B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
Hey folks,
Anybody know a good PC sound card with an optical digital out. Preferably one manufactured this decade as I need it to be compatible with Windows 10! Apparently, it seems nobody is making sound cards anymore? What gives?
My current setup has the PC audio output via 4K hdmi to my 4K TV. Unfortunately, the TV downgrades the hdmi audio signal via ARC to stereo PCM to my NON 4K AVR. My AVR does not have 4k HDMI passthrough (Yamaha RX-A2000). I figure an optical digital out via PC sound card will solve my 1st world problems. Thank you very much folks.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hey folks,
Anybody know a good PC sound card with an optical digital out. Preferably one manufactured this decade as I need it to be compatible with Windows 10! Apparently, it seems nobody is making sound cards anymore? What gives?
My current setup has the PC audio output via 4K hdmi to my 4K TV. Unfortunately, the TV downgrades the hdmi audio signal via ARC to stereo PCM to my NON 4K AVR. My AVR does not have 4k HDMI passthrough (Yamaha RX-A2000). I figure an optical digital out via PC sound card will solve my 1st world problems. Thank you very much folks.
Why not go directly to the avr? Also there are external sound cards available

B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
My PC is capable of 4k video output, so is my TV. I connected my 4K PC directly to my 4K TV via HDMI. If I connected the PC directly to the AVR, The AVR would not be able to pass through a 4K video signal to the TV, so I think anyway.
Are external sound cards better than internal cards? THX.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Does your TV have an optical sound out port?

B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
No, my Nvidia GTX 1080 video card does not have duel HDMI outs.
Yes, I believe my TV does have optical sound out, good idea. I think the TV ARC HDMI communication between my PC and TV, then outputting to my AVR really screws things up audio wise. THX.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want 4k video from pc to tv, connect HDMI directly to a TV and rely on HDMI ARC or use Audio out from TV to AVR.

B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
Thanks, I will try the optic sound out option from the TV to AVR this evening. Using the HDMI ARC option over complicates the matter in my opinion. I believe that via ARC, the TV and PC communicate with each other, then downgrade the audio signal to the the lowest common denominator, stereo sound gets output to the AVR due to mis-communication. Thank again.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@Beerman43 If it turns out your TV won't pass HDMI audio over optical due to HDCP or it downgrades to stereo; if you continue your pursuit for a sound card with optical out, check this one out for < $40. The top reviewer claims it works fine in Win 10.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Out of curiosity what 4k content are viewing from the PC

B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
Not much 4k content yet, I've only had the TV for a week or so, mostly youtube, AV forums, PC games, and some movies in 4k and 1080p. THX

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
I don't mean to get overly complicated Everett, but if I output my PC directly to my AVR, I will not have the Chroma Subsampling 4:4:4 that IMHO is necessary to view text on a TV screen. Most computer moniters already have this chroma feature. My last TV did not have this chroma technology and believe me, my eyes suffered for it. My TV screen in 4K 4:4:4 via PC looks stunning, I would not trade it in for surround sound codecs (I hope that is not Blasphemy here on this forum). THX

B

Beerman43

Enthusiast
I bought a Samsung 65" Q9FN QLED. I hung that bad boy on my wall. I plan to eventually get dual SVS SB16 ultras (sealed), only because I don't have enough room for the PB16 ultras (ported). I may eventually get separtes as well, once my bank account recovers. THX.

My current system -
Samsung 65" Q9FN (2018)
Yamaha RX-A2000 (2010)
Klipsch RF-83 floorstanding (2006)
Klipsch RC-64 center (2006)
Klipsch RS-62 surrounds (2006)
Klipsch RT-12d sub (2006)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis