PBC's SVSound SB13-Ultra User Review!

T

tistru

Enthusiast
Over the past few days, I've been scouring the net looking at whatever reviews and comparisons I could find on various subs and compiling some results into a spreadsheet. This is a pretty gross approximation considering that I couldn't get data from the same reviewer using the same methodology across different subs. Nevertheless, I was just trying to get a picture of how the SB13 Ultra may compare to some other subs. Essentially, my data says that the SB13-ultra should be roughly -3db @20hz and <2db lower max SPL (up to 80hz) compared to the F113. See the attached thumbnail for the results I collected.

Some things to keep in mind:
- Again these numbers are just estimates. The numbers are not captured from the same review source for each sub so in some cases I modified the numbers slightly to make them more comparable.
- The rows are sorted by the 20hz output from largest to smallest
- Given the error in the data, it is fair to say that rows 9-11 have negligible differences in output (which is expected with those subs).
- I'm making an assumption that the SB13 ultra numbers will be slightly better than the discontinued SB13-plus results with all other test parameters being equal.

I think the overall picture here is consistent enough with expectations to be believable. Of course the ported subs have higher output (esp at 20hz) and the paradigms manage to overcome some of the sealed limitations with their tremendous amp power and multiple driver configurations. Whether or not that -3db difference at 20hz between the F113 and the SB13-Ultra will be noticeable in real-world listening is of course debatable. That is why I'm still waiting to hear PBC and Jakeman's comparison as that should be quite interesting. Once it is available and is thoroughly tested by Audioholics and other sites, hopefully we will see if the SB13-Ultra can manage to hit 100db at 20hz from 2m. That would be amazing given the size and price but from my findings, I doubt that will be the case. Likely close, but no cigar.

Cheers:D

Attachments

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Cool summary, I too think you're going to be closer to the 97-98db at 20Hz for the SB13.

Looking forward to Josh's measurements.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Really a pity...

That you didn't add a detailed description of how to do a sub crawl. :(

sub search.JPG

N

Numberonetrader

Audiophyte
I have the same salamander stand as you, and for sake of having a small room, would it be advisable to put bookshelf speakers on this sub. I would think they would bounce off, have u ever had that problem. I have c3 center and was thinking of getting s2 and putting them on top like you. You could email me off site to discuss this, thanks for any feedback.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Have never had that problem. I put them on Auralex Mopads so theyre tilted up somewhat and don't rest right on the sub.

N

Numberonetrader

Audiophyte
So if I bought 2 new svs subs that would alright. Did they vibrate when u put them on that sub? Did u try it that way? They seem shorter in height, so would the sub also have to be put on a pad also? I am just trying to have them all along the same plane, but was wondering if that would be to low?

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Ideally I'd want the tweeters as close to ear level as possible, so putting pads under the subwoofers would help a bit for sure. On my DIY subs which are 22-23 inches in height this is a bit less of an issue and I think with the slight angle the Mopads allows it works okay. I used to have them attached to wall mounts but because the studs weren't in the right places and I didn't want to mount the speaker on the wall without the support of a stud I took them down.

My DIYs are dual opposed as well so vibration is nonexistent. I haven't pushed the sb13 long enough and at the same time check the speaker vibration, but at 100 lbs for the sub alone I doubt it will vibrate at all. Add the weight of the S2 and the stability the Mopads provides and it is a non issue in my opinion.

N

Numberonetrader

Audiophyte
The aurelex mopads that you are using, are they the current version, as I will be hopefully be getting s2 in the future. Or maybe I could buy yours in the future. And do u know a company that makes pads for larger subwoofers?

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
The aurelex mopads that you are using, are they the current version, as I will be hopefully be getting s2 in the future. Or maybe I could buy yours in the future. And do u know a company that makes pads for larger subwoofers?
No idea what version the MoPad would be or if they've changed them over time. See here...

MoPAD Monitor Isolation Pads - Acoustic sound isolation products from Auralex Acoustics.

They also have subwoofer pads, this one should work and raise the SB13 up almost 3" and be hidden as it's 15" in length/depth.

Auralex Acoustics - SubDude(HD)

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Sorry for the delay! It's called "Big and Chunky" by Will I am...

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
pbc...

Thank you for this informative and entertaining review, loved that last video btw. (Windows Movie Maker :cool:)

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Glad you enjoyed it ... was my son's favorite part of the review as well! Hope you're enjoying your SB13-Ultra!

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Hi pbc...

I won the SB13-Ultra in a giveaway on another audio forum last Thursday and it is shipping out today from SVS. So I have just a couple more days before I can rewatch my favorite movies all over again. Going from my current Bic F12 sub to the SB13 is going to be such a giant leap in ultra low frequencies I can't bring myself to watch anything with my F12 now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis