C

Conor Knoxx

Enthusiast
Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but I'm not convinced I have my setup done correctly.
The PC is a great "do everything" platform, but can be a pain to get setup correctly. I'm using it for music, playback of downloaded video files, streaming (Netflex/Prime/ etc) and gaming.
Hardware: Sony 900H TV / Denon X4700 / Windows 10 computer with nVidia GTX1080 / 7.1.2 Paradigm speakers
HDMI from PC to "game" input on Denon / HDMI out to Sony.
Where it gets confusing:
the available options on the Denon - (movie / music / game / pure) and the sub-options in each. Should one setting "fit all" since its always the same input source?

Output options on PC - right-click the volume control to get "speaker setup" - I see Dolby atmos is an option - selecting it requires a trip to the Microsoft Store for a driver (very annoying!) and then there are numerous other options inside those settings, not the least of which is the audio quality drop down menu (bits and frequency)

It seems to me I'd just want the computer to send or pass through un-processed signals and let the Denon decide what it is, and what to do with it?
I pretty much always just see "(dolby logo?) Dsuround" on the Denon display - never "Atmos" or anything else..
Hopefully this discussion will make it easier for others setting this kind of thing up for the first time!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The one input is fine, as that's all you've got. Can't really help you with your pc audio choices or drivers needed but sounds like a trip to the driver store might be necessary....

C

Conor Knoxx

Enthusiast
don't think I have any driver issues... latest nVidia drivers, right from nVidia - are installed. I don't even know if I have a "problem" - just discussing the best setups... (won't know what I'm missing, until I hear something better..)
Having said that - dug into the sound device settings a little deeper - instead of selecting "Dolby Atmos" - I went into the device properties - under "spatial" I turned it off.
Now when playing a video, if I select the movie mode - I have many (all?) options available, which I didn't before.
I'm now making the assumption the computer is just sending the "raw" data to the Denon / the Denon has the options to upscale, select format, etc..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Digging into settings is always good. What you want to send optimally if you want the Denon to handle everything, is the bitstream (raw I suppose).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
don't think I have any driver issues... latest nVidia drivers, right from nVidia - are installed. I don't even know if I have a "problem" - just discussing the best setups... (won't know what I'm missing, until I hear something better..)
Having said that - dug into the sound device settings a little deeper - instead of selecting "Dolby Atmos" - I went into the device properties - under "spatial" I turned it off.
Now when playing a video, if I select the movie mode - I have many (all?) options available, which I didn't before.
I'm now making the assumption the computer is just sending the "raw" data to the Denon / the Denon has the options to upscale, select format, etc..
No problems. Just let everything do its job and you are good.

As for the Atmos option in Windows 10, it will convert all audio to Atmos output. What that means in terms of quality, I don't know. I don't use it for any of my PCs, but tried it briefly. I have plenty of movies with Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks and I don't need those re-encoded to whatever MS is doing with Atmos. I'll gladly let my receiver do all the audio processing.

Just set your PC output to 7.1 and call it a day. What are you using for video playback?

For games, I haven't tried the MS built in Atmos mode, but intend to when I have the time.

C

Conor Knoxx

Enthusiast
Using VLC player for music and videos.
There was certainly a noticeable difference when I turned the computer "spatial" setting to "off"
But I see there's some settings to adjust/play with / break... in the VLC software too, so that might be tonight's adventure. Half the trick with messing with computer settings is making note of where you started / what you did, so you can get back to that, if it all goes sideways! ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis