LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
Hi all. Question, I’m not a gamer but my 30yo daughter is and just received her new HP Omen 40L with a bunch of upgrades. When she first hooked up with display port. Then thought she’d try swapping to hdmi. When she did the pc kept blinking off to black. Switched back to display and fine??! I suppose it starts it’s journey from hp to custom shop as when she received it the packaging was sub par for a 2K pc. Also zero paperwork and missing keyboard and mouse ( she wasn’t using them but still) any ideas on hdmi issue? Cable was new. Some mentioned graphics card may have loosened in shipping. Was one og the upgrades to Nvidia G-Forge RTX 3060ti also upgraded to liquid cooling , memory. Next question. Thought’s on Klipsch 2.1 media speakers? Thanks for any input

Attachments

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all. Question, I’m not a gamer but my 30yo daughter is and just received her new HP Omen 40L with a bunch of upgrades. When she first hooked up with display port. Then thought she’d try swapping to hdmi. When she did the pc kept blinking off to black. Switched back to display and fine??! I suppose it starts it’s journey from hp to custom shop as when she received it the packaging was sub par for a 2K pc. Also zero paperwork and missing keyboard and mouse ( she wasn’t using them but still) any ideas on hdmi issue? Cable was new. Some mentioned graphics card may have loosened in shipping. Was one og the upgrades to Nvidia G-Forge RTX 3060ti also upgraded to liquid cooling , memory. Next question. Thought’s on Klipsch 2.1 media speakers? Thanks for any input
What display and what was the problem with the DP connection? I use the 3060 and have 5 monitors running off it, 3 DP and 2 HDMI and have no issues.

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
It’s playing through a gaming monitor. The DP is fine. But if she uses an hdmi instead of dp the whole pc just intermittently goes blank/off

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have had a similar issue. Make sure the DisplayPort cable and HDMI are not connected at the same exact time, even if one of the displays is powered off.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
  • Make sure video card and motherboard (or HP) have the latest drivers
  • If you are trying to display a 4K picture, make sure both the monitor and video card support 4k HDMI 2.0 at least
  • DP and HDMI should normally not be an issue
  • Not sure what monitor you are using, but you can normally update the firmware on most Dell and other brands.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, I'm not 100% sure what the issue is other than, if HDMI port on the PC is used, the display port goes blank? Does anything show on whatever the HDMI cable is plugged into?

I feel like I'm missing something.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Monitor is a Hp x27
Not the monitor it's only 1080P and does have HDMI 2.0 with no new firmware updates since launch. Did you upgrade the GPU to the RTX 3060? If so, you might want to check to ensure the power supply is large enough for it. Retail PC's usually have minimal sized power supplies. While I think you should be fine, it doesn't hurt to check.

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
Sorry not a huge computer guy, when she received the computer new the other day she hooked it up
Not the monitor it's only 1080P and does have HDMI 2.0 with no new firmware updates since launch. Did you upgrade the GPU to the RTX 3060? If so, you might want to check to ensure the power supply is large enough for it. Retail PC's usually have minimal sized power supplies. While I think you should be fine, it doesn't hurt to check.
all upgrades were done at HP at time order was placed. It’s 2 days old. Was a custom order

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry not a huge computer guy, when she received the computer new the other day she hooked it up

all upgrades were done at HP at time order was placed. It’s 2 days old. Was a custom order
If it's already having issues like this then I'd get it looked at. No reason a custom ordered 2 day old PC should have any problems that aren't driver related. Those you can fix (usually) but defective hardware should be replaced under warranty.

Do you have an alternate device to plug the HDMI cable into, or is this monitor your only choice?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
With the dp cable it seems to be just fine.
What is just fine? The video card or the monitor?

I ask because I want to know if the HDMI on the video card works with anything else (TV, another monitor) that has HDMI to determine if the HDMI port on the video card is bad or not. If the HDMI port on the video card works with everything but the HP monitor you have, then the monitor might have a bad port. Or it could be a bad cable.

If the only device you have to plug this PC into is the monitor, and it works with DP, then you're good. If you want to use the HDMI port on the video card for something else, you have to go through some specific troubleshooting to identify the cause of the issue. Right not, we have 3 possibilities, maybe 4.

1. The HDMI port on the video card is bad
  2. The HDMI port on the HP monitor is bad
  3. The HDMI cable you're trying to use is bad
  4. *The HDMI port on your motherboard is being used instead of the port on the video card
*this is important. Most, if not all, consumer (non-server grade) motherboards have a minimum of one HDMI port. Some will also have other video ports, but HDMI is "usually" the minimum. You want to make sure you aren't using this port because when an external video card is added (one plugged into a PCIE slot) you would normally disable the on-board video since it is no longer needed. This will make the on-board video ports, HDMI included, useless. So, make sure every cable is plugged into the video card when troubleshooting.

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
First off thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I might have prematurely started this post, my daughter had bought she doesn’t live at home. When she got it she unboxed it was very dissatisfied with the way it was packaged and the keyboard and mouse were missing, she has since contacted HP and they are sending replacements, she plugged it into her new monitor as previously mentioned with the DP connection and everything was fine, for sound at the moment all she had was headphones that were USB connection and realized her monitor had speakers we were playing with the settings to try to get it to play through the monitor, I’m not that familiar with a DP cable and wasn’t sure if it transferred audio and knew that HDMI does so I suggested we put the HDMI cable instead of the DP cable and that’s when the monitor began to periodically flicker to off and then back on about 30 seconds apart so we went back to the DP connection and it’s working as it should . Now you could be right as she plugged it into the wrong HDMI port, the cable was brand new but I understand that doesn’t mean it can’t be defective I believe she if she didn’t she’s going to try plugging the monitor in to her laptop with the HDMI cable which roll roll out either of those be defective. And I can’t be sure and she doesn’t remember if the possibility was that she plugged it into the wrong HDMI slot she sent me a picture of the back and from the picture I only see an HDMI on the graphics card but It could
Be that it wasn’t captured in the picture. She ordered a Klipsch ProMedia speaker set 2.1 and when that comes in and I have a day off we are going to try some more troubleshooting, again I appreciate all your help thank you

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
What is just fine? The video card or the monitor?

I ask because I want to know if the HDMI on the video card works with anything else (TV, another monitor) that has HDMI to determine if the HDMI port on the video card is bad or not. If the HDMI port on the video card works with everything but the HP monitor you have, then the monitor might have a bad port. Or it could be a bad cable.

If the only device you have to plug this PC into is the monitor, and it works with DP, then you're good. If you want to use the HDMI port on the video card for something else, you have to go through some specific troubleshooting to identify the cause of the issue. Right not, we have 3 possibilities, maybe 4.

1. The HDMI port on the video card is bad
  2. The HDMI port on the HP monitor is bad
  3. The HDMI cable you're trying to use is bad
  4. *The HDMI port on your motherboard is being used instead of the port on the video card
*this is important. Most, if not all, consumer (non-server grade) motherboards have a minimum of one HDMI port. Some will also have other video ports, but HDMI is "usually" the minimum. You want to make sure you aren't using this port because when an external video card is added (one plugged into a PCIE slot) you would normally disable the on-board video since it is no longer needed. This will make the on-board video ports, HDMI included, useless. So, make sure every cable is plugged into the video card when troubleshooting.
Not sure if this helps.

Attachments

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So that clears some of it up. That CPU doesn't have any sort of GPU built in so no need to worry on the on-board video stuff.

DP can carry audio same as HDMI so no worries there. If it works that way, leave it. I've had monitors that acted weird with HDMI, but not DP so I get the issue. It's annoying for sure, but as long as it works on DP and you don't need HDMI for anything at the moment, you are good to go.

The Klipsch system will just plug into the main audio out on the motherboard. That's simple enough.

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
Thanks again. I’ll update after speakers install. Then onto my own HT 7.1 setup.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Try changing the hdmi cable. If it blacks out its usually means it's faulty.

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
Used same hdmi and plugged in from monitor to laptop and works fine. So definitely something up with new pc. Sh actually got through to HP. Looks like they are going to replace it. Tech said he rather replace than troubleshoot. After she told them and sent pictures of how it was packaged they said something definitely not right. Should definitely had been in original HP box. I believe something very fishy with fedex. During shipping they changed ship date twice. Then it showed up earlier then lasted delivery date. Was sent required signature and they didn’t ask for one. During transport at some point someone did sign for it. And shipping label has it shipping from a company called image micro. Very strange stuff. So she will be called by HP today to resolve and at this point new replacement is only thing acceptable. It was packaged so poorly and most tape on box seemed re stuck.

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
So that clears some of it up. That CPU doesn't have any sort of GPU built in so no need to worry on the on-board video stuff.

DP can carry audio same as HDMI so no worries there. If it works that way, leave it. I've had monitors that acted weird with HDMI, but not DP so I get the issue. It's annoying for sure, but as long as it works on DP and you don't need HDMI for anything at the moment, you are good to go.

The Klipsch system will just plug into the main audio out on the motherboard. That's simple enough.
Well. Update. Ended up sending it back to HP. Very disappointed had to put up a fight to get a return processed on a 2 day old pc reported within minutes of delivery to be defective. After some fighting first they said they would exchange but could not commit to replacement being any better. They said they’ll issue refund less sales tax(wth?) they my daughter slapped them with all shipping box photos. Timeline of events screenshots. Copy of their returns policy. They then agreed to full refund including sales tax. So RGA showed up today and we shipped it back. And she is going with a built by local pc friend. I expected much better product and customer service from HP direct. I personally crossed them off my list of vendors.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Well. Update. Ended up sending it back to HP. Very disappointed had to put up a fight to get a return processed on a 2 day old pc reported within minutes of delivery to be defective. After some fighting first they said they would exchange but could not commit to replacement being any better. They said they’ll issue refund less sales tax(wth?) they my daughter slapped them with all shipping box photos. Timeline of events screenshots. Copy of their returns policy. They then agreed to full refund including sales tax. So RGA showed up today and we shipped it back. And she is going with a built by local pc friend. I expected much better product and customer service from HP direct. I personally crossed them off my list of vendors.
You should watch this:

Part 1

Part 2

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis