PB12-NSD vs SB12-Plus

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Shipping on these two subs start the first week of September (PB12-NSD), and first week of October (SB12-Plus). $599 vs. $699. Ported vs. sealed. Different drivers. Both look outstanding. I'm tempted to order them both and see which prevails in my 13' x 35' x 9'H room (it opens up to a dinette and kitchen). I was close to ordering a Plus/2, but the large size is a bit of a factor. I know, the room is too big for either sub - but keep in mind, I'm pretty satisfied with the XSUB, so anything would be a huge improvement right now.

These smaller subs may work out great. A professional review can't be too far around the corner. Gene/Clint - any ideas on dates or shipments?

I'm also anxious to see what types of cabinets the new Ultra drivers will land up in (and when they'll be available). Can you imagine a sealed Ultra with a 1000 watt BASH amp?

http://www.svsound.com/news-news.cfm

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Big room Buck...maybe a duals of each if you can't swallow the Plus/2 box.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ron Temple said:
Big room Buck...maybe duals of each if you can't swallow the Plus/2 box.
I hear you. That sub is so "tiny" compared to everything else they sell, including the weight. 14"x14"x15" and 40lbs. :eek: It just doesn't seem right being an SVS, but it's got to be a great sub. It may only get down to ~22Hz, but I bet the punch is unreal.

It says right on the SVS site regarding the SB12-Plus:
"The bigger the room, the less this compensation is needed. Up to 2,400ft3 rooms the medium setting will tend to work best, and over 2,400ft3 the "Large" setting with the least subsonic filtering. Customers in this class are best served by more than one SB12-Plus or one of our larger more efficient subwoofers however. Each room is different, but matching your room's deep bass character with your subwoofer now is a twist of a knob away."

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Buck;
Your room is unusually large, so unless you were looking for a more aesthetically pleasing sub and have the room, I would suggest the ported subs over the SB12-Plus. If you'd be willing to consider B-stock, SVS has a PB12 (older model w/downfiring driver) w/the new NSD driver for $525 available right now.

I don't have any figures that would quantify this, but I would gather the PB12 w/the new NSD driver would go a bit deeper and provide more SPL than the SB12-Plus in your room. I'd consider dropping Tom, Ron and Erik at SVS an e-mail to see what they have to say... -TD

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If you do end up getting the SB-12, get the Piano Black one. Sexeh.

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
tomd51 said:
Buck;
Your room is unusually large, so unless you were looking for a more aesthetically pleasing sub and have the room, I would suggest the ported subs over the SB12-Plus. If you'd be willing to consider B-stock, SVS has a PB12 (older model w/downfiring driver) w/the new NSD driver for $525 available right now.

I don't have any figures that would quantify this, but I would gather the PB12 w/the new NSD driver would go a bit deeper and provide more SPL than the SB12-Plus in your room. I'd consider dropping Tom, Ron and Erik at SVS an e-mail to see what they have to say... -TD
They've already told me I need a Plus/2 or Ultra/2 for that room. I was going to order an oak Plus/2, but the samples they sent didn't match our decor, and the standard black Plus/2 doesn't have the parametric eq option - otherwise I'd already have a black Plus/2. I can't justify the cost of the piano gloss. I also considered the VTF3MK2, but with a discount at SVS, it's really a no brainer.

Maybe I'll hold out and see if they redesign either of those (Plus/Ultra II). I still have my 20% off coupon from a contest earlier this year, but it's only good through the end of the year, so hopefully some more "big boxes" get updated or the new Ultra comes out. Unfortunately, some of that 20% gets eaten up since I live in Ohio, and have to pay sales tax of almost 7%. :( It's still a nice discount.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What about a single driver plus? That should have more output then the SB-12 and better sound then an NSD.

Hm?

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
skip the built in parametric EQ on the black plus/2 and get a BFD :)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I found some demo info on the new sealed and entry level 12" subs. Here's the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8356588#post8356588

Here's an interesting quote:

ScottaDowns:
The size of the two subs was amazing. They both sounded amazing also. The PB12 really looks good. Typical SVS SUPERSIZED. The SB-12 was so small I wanted to hold it and cuddle with it!!!

As for sound as Kipp has explained the two subs sound great. But you can really tell when the big guy was on. Don't get me wrong the SB-12 rocked the house. But size does matter. The Pb-12 really cranked when I turned up the gain half way about 11PM and after 20 beers. That sub was hittin so hard the walls were shakin.

Ron from SVS came in and was looking around like "What the hell is that my sub". I was like Ron you were being to modest with it. Lets crank that bad boy up!!!!! Ron and Kipp turned up the Blue Man group. Then the neighbors complained. Now thats a sign of power.

SVS has really done a great job with those bad boys. If you need a small sub get the SB12 if you want a bigger sub with a tad bit more ummmphhhh get the big one. I know IM going to be selling the dual PB10's and upgrading to one PB12 NSD. From what Ron has said the PB12 is equal or if not better than the two PB10's. Now thats some power.
Here's another one.

Kipp Jones:
I have a PB2+ at home and I could not believe how much the PB-12 NSD and my PB2+ sounded alike. Bass was deep and clean. I felt that the PB-12 NSD has raised the bar in the price range of $599.00 subwoofers.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Larger room

Sounds like the PB12 NSD is a bargain!!! I was leaning toward the hsu stf 3. Since SVS is opening shop here(Canadian Retailer), I just can't wait. My room is 21 x 16 so the svs sb12 won't be enough:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
billy p said:
Sounds like the PB12 NSD is a bargain!!! I was leaning toward the hsu stf 3. Since SVS is opening shop here(Canadian Retailer), I just can't wait. My room is 21 x 16 so the svs sb12 won't be enough:D
WAAAAA!!!???? They are!? Where? When?

SheepStar

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I hope you Canadian guys can get a good deal, but you do have to understand that there will be additional cost even for a distributor that is buying in volume. Taxes and logistics may eat whatever discounts the distributor gets...and then there's margins. I'm sure there will be benefits though, especially on the big boys.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yes

Ron Temple said:
I hope you Canadian guys can get a good deal, but you do have to understand that there will be additional cost even for a distributor that is buying in volume. Taxes and logistics may eat whatever discounts the distributor gets...and then there's margins. I'm sure there will be benefits though, especially on the big boys.
the cost to us will be increased but I hate all the additional costs incurred ordering outside of Canada. Now my only concern is cost, plus taxes, then to my door. Beside I'm buying Canadian now;) .

Thanks, Bill
PS: Mr. Temple please keep us posted. :) Also BEF1 sorry for taking this thread in a different direction.

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have the Plus2, and couldnt be happier. Both the Plus2 and Plus are large subs, so I wouldnt get overly bent over the Plus2 being a little bigger. :D
View attachment 3558

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
billy p said:
Don't dismiss the Hsu quite so quickly. My suggestion would be to make your choice based upon price and perhaps, potential. One VTF-3 is more than adequate for my 4800 cu.ft. room. I now have two, which is prominent overkill....(but the headroom...oooh). Add in the possibility of attaching a turbo kit to one or both and I could have half the town knock-knock-knocking on my door. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't wish to start the which-is-better argument all over again. Hsu and SVS both make fine subs that will do a great job for you. Price should drive your decision, IMHO.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
rjbudz said:
Don't dismiss the Hsu quite so quickly. My suggestion would be to make your choice based upon price and perhaps, potential. One VTF-3 is more than adequate for my 4800 cu.ft. room. I now have two, which is prominent overkill....(but the headroom...oooh). Add in the possibility of attaching a turbo kit to one or both and I could have half the town knock-knock-knocking on my door. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't wish to start the which-is-better argument all over again. Hsu and SVS both make fine subs that will do a great job for you. Price should drive your decision, IMHO.
No I wasn't dismissing it!!;) @ $800.00 to my door it will be hard to beat.:D Just there's a choice now?

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Buckeye_Nut said:
I have the Plus2, and couldnt be happier. Both the Plus2 and Plus are large subs, so I wouldnt get overly bent over the Plus2 being a little bigger. :D
View attachment 3558
I have the plus and the plus/2 and face to, uh, face the plus/2 seems substantially larger than the plus; volume wise it's almost 25% larger and that's a lot when the plus is a big sub to start with.

Nice poster of the Incredibles you have on the wall - I've seen the movie before but I watched it last night for the first time with my 2 subs and it was absolutely incredible. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis