sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
This is quite possibly a silly question but as much as I've researched it I haven't gotten a good answer so here I am.

When sending music from a computer to a receiver via optical cable does the sound card's chipset matter all that much? In other words when using optical out is the card just sending unprocessed bits to the receiver for processing or is the card doing some work?

The reason that I'm asking is that I'm considering replacing "replacing" the onboard ALC889A based audio with a Bgears B-Enspirer card with a CMI8788 chipset. I have this card in the music server in my family room and like it. I'm just not sure if it's worth upgrading my PC. I'm listening to music most of the time I'm on my PC.

As of tomorrow that PC and receiver will be playing FLACs through a pair of Behringer B2030P studio monitors and a TSC T250 subwoofer.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...when using optical out, is the sound card just sending unprocessed bits to the receiver for processing or is the card doing some work?
If you set up the Sound for Bitstream, then it is just sending Raw Unprocessed Digital Bitstream to the Receiver, which then decodes/process the sound.

If you set up the Sound for PCM or some kind of internal decoded DD/DTS, then the card is doing all the work.

If your receiver is receiving the signal as "DIGITAL", then it is most likely a bitstream.

If your receiver is getting an "ANALOG" signal, then the card is most likely doing all the work and decoding the sound.

So just make sure you are bitstreaming. Then the card does not matter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis