jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
My bad.
I've had my first ATI card for around four years now. Before that the NVIDIA cards I've had, didn't need the drivers removed.
I'm due for an upgrade.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
The only way to get the new audio formats is over HDMI. If you receiver doesn't support HDMI the audio will be plain DD or DTS not the new hi-def formats.

What components will you be using with the HTPC?
I'm using an Arcam AVR300. It's a few years old now, but is doing an admirable job of amplification/audio switching (which is all I've ever used it for - i.e. no video switching).

It doesn't have support for HDMI or hi-def audio formats, so as you've noted, I will be limited to DD/DTS and any analogue audio that's decoded by a Blu-ray player/PC.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
I'm using an Arcam AVR300. It's a few years old now, but is doing an admirable job of amplification/audio switching (which is all I've ever used it for - i.e. no video switching).

It doesn't have support for HDMI or hi-def audio formats, so as you've noted, I will be limited to DD/DTS and any analogue audio that's decoded by a Blu-ray player/PC.
Seeing as you won't be running you HTPC through your receiver with HDMI most of my points of getting the 4850 are mute, although it is still the best performing card for the price and if you eventually upgrade your AVR, which I would recommend, it would be nice to know you have that capability to get them from your HTPC to your HT.

So will you be running SPDIF from your HTPC to your receiver?

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Seeing as you won't be running you HTPC through your receiver with HDMI most of my points of getting the 4850 are mute
"Moot" dear boy, "moot" :D (Dr Pedantic, in the house)

Yea, the HDMI connection would go to the TV, so it would be nice to get the sound that way if I just want to watch something simple (something that doesn't really require the full audio system). But most of the time, I'd be running the speakers from the receiver... with sound going to it over whatever connection is suitable.

So will you be running SPDIF from your HTPC to your receiver?
Very probably. I guess that would give me 2ch uncompressed, and DD/DTS surround. If I wanted a HD audio format, I could let the PC decode it, and connect the L/R/SL/SR/C/SW audio outputs to the multichannel in on a AVR.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Very probably. I guess that would give me 2ch uncompressed, and DD/DTS surround. If I wanted a HD audio format, I could let the PC decode it, and connect the L/R/SL/SR/C/SW audio outputs to the multichannel in on a AVR.
Can't do that with your current AVR. The new HD sound formats can only go through HDMI and HDMI only if you use a PC. Even if you let the PC decode it, they still have to go through HDMI to your receiver. Now there are BD players that will send a TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA through the analog outs but those have certain DACs that are capable of doing that. There is no sound card out for PC that will allow you to do that via analog.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Can't do that with your current AVR. The new HD sound formats can only go through HDMI and HDMI only if you use a PC. Even if you let the PC decode it, they still have to go through HDMI to your receiver. Now there are BD players that will send a TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA through the analog outs but those have certain DACs that are capable of doing that. There is no sound card out for PC that will allow you to do that via analog.
Ah. That shows how out of touch I am then.

I'm surprised you can't get an analog out from the HD audio formats, as it's got to be put through a DAC at some point in order to be amplified. Or is it more of the industry paranoia; not allowing the material to be transmitted over anything but a content protected link?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Ah. That shows how out of touch I am then.

I'm surprised you can't get an analog out from the HD audio formats, as it's got to be put through a DAC at some point in order to be amplified. Or is it more of the industry paranoia; not allowing the material to be transmitted over anything but a content protected link?
It's all about DRM and content protection when it comes to high def.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
It's all about DRM and content protection when it comes to high def.
Yup. Thought it might be. When will these guys realise that they simply make life hard for the man on the street (their customers), and have pretty much zero effect on the professional pirates.

I've settled on an ATI HD 3870, as I can at least get sound over the HDMI connection to the TV. I was looking at a Sapphire Ultimate fanless card, but wanted to ask a few questions about it.

I joined the Sapphire forum, but never got the email that lets me confirm (so I can post). They don't seem to respond to any mails to their 'Contact Us' address either. Anyone got any experience with fanless Sapphire cards, or could recommend other fanless HD 3870s?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Yup. Thought it might be. When will these guys realise that they simply make life hard for the man on the street (their customers), and have pretty much zero effect on the professional pirates.

I've settled on an ATI HD 3870, as I can at least get sound over the HDMI connection to the TV. I was looking at a Sapphire Ultimate fanless card, but wanted to ask a few questions about it.

I joined the Sapphire forum, but never got the email that lets me confirm (so I can post). They don't seem to respond to any mails to their 'Contact Us' address either. Anyone got any experience with fanless Sapphire cards, or could recommend other fanless HD 3870s?
I don't know how much the 3870 costs but you should really look into the 4850 instead because of it's ability to do MPCM over HDMI and increased performance. The Radeon 3000 series is not very good in performance and the 4000 series are a huge leap ahead. Even though you don't have an HDMI receiver right now doesn't mean you will never get one eventually.

jinjuku

jinjuku

A second vote for the GeForce .
I never liked ATI due to the antiquated way they perform driver updates.
Also, a link to Tom's Hardware, Best Graphics Cards for the Money: June 08
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-cards,1942.html
The Radeon 4850 and 4870 are now out. They are game changing cards. That Tom's article is now old as dirt. Check anandtech/hardocp/techreport for more information on the latest of AMD/ATI's efforts.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
I don't know how much the 3870 costs but you should really look into the 4850 instead because of it's ability to do MPCM over HDMI and increased performance...
The Radeon 4850 and 4870 are now out. They are game changing cards. That Tom's article is now old as dirt. Check anandtech/hardocp/techreport for more information on the latest of AMD/ATI's efforts.
Many thanks for the pointer guys. I hadn't considered the 4000 series as I'd guessed it would be too expensive. However, the 4850 cards weren't much more than the fanless 3870 ULTIMATE, so I've taken the plunge and gone for one of those.

It appears that all the 4850 cards are pretty much identical right now (copies of the reference design) and they've all got fans. It's rated as being pretty quiet though, so cross fingers...

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
The 4850 is quiet and HOT. Be prepared to ensure a good airflow in your htpc case and/or a better card cooler (like zalman).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis