parasound hca-1205a issues stays in protect

S

strat1953

Audiophyte
im working on this amp. it will not come out of protect? i even disconnected all the amp modules and it still will not power on? anyone know the issue with this model? the protect board looks fine.no puffy caps or burn marks? Help

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
im working on this amp. it will not come out of protect? i even disconnected all the amp modules and it still will not power on? anyone know the issue with this model? the protect board looks fine.no puffy caps or burn marks? Help
You need to seek out PENG, he’s a member on AH
He’s highly regarded on AH.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Call Parasound and talk with John. He is in technical support.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I did find a circuit. It is a fussy complicated design like a lot of gear now.

I suspect the problem is in the power supply. This will not be easy to trouble shoot without the correct test gear and experience. If you lack either it will require professional service, which means shipping it to Parasound. If you muck about with it you will almost certainly do more harm than good.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't seen @PENG in a couple days now. I've summoned him in a couple different threads.
Can't help without the service manual. As always, it is best to contact the manufacturer. It is >20 years old but hopefully they would still support it.

@strat1953 , I assume if you had disconnected the amps, you must have also checked the fuses especially the main power fuse? If the fuse is good, then as TLS suggested, the power supply likely have failed, but what caused it to fail would be a different story.

it will not come out of protect?
Was it before you disconnect the amp modules? If so, does that mean you were able to power on with the amp modules still connected, but the "Standby" LED would remain "On"?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I happen to own a similar vintage 1206.

Perhaps this resource would be helpful for you, I suspect that I may have to perform this work on my 1206 one day.

Note--The 1206 does not have bleed-off resistors on the filter caps, I don't know about the 1205. If it does not, then you should manually bleed off the filter caps charge before working on the amp. A shock from one of those charged caps will not be pleasant!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I happen to own a similar vintage 1206.

Perhaps this resource would be helpful for you, I suspect that I may have to perform this work on my 1206 one day.

Note--The 1206 does not have bleed-off resistors on the filter caps, I don't know about the 1205. If it does not, then you should manually bleed off the filter caps charge before working on the amp. A shock from one of those charged caps will not be pleasant!

Good info, but if I had such an amp I would try to repair it myself for cheap, definitely won't invest $350 on a 20 year old 5X140 W amp. There are low cost options such as the Outlaw M5000, for $650.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Good info, but if I had such an amp I would try to repair it myself for cheap, definitely won't invest $350 on a 20 year old 5X140 W amp. There are low cost options such as the Outlaw M5000, for $650.
Agreed! Yeah, it's a great amp, but I would do the work myself, esp if it is "just replacing filter caps", should be fairly easy work.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis