ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello,
I know there is a post here somewhere where a member showed how to wire in series two PC fans and power them with 120VAC-12DC adapter. I would like to place these on top of my receiver to draw some heat out and away from it. Thanks to all. PS: a link to get the parts would be appreciated.
Jeff :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Hello,
I know there is a post here somewhere where a member showed how to wire in series two PC fans and power them with 120VAC-12DC adapter. I would like to place these on top of my receiver to draw some heat out and away from it. Thanks to all. PS: a link to get the parts would be appreciated.
Jeff :)
FWIW, I'd try searching for y adapters ala
3 Pin Y Adapter
or
4 Pin molex Y adapter

Personally I find that a single 120mm fan does the trick for my Onkyo TX-SR707 in an enclosed cabinet. Used to get burning hot, and now at worst its a bit warm to the touch.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I'm using Thermaltake usb powered fans for my receiver and on my xbox. Picked them up from Amazon. There are usb plugs on pretty much every component these days..

Sorry, don't have a link to the thread you were talking about though

ahblaza

ahblaza

I picked up a 120mm fan with Thermsistor on it. Just attach the lead to a heat sink and the fan is thermally controlled.
Jin, I would like a fan that size that was not thermally controlled and USB powered or, I only want it on when I use my receiver or a PC fan that I can wire to a 12 volt adapter and plug it into the switched outlet on receiver so the fan comes on when I power up receiver.
j_n

jinjuku

jinjuku

Jin, I would like a fan that size that was not thermally controlled and USB powered or, I only want it on when I use my receiver or a PC fan that I can wire to a 12 volt adapter and plug it into the switched outlet on receiver so the fan comes on when I power up receiver.
j_n
You could just get a Scythe or something like that and wire a 12v DC adapter to the switched outlet on the AVR.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Guys whatever I get I would put the fan(s) so they draw the heat out rather than forcing the air into component, correct?
Thanks

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Fuzz, just what I was looking for:D
Yea, I love the thing, but wouldn't recommend it if you want to stay on budget :D

Guys whatever I get I would put the fan(s) so they draw the heat out rather than forcing the air into component, correct?
Thanks
Exactly. Forced air cooling can work as well, but for the most part I'd advise on avoiding it.

This looks like a winner, is the fan noise distracting Fuzz?
Nope, fan noise hasn't been a problem. It's noticeable when on high, but doesn't seem so bad, at least to me. On medium or low it's barely noticeable in a silent room. Plus it's a big fan so low or medium will probably be all you need.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm using this dual set to suck warm air out of a TV (it gets hot here) and it's okay. It doesn't pull much air but it's better than nothing and probably enough. If powering it off a USB charger just keep in mind that most chargers are limited to 500mAh (iPad chargers are more powerful) and if you daisy chain at all they start slowing down. I think the laptop cooler does a better job and even my beast of 906 is cool to the touch and it's cheaper. The fan isn't sitting flush with the top of the receiver but it keeps it cool and doesn't block air flow when the fan is off.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

one can use the AC to DC adapters that you get from broken appliances (or you can get a wallwart) and plug it into the switched outlet of your receiver

the 70/80mm fans will run even with lower than 12v current (even if you wire two of them together)
in fact, i purposely use lower than 12v to make them spin slower.

but the 120mm ones will spin too slowly if you don't give it 12v (i tried 11.3v)

i use a lighted fan because it helps me remember to turn off the AVR
and i have a very small clearance between the top of the receiver and the top shelf

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

one can use the AC to DC adapters that you get from broken appliances (or you can get a wallwart) and plug it into the switched outlet of your receiver

the 70/80mm fans will run even with lower than 12v current (even if you wire two of them together)
in fact, i purposely use lower than 12v to make them spin slower.

but the 120mm ones will spin too slowly if you don't give it 12v (i tried 11.3v)

i use a lighted fan because it helps me remember to turn off the AVR
and i have a very small clearance between the top of the receiver and the top shelf
Thanks Mike, I believe you were the original poster I was referring to with the PC fans cooling.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis