PB-2000 not impressed

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So what’ve been seeing is that most of the questions about vtf-3 mk5 vs pb-2000. I’m sure the vtf is better. But does the vtf compare to pb-3000?
They are all regarded as great subs... and many of us are eager for Shady to start getting his review going for the 3000s! :) My guess... the competition really begins at the 4000 series, though.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They are all regarded as great subs... and many of us are eager for Shady to start getting his review going for the 3000s! :) My guess... the competition really begins at the 4000 series, though.
Think @Danzilla31 has PB4000 and PB3000 but in different rooms. He might have some idea. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Think @Danzilla31 has PB4000 and PB3000 but in different rooms. He might have some idea. :)
I have the 4000 in one room and the sbd the SB 3000 in another.

I think the PB 3000 is very competitive I've heard a lot of seriously impressed people with that sub

I think the VTF3 will have the edge in the midbass tho hard to say haven't had a serious review come out yet with measuresments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oh forgot it was a sealed 3000. Just remembered all the jokes about the ports on your PB4000’s. LOL :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just wait, ADTG got 10 Subs!! Yeah 10 all in one HT room! He told me that his HT room is his therapy room.:D
Ahhhhhhh I can't wait to come visit his place!!! I won't come rolling in like Jim Carrey's the cable guy I promise! o_Oo_Oo_O

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Put it this way the vtf3 from 31.5hz to 100hz has a higher spl rating than the pb4000. If you want deep bass go with svs if your content lays a lot of deep bass but for the upper spectrum of subwoofer frequency get the vtf3. The vtf 15h takes this a step further adding a little for output than the vtf3 from 16hz to 100 cea-2010

B

bravo79

Audioholic Intern
So I did some more research and it looks like the SVS -PB12 plus is good to compare with the vtf-3 mk5 HP.
Here is the measurement for the PB12-Plus

SVS PB-12 PLUS.PNG

And the HSU at 2 meters
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP.PNG

And of course here the SVS -13 Ultra measurements

SVS SB-13 Ultra.PNG

Last edited:
B

bravo79

Audioholic Intern
So after reading this article or guide
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html#VIIIA
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of the measurements of frequency response, which we are comparing, were performed quasi-anechoically. That means that the measurements were taken outdoors, away from any other objects or structures, with the subwoofers sitting on the ground. Starting with the PB13, with the Sledge amp in extended mode, we can see that the subwoofer's native frequency response starts to roll-off slightly at about 30Hz. By 20Hz, the native response is down about 2db (about a 40% difference in perceived loudness at that frequency) and it then recovers a decibel (bumps up slightly) out to about 16Hz. Below 16Hz, which is really about the port tune, it rolls-off more rapidly.

Looking at the V3611, we can see that the subwoofer starts a slight roll-off at 40Hz. By ~30Hz, the response is down by ~1db, and by 20Hz, the response is down by about 3db (about a 60% difference in perceived loudness at that frequency). Below 20Hz, the subwoofer has a steady roll-off. By about 16Hz, the subwoofer is down 7 or 8db (well over a 100% difference in perceived loudness) compared to its native output at 40Hz and higher.

That is an enormous difference, compared to the PB13, and I think that the difference could be audible in most rooms, to many listeners, with the PB13 sounding relatively (slightly) heavier in the low-bass, and the V3611 sounding relatively more impactful in the mid-bass, at virtually any listening levels. The reason that I think that the difference in low-bass heaviness might be slight compared to the difference in mid-bass impact is just that there is more mid-bass content, and we might be more likely to notice differences there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the HSU dropped by 11.7 db from 40hz to 20hz where as the pb12 Ultra dropped only by 7.3db
My SB-13 Ultra dropped by 10.8. If I understood this correctly then the PB12 will have heavier bass then the HSU
The HSU will have 2 to 3 more db around 40hz and above. Of course my SB-13 Ultra will catch up aournd 63hz

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Do you still have your sb 3000 ? How you like it so far?
I actually really liked it but I ended up bringing it back in. I for some reason like ported subs better for music and movies now I don't know why. It used to be the other way around
Maybe I've just gotten more used to them
But it was very very good I was seriously impressed with it in movies
For such a tiny box it put out some good boom

B

bravo79

Audioholic Intern
I actually really liked it but I ended up bringing it back in. I for some reason like ported subs better for music and movies now I don't know why. It used to be the other way around
Maybe I've just gotten more used to them
But it was very very good I was seriously impressed with it in movies
For such a tiny box it put out some good boom
What did you get ?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What did you get ?
I just kept my RSL speedwoofer 10s for my bedroom it works just fine when I move to the new house in about 3vweeks I'll think about upgrading for real in the new bedroom

B

bravo79

Audioholic Intern
I have a little update on my SB-13 Ultra. I thought the sub was rattling things in my room but I found out that the rattle is actually is from the sub it self! Its coming from the amp in the back.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis