Perforated Screens - What price can you get away with, for quality?

F

Faustblix

Audioholic Intern
Hello everyone.

I have to admit, I'm a complete newbie to projector screens. I've been digging in with the research, but what I lack is the first hand experience - where I can trust with my eyes. Living in a remote location, with Covid lockdown, I'm relying on a community I trust :).

I'm starting to cost out a home theater setup.
Thinking I'm fairly set on Dali Oberon, and going to look at some additional bits for atmos.
And then... screens... I saw clips on a Stewart and thought... "holy heck..."
So I'm definitely interested in the route of a perforated screen with the center at a minimum, behind.
Thinking of a 130" on-wall panel with a faux wall or recess for speakers.

The question is becoming... what price can you get away with, for superb quality in a dark room at 10 foot viewing distance? Will be further away for sure, but if it stands a 10 ft scrutiny, I'll trust it every point beyond.

Thanks for your wisdom guys. I'm sure it's going to make the fam very happy if it costs less than a car.

dolsey01

dolsey01

Enthusiast
Just a comment about going with a perforated screen, I would NEVER go back to having my center channel below my screen after having it behind a perforated screen.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The question is becoming... what price can you get away with, for superb quality in a dark room at 10 foot viewing distance? Will be further away for sure, but if it stands a 10 ft scrutiny, I'll trust it every point beyond.
I have the CIMA screen with Triad Inwall Bronze speakers behind it. I LOVE the screen, and find it is no more restraining to the sound, than having a speaker grill on.

You do need to be about 10 ft or more away from the screen, so that the perforations are not visible. Sounds like thats what you already have planned, so you should be good to go!

There is a significant price difference between Stewart and 'Brand X Internet Direct'. The frame that Stewart builds looks like the house could fall on it, and it would bear the weight. I have no doubt that I will get decades of use out of this screen! The top mounts on a lip, and then magnets hold the bottom firmly in place. Two people can take the screen on and off with ease - which is kinda important when using in wall speakers!

@DigitalDawn is a pleasure to work with. FWIW she gave me the Triad speakers for a review, and turned me into a customer. I have two projection systems, and the Perforado screen is in my bedroom. One thing with ANY projection screen, it has to stay clean, and you cannot touch it! The oils in your skin will leave a mark that won't reveal itself for a while, but when it does, it will never come out. So my insurance policy was to get a Lutron Roller Shade to cover the screen when not in use. May not be needed in your situation, but it is fun pressing one button to make the window shades close, and the screen open up!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
That was a really unique and smart idea to cover the screen with another motorized screen. I love those Lutron Shades!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
That was a really unique and smart idea to cover the screen with another motorized screen. I love those Lutron Shades!
It's been worth every penny! Since our bedroom is barely large enough to give the proper throw distance, we have to walk past the screen all the time. Add in a giant indoor 'horse' and I certainly sleep better knowing there's a barrier between the screen and his snout!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Did you say indoor horse? Is it a mini horse? Can you email me photos. Sounds really cool!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What type of projector are you planning on pairing with it? I would be hard pressed to not recommend the Seymour AV woven screen as a pretty high industry standard for years and years. If you just need a fixed frame on-wall screen, then they really deliver the goods.

I've also used the Silver Ticket screen with a JVC RS540 projector and it was, frankly, quite good as well.

I really haven't heard strong negatives about most models, and while I do believe that Stewart makes a frame that is a cut above, I'm just not sure it matters. If my house falls onto my screen, I've got bigger issues to deal with. I just need the screen to hang on the wall properly, and every screen I've used has done this just fine.

F

Faustblix

Audioholic Intern
All massively excellent feedback guys. Thanks and sorry for the late reply. Work's been pretty busy.

The mrs doesn't totally realize that I plan to buy our next home focused around theater space and function..
I haven't landed on a projector just yet, figuring it may be a round or two before we could afford the ideal one.

I hadn't considered that the screens would be so sensitive to dirt or oil. I should have.
The more that I'm learning, the more I realize there is to learn.
Considerations for the porting on speakers for example.
I would be interested in which audio systems you guys have behind your screens.

I was thinking the Dali oberon 5.1, NAD Receiver / AMP, and a good screen.
Next stage in mind would've been atmos and a more serious projector.

My timeline for moving just jumped so drastically though, I find myself torn between an LG OLED and the projector setup. In my guts I know I know where the center belongs. I'll have to make concessions to make it happen.

Thanks for that Seymour tip Trix. Fingers crossed that I can come in under 8 grand for video, and under 12 for Audio. Located in Canada, so a consideration as well is local warranty work and/or maintenance.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Speakers tend to be as speakers are.

That is, you tend to get more as you pay more, and opinions will be all over the place because speakers are so much about personal preference. For example, while I think Klipsch makes nice gear, I think they are a bit bright for my tastes. So be it. I don't buy Klipsch and have zero issue with those who love their speakers. So, if you can, go out and listen to different speakers and make your selection on that. Likewise, I love sealed subwoofers. I find that ported subs always tend to sound boomy rather than smooth. So, I got a bunch of sealed subwoofers and I don't knock those who love their ported subs.

I don't think oils and dirt really is a major factor with projection screens. I just haven't run into that as a 'huge issue' over the years. Fixed frame screens sit on walls for years. 10+ years is quite normal for a screen to sit on a wall without any issues. The only potential issues come from people who may want to touch the screen. I have no idea why anyone would touch the screen... so, I'm not sure where dirt and oil comes into play as a 'major' issue. It really isn't in a typically clean basement. Maybe run a duster over a woven screen once a year and you are good to go.

I do approve of getting a proper screen ahead of a proper projector. That is, if you have $2,000, don't spend $200 on the screen and $1,800 on the projector. Get the proper screen that will last you those 10+ years, then get the projector with whatever money is left. Even a 1080p BenQ HT2050a is quite good. Better is you can probably sell the 2050a in a few years and still get $300-$400 or so for it and use that money towards the better projector. So, projectors can be upgraded easily enough.

Of course, in a theater, there is a ton more to consider such as room color, lighting, and lighting control, as well as cabling. Perhaps my biggest demand when I install a home theater during construction is that I must install conduit from the equipment location (equipment never goes at the front of the room!) to the projector so that the HDMI can be replaced when it needs to be in the future.

But, since you asked, I've had a client with some very nice speakers (can't remember the brand) installed behind a 133" screen being viewed from 9' away using a Seymour AV screen.

I've also put Monoprice 8" in-wall 3-way speakers behind a Silver Ticket woven screen.

Really, both times, the clients were very happy with the final result. The first having much better overall sound, but the second client getting reasonably good sound for the money.

I've also had a client use Martin Logan Stealth Edge speakers behind a Seymour screen. For an in-wall setup, that was one of the better sounding rooms I've done.

F

Faustblix

Audioholic Intern
Nice to hear different success story variations.
I've mostly been thinking about rear porting having enough distance from the wall, and how much that's expected to shorten the room. The accommodation for it, say 1m from the exterior wall... needing the extra square footing to get the most out of them, when purchasing the house'll be quite a bit more. It's maybe the last in my list to account for. Maybe though at the Oberon budget, that level of detail won't be audible? /shrug Ports seem pretty minimal as well.

Thanks too for the +1 on the Edges. I'll give them another look. It's been a while. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis