B

Bob257

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking at the P6 with the A21+ combo. Anyone have any experience with them?? I DO have updateitis for sure. I'd be replacing my Yamaha 801. I'm using Focal 1028be speakers that I love. How would the Parasound combo compare with Yamaha 1200, Luxman 507, or McIntosh 7200?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am personally leary of any modern Parasound Pre-amp, due to the recent P5 volume knob fiasco!

I suspect that the P6 had to be designed/released b/c they figured out a design flaw on the P5.

A search of this forum will show you the problems on the P5 that I'm talking about.

And, it really is a shame because I do like Parasound. I personally own an older 1206 Amp and the ZCD.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would be scared of any Parasound preamp for a while.

I think all these newer Digital Preamps with DAC, USB, Coax, Optical, Bass Management, and other modern DIGITAL features are basically the same as AVRs or Pre-pros minus a few features.

Personally, I would either get a flagship AVR or a Pre-pro + amp.

As far as Integrated Amps (which are also basically AVRs minus all the other features), Yamaha is probably the best bang for your buck, especially with discounts.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Buy Yamaha best Customer service best reliability.
Highest resale on the used Market of all other manufacturers. Why? Yamaha doesn't sub out to China. Yamaha builds their gear in a Factory that they setup and pay higher Wages to the Skilled workers. Best QC also and service after the sale in and out of Warranty.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with Gmoney.

Luxman and McIntosh are really overpriced products with outstanding diminishing returns vs increase in cost, and no audible difference in normal designed working conditions.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking at the P6 with the A21+ combo. Anyone have any experience with them?? I DO have updateitis for sure. I'd be replacing my Yamaha 801. I'm using Focal 1028be speakers that I love. How would the Parasound combo compare with Yamaha 1200, Luxman 507, or McIntosh 7200?
Wow - that's quite the price upgrade! I am only familiar with the Luxman and Mac in passing, but they seem to be very high quality unit (and nice looking to boot!). I can't say anything about the Parasound combo's reliability but I do know (having had one of their amps in the past) that the sound quality is excellent.

I did, however, have the Yamaha A-S801 and I did not truly realize what a fantastic unit it was until after I was forced to sell it last fall. Going up in their line to, as you mentioned, the A-S1200 will lose some functionality (the DAC) but a possible increase in sound quality (there are plenty here on AH that will argue that point). The 1200 is also much better looking and built to a higher standard. Why are you stopping at the 1200 if you are willing to pay so much more for the others? Accessories 4 Less has some good deals on the A-S3000:
And Music Direct has a great deal on an A-S2100 in silver:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If I were in your shoes, I see two upgrade approaches.
1) If you just want to upgrade the amp "just because" I would go with the Yamaha 1200. My perspective is both Luxman and McIntosh are botique brands and you are paying a lot of money for the name. The Yamaha 1200 is, arguably, a botique product, but Yamaha is a well established brand that offers a good high quality product at a fair price!
2) (my preference) Find an integrated amp or AVR that has bass management and add a subwoofer. If taking this direction, I would avoid Yamaha because their bass management does not include effective compensation for room effects. I would look for a receiver with either Audyssey XT32 (with app) or Dirac. There may be another I am missing. You can also speak with Tom V. at Power Sound Audio (subwoofer company) about using the AntiMode system with whatever amp you are considering.
I certainly liked the 1028be speakers, but they don't have the bass of a properly integrated subwoofer!

E

Even Harmonics

Audiophyte
Op or anyone else who comes upon this thread:

The question was reagrding the Parasound P6. While several pointed out known issues with the P5 volume control, that has zero to do with the P6. The P6 uses a completely different VC. The P5 had an Alps unit which was the issue with the P5. The P6 uses a Burr Brown resistor ladder VC which is a proven high quality solution. Everything you read here about the P5 VC issues does not apply.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Op or anyone else who comes upon this thread:

The question was reagrding the Parasound P6. While several pointed out known issues with the P5 volume control, that has zero to do with the P6. The P6 uses a completely different VC. The P5 had an Alps unit which was the issue with the P5. The P6 uses a Burr Brown resistor ladder VC which is a proven high quality solution. Everything you read here about the P5 VC issues does not apply.
While this is likely true, anyone considering the P6 should understand the flaws of the P5 before going into that purchase, and the reports of the unsatisfied customers that got stuck with lemon P5 and no real resolution from Parasound.

The P5 is certainly enough to make anyone take pause and reflect, before going for the P6.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
As someone who has owns/owned many Parasound amps (A23/A21/A52/A51/A31) the reason I kept going back is that they performed well and the one time I thought I had an issue with one of the channels on my A52, it was addressed quickly, returned quickly and cost me nothing. I do believe it is a pretty small company as I was talking to Richard Schram over there.

As for the P5 issues, it was significant, I remember one person on this site sending back multiple times, I also remember that person receiving an upgraded model at no additional cost. Since it is a newer unit, I would suggest looking at alternatives, or wait until it has been out for a while longer and see the feedback on it.

As someone who uses their product, even I would look at alternatives to the P6. That being said, I do believe that their customer service is top notch. No one company is perfect, but its one reason why I have stayed with this brand.

There is feedback both positive and negative on audiogon, I do like the fact that parasound replies back and helps to address issues. It's also the number one reason I buy my equipment from a local dealer if at all possible. Customer service issues are time consuming and can be a big headache, my dealer handles those issues for me, which is definitely worth it.

Parasound service problems | Audiogon Discussion Forum

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am personally leary of any modern Parasound Pre-amp, due to the recent P5 volume knob fiasco!

I suspect that the P6 had to be designed/released b/c they figured out a design flaw on the P5.

A search of this forum will show you the problems on the P5 that I'm talking about.

And, it really is a shame because I do like Parasound. I personally own an older 1206 Amp and the ZCD.
The new control isn't a problem and they replaced it during the time that thread was alive. Maybe it would be better to make recommendations based on experience with the new model, rather than holding a grudge on the one they discontinued.

The P6 has volume preset for power on- that should tell you something about the new volume control. They also increased the MC phono gain- I don't know if it was due to the conversation I had with Richard, but he responded to someone, by making the change.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The new control isn't a problem and they replaced it during the time that thread was alive. Maybe it would be better to make recommendations based on experience with the new model, rather than holding a grudge on the one they discontinued.

The P6 has volume preset for power on- that should tell you something about the new volume control. They also increased the MC phono gain- I don't know if it was due to the conversation I had with Richard, but he responded to someone, by making the change.
I qualified that post by using "personally".

To me, in my experience and with the info available, I will personally pass on the P6.

I don't deny that it is kind of holding a grudge, and perhaps I am now unfairly biased against the P6. But, regardless, I am leery.

D

daniele767676

Audiophyte
Hello, I can offer my 2 cents as Parasound P6 owner.

I had to setup a system in my second home, and to keep things simple I went for an "all-in-one" solution by hooking up a Marantz 8802 to serve as preamp/streamer duties and a Parasound A21 to power my Sonus Faber Sonetto V coupled with 2 SVS SB2000 subs (system started with smaller speakers and subs, but that is another story).
Notwithstanding the flagship nature of the 8802, it just sounded so flat and uninspiring in 2ch audio.
The P6 represented the perfect solution as it allows me to pass through both front channels and 2 subs (I do not know of any other preamp which can do that.
To stream I added at first a Cambridge Audio CXN, and then later exchange that for a Cambridge Audio 851N.

Here are my remarks
1) The P6 + CXN combo trounched the 8802: sound was much more three dimensional, soundstage was deeper and vocals warmer
2) The 851N brought a significant upgrade, its DAC much more musical to the CXN. Combined with the P6 the comparison to the 8802 was night and day difference. Surprised also what and upgrade the 851N was to the CXN from a soundstage and realism in the vocals perspective
3) The internal DAC of the P6 is much grainier with an "etch-the-sketch" feel compared to the CXN. When compared to the 851N, it becomes an emergency use DAC. not impressed
4) I find the bass management system of the P6 actually redundant. Hard to reach (although not as bad as an Emotiva XSP), it is best left off and use the bass management built into the subs. The High Pass frequency is also hardly necessary: my speakers go down to 38hz, so I crossed over the subs at 50hz with a 18dB roll off and the overlap is subtle and pleasant.

MY PERSONAL CONCLUSIONS
The P6 is an ok preamp musically, with great HT passthrough capabilities. Although it is an entry level preamp, even when coupled with a modest streamer like a CXN it is musically leaps and bounds better than a top of the line Marantz AVR processor.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow - that's quite the price upgrade! I am only familiar with the Luxman and Mac in passing, but they seem to be very high quality unit (and nice looking to boot!). I can't say anything about the Parasound combo's reliability but I do know (having had one of their amps in the past) that the sound quality is excellent.

I did, however, have the Yamaha A-S801 and I did not truly realize what a fantastic unit it was until after I was forced to sell it last fall. Going up in their line to, as you mentioned, the A-S1200 will lose some functionality (the DAC) but a possible increase in sound quality (there are plenty here on AH that will argue that point). The 1200 is also much better looking and built to a higher standard. Why are you stopping at the 1200 if you are willing to pay so much more for the others? Accessories 4 Less has some good deals on the A-S3000:
And Music Direct has a great deal on an A-S2100 in silver:
I couldn't find the A-S3000, but did find the AS-2200 in there for $4000! For a 90 wpc integrated stereo amp???

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I couldn't find the A-S3000, but did find the AS-2200 in there for $4000! For a 90 wpc integrated stereo amp???
The power output of 90WPC and 100WPC of the Yamaha, Marantz, and Luxman $4K Integrated Amps is kind of puzzling considering how inexpensive amp-power seems to be.

Even the $10,000 Yamaha M5000 amp is 100WPC.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The power output of 90WPC and 100WPC of the Yamaha, Marantz, and Luxman $4K Integrated Amps is kind of puzzling considering how inexpensive amp-power seems to be.

Even the $10,000 Yamaha M5000 amp is 100WPC.
I know, right? I'm with you man. At that point just get a flagship avr.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know, right? I'm with you man. At that point just get a flagship avr.
The $3K Benchmark amp is also 100WPC.

So do Yamaha, Marantz, Luxman, and Benchmark think that 90-100 WPC is all that any speaker system ever need? :D

Yet I’ve sold a some A-S2200 and A-S3200 to clients who obviously don’t care. Don’t even suggest any kind of AVR to them. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis