pc soundcard as signal source for amp, practical? criteria? which?

C

confused-one

Audiophyte
I want use a computer as a source of signal for my Harmon Kardon HK 3490 receiver. I'm only interested in stereo audio. I have no interest in 5.1, surround sound, quadrophonic, or video. I have no need to plug headphones into it and no need to drive speakers directly with it. I'm not going into studio production. So what I want from a sound card is strictly special purpose -- the ability to send my amplifier a signal at least as good as that sent by a good CD player. If it has input capability that might allow me to import some material from some older analog media that would be a nice bonus.

The manual for my HK lists it's audio inputs as including:
am/fm/xm ready tuner
phono
cd
tape monitor/cdr
main-amp inputs
the bridge II-ready connector
coaxial and optical digital audio inputs

Getting around behind it is kind of difficult so I won't try to send a picture unless it is really needed. My knowledge of modern stereo systems is not all up to date as I have no idea what a "bridge II-ready connector" is and only a vague conceptual understanding of "optical digital audio inputs". Jeez, I thought I was up to date on these things just the other day when I was an undergrad. Oh, wait a minute . . . that was the 1970s.

In reading here and there I see a lot of people talking about using stand-alone hardware DACs which for the life of me I can't figure out why. Is there some fundamental problem with getting a signal out of a sound card at least as good as that from a good CD player?

If the amp has "optical digital audio inputs" does that mean it will do it's own DAC on those inputs and if so is it likely to be better than what a sound card could do? Or am I better off sending an analog signal from the sound card over coax? Or some other option? When I was assuming the connection would be an analog signal I figured placing the computer next to the amp to minimize the length of the connection was the way to go. But if I use a digital connection I'm not sure that makes any sense. Might it be better to get it further away to get the power supply and it's possible emanations further away?

Assuming a sound card is the way to go perhaps some of you can tell me what numbers or other criteria I need to be comparing or even what models you think I should look at or where to go for either type of information.

I'm assembling a box to be dedicated primarily to this purpose so if there are any non obvious resource issues I need to look out for (like if this application is going to take a whole lot more RAM or processing power than I would be likely to expect, for instance) that you know of it would be nice to hear about them.

Thanks for your time.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
I had some trouble with this, I'm no expert but I'll report my experiences. I had a Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatalility sound card and no matter what I did with it I couldn't get true audio pass through or true multichannel to work. I had similar issues with my on motherboard Realtek audio card. These are common out there on motherboards.

You won't see a monumental increase in general PC performance by using a stand-alone card over your boards onboard one. Its a pretty negligible impact on performance.

I used the optical output on both the onboard and the standalone creative card and it sounded like the bottom end of the signal and the top was trailing off before it should on stereo sources as well as multi-channel. Being this happened with both cards, I think it was limitations of optical cables not either of the cards or their respective software.

I tried many different things and the only thing that ever rectified it was using one of the new Radeon HD series video cards that outputs both audio and video over the HDMI. Since doing so, I've got true uncolored audio pass through and true multichannel, not some multi-stereo pseudo surround format.

If there is a way to do stereo sound well over a sound card without the source signal being altered in any way, I haven't found it. Hope this is helpful. If you do find a way, I'd be interested in knowing how you went about it.

You probably already know this but .flac vs. .mp3 sound quality is like night and day. You will never have audiophile quality sound with a .mp3 format.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
I also wanted to say that if you aren't mixing music/recording/microphoning, the new radeon video cards have made stand-alone sound cards obsolete. Think of the video rendering ability as a bonus. If you got one of the entry level 6 series, like this one here on amazon

Amazon.com: XFX AMD Radeon HD6570 650M 2 GB DDR3 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Video Card - HD657XCNH3: Electronics

you would have something capable of blu-ray playback, or running winamp visualizations while you enjoy your music in addition to lossless audio being passed through to your receiver over the hdmi interface. This has a fanless heatsynch and generates no noise at all. The fanless cooling is adequate for anything but demanding 3-d games/rendering.

I wish I had went this route instead of spent money on my x-fi soundcard way back when. Would have saved me some money and headaches. lol
Nvidia has similar offerings but they usually charge more for a software bundle to go with for hdcp playback, radeon includes this.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Try the TOSLink (optical out) of your computer. It will be electrically isolate the computer from the receiver.

I use a EMU 1212M sound card on in my 2.0 because the computer is the source of all audio and I can drive both balanced and unbalanced connections with it. Plus the specs on the card are good so that doesn't hurt either.

C

confused-one

Audiophyte
Thank you both. I will study some of the things you refer to and return to this thread when I can ask more intelligent questions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis