Pass Labs Concept Amplifiers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Pass Labs' new Concept Amplifiers are high-bias, Class A, monoblock models employing the company's acclaimed Ultra-Symmetry circuit. Originally designed by Nelson Pass for use at his own retreat, they were shown in "concept" form at the 2010 CES - however, demand from dealers & distributors has turned them into actual products for shipment later this year. They represent Pass Labs’ maximum design effort, and are like large versions of the company's flagship XA200.5 Amplifier, notable for its high output capacity, power and stability. Like the XA200.5, they deliver superb music without straining, and possess twice as much chassis, power supply, output stage and dissipation capacity.

Discuss "Pass Labs Concept Amplifiers Preview" here. Read the article.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
$45,000-70,000? :x
I believe they soak the output devices in kosher chicken fat blessed by a Rabi before assembling the amp. It's a rather time consuming and expensive process so that may partially explain the higher than usual price tag :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
$45,000-70,000? :x
This highlights the whole problem of making a rock solid stable class A solid state amp of over 100 watts.

I will say it again, if you want a bullet proof class A amp without all the problems, and their are big problems with the pass approach, then buy a Quad 909. Although the output triples are biased class AB, the performance is determined by the low power class A amp, in Peter Walker's brilliant feed forward design. No one has ever poked holes in Peter's math, nor his results and measurements of these wonderful amps. There is absolutely zero crossover distortion, with no error at all at the zero crossing. So they are truly class A performance. I can personally vouch for that.

For people using separates in superior systems, a Quad 909 should be a no brainer at least for the mains.

I have used them for going on forty years now and would never part with my "current dumpers".

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Interesting, just read up on those TLS Guy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis