 - 100 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz)
and I wish there was more room at the top.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You need to look at one with an LFE input. That gets you to 180hz or similiar. Not sure why that particular one lacks an LFE in.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
You need to look at one with an LFE input. That gets you to 180hz or similiar. Not sure why that particular one lacks an LFE in.
I noticed that quirk. What is different about LFE that gives it more range?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Using the LFE means you use the AVR to set the crossovers for each speaker and it bypasses all the other sub settings other than gain and phase and the rumble filter. As far as electrically what is happening, others may be more informative...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're concerned, then shop for a sub with higher frequency output. I'd really suggest looking at the various subs tested at data-bass to see what particular subs (altho they may not have the subs you've looked at) do well at higher frequencies, my diy subs are good out to 350-400hz. If you're not concerned with really low frequency response, perhaps something like a Premier Acoustics PA-150....

J

joshk03

Audioholic
I was over at data-bass last night, but unfortunately they didn't have any Rythmik below 15".
I am really eating up all that marketing about the servo with a feedback loop.:)
I like their F12 sub. If I just plug into the LFE and use the receiver to set the crossover it can go up to 200hz. At 370w it has a bit less power than the others I saw, but that only affects max volume and as I said I listen to music, and at a reasonable level.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What an LFE input does on a sub is generally take out the low pass circuit (or you can manually turn that to max value). The whole servo thing...they do push it for sales but I don't think it's particularly meaningful. Power of a sub's amp is only so meaningful, and then when it can be related to the sensitivity of the system, the wattage by itself is meaningless.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Rythmik seems to be well liked here, does anyone have this model? Are there any comments about it somewhere? I will try a search.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Well I will consider my sub wars settled.
The Rythmik F12 seems to reign supreme in accuracy for music according to user opinions. But not punch for movies. That sounds like my style sub. :)

Now I have a cost barrier to get over. I might have to tell my wife it's for our 1 year old daughter. She likes music. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis