Perfect Sound Explained

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well said, electronic audio gear should aim for "flat" response, regardless of our ears/brains.:D:D Any well intended meddling should be left to the individual owners.
Would you include all those volume potentiometers that don't amplify/attenuate equally across the FR (those that try to incorporate loudness)?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Anyway, what you all think about John Atkinson crossing to the dark side? Is it really that hard to make some money if you want to steer clear of the snake oil?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I wonder why component makers, excluding speakers, most do try to get a ruler flat response. Why would speakers be different? ;)
"Fidelity- the degree of exactness with which something is copied or reproduced."

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another snake oil product that sells well: THE CABLE ELEVATOR:

One seller says: Regardless of make or model, all cables create some form of electrical field around them. In free air, the field is a roughly cylindrical shape around the girth of the cable. However, when cables are placed on a boundary, such as a floor, the field becomes compressed, distorting the signal. Cable Elevators restore this field by raising the cable up, allowing the cable to deliver an undistorted signal. Cable Elevators are electrically inert, so they won't cause phase issues and because of their physical mass, Cable Elevators are able to provide a small measure of resonance damping on longer runs.

All I can say is that they work well at elevating the cables ! :rolleyes:

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Tell me something I see alot of people talking about reference level when speaking of volume What is it, an how loud is it how do you know your listening to say music at reference level ? I found a tread so never mind thank anyway.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tell me something I see alot of people talking about reference level when speaking of volume What is it, an how loud is it how do you know your listening to say music at reference level ? I found a tread so never mind thank anyway.
Reference level in a nutshell is 85 dB at your listening position, which would be "0" on your receiver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Reference level in a nutshell is 85 dB at your listening position, which would be "0" on your receiver.
But it is 85 dB with a certain input signal voltage only, referenced to 0 dB Full Scale.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
There were so many "snake oil" threads I had to pick and choose. This one seemed good enough. I saw this article in my news feed yesterday. Somehow it made it in to mainstream news. Apparently the standard to qualify for news is somewhat less than in the olden days.

Here's the link : SUPER CABLES CREATE OUTSTANDING SOUND

Here's one of many, many quotable paragraphs on the outstanding capabilities of these cables.

"A master of cohesion. The SCR-14 is not only able to image and place performers accurately, but it also does so with an eerie level of realism. The left and right channels never seem to play independently from each other. Yes, that’s how it should be…but the SCR-14 makes it very apparent. This results in the promotion of the acoustic mood by being able to bend and glue the harmonic shifts in the air. This is especially noticeable during slow harmony to melody transitions. "

At either $1,400 a meter or $2,000 a meter (WITHOUT CONNECTORS btw) these appear to be the buy of the decade.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis