Parasound Halo P 5 Stereo Preamplifier Preview

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just the Type B connector, though I'm not sure I see the problem? The appropriate USB cable is dirt cheap.
I guess you are right, I think I even have a type B cable already.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am tired of having to burn CDs (in order to have my favorite pieces on one disc) for use with my analog only preamps. Does the P5 has a standard USB type A connector, or just one of those sqaurish looking type B?
I haven't burned a single CD since I got Airplay & now ROKU3. I just stream lossless audio files to ROKU or Airplay. Another reason I would never get analog components. :)

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes I know, was going to remind you of that too.:confused:
The BDP-105 has 2 type-A USB ports which can handle data, drives, sticks etc, and one USB Type-B for the USB DAC

I should clarify that what I need is a USB 2.0 input that can be used with a usb drive so the P5 won't work for me.
The P5 where the USB Type B port is under digital inputs, so this is likely a USB DAC only; No drives.

About mid-page you will find some pictures of the P5 in black:

2013 CES Show Report Part 1 - Robert Kozel - SECRETS CAVE

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The BDP-105 has 2 type-A USB ports which can handle data, drives, sticks etc, and one USB Type-B for the USB DAC

The P5 where the USB Type B port is under digital inputs, so this is likely a USB DAC only; No drives.

About mid-page you will find some pictures of the P5 in black:

2013 CES Show Report Part 1 - Robert Kozel - SECRETS CAVE

- Rich
In my other 2 channel R900 all analog system I need a DAC to play digital stuff as I am getting too lazy to burn disc and/or keep changing disc. I used the AV7005 for a while but am giving it away so I now need a DAC that accepts USB type A. The 105 is in the other room and it seems an overkill to buy another 105 or even 103 just to use it as a DAC. I should have kept the 95..

Too bad Oppo does not have a USB (non Asynchronous type) DAC for like half the price of the 105 using the same ESS chip.

RichB

RichB

In my other 2 channel R900 all analog system I need a DAC to play digital stuff as I am getting too lazy to burn disc and/or keep changing disc. I used the AV7005 for a while but am giving it away so I now need a DAC that accepts USB type A. The 105 is in the other room and it seems an overkill to buy another 105 or even 103 just to use it as a DAC. I should have kept the 95..

Too bad Oppo does not have a USB (non Asynchronous type) DAC for like half the price of the 105 using the same ESS chip.

You could use a USB type B to type A converter:

Amazon.com : USB Type A Female to USB Type B Male Adapter : Electronics

Oppo showed off this prototype USB DAC and headphone Amp at IFA:

Pacific NW Home Theater Get Together | Reference Home Theater

- Rich

RichB

RichB

My understanding is that it won't work even with a converter if the type B is for Asynchronous, but I could be wrong. Have you tried it yet?
No, I thought they were just connectors.
Send a message to Oppo, they should know.

- Rich

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Hearing is believing.

XT Flat DEQ is the real deal for both 2CH & MCH music & movies. The difference is astronomical. Night & day.

Sometimes I still can't believe it. So I go back to PD mode. Man, PD sucks. :eek:

What's the saying? Ignorance is bliss? :D

Believe it. :)

Thank you, Audyssey! ;)
I agree but some people don't want to do ADC conversion, then room correction, then DAC..... if they're source is analog and this I understand very well.....

RichB

RichB

Hearing is believing.

XT Flat DEQ is the real deal for both 2CH & MCH music & movies. The difference is astronomical. Night & day.

Sometimes I still can't believe it. So I go back to PD mode. Man, PD sucks. :eek:

Thank you, Audyssey! ;)
Someday you may want to give a listen to the analog outs of a player like the BDP-105 or a dedicated DAC for 2 channel.
Maybe do an A/B comparison of CDs played over HDMI versus COAX.

These have produced similar reactions from me ;)

- Rich

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Audyssey is pretty good, I'll admit that up front. And I don't even have 32XT yet(multEQ XT). But I haven't yet been able to get it to reproduce the jaw dropping holographic sound stage that my 2 channel rig can do with some tracks. On the other hand the 2 channel system can't eq the sound to the room which becomes an issue at louder volume levels. The Oppo 95, Parasound A21 and Paradigm Signature S6 combo can be pretty impressive aside from that.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Hearing is believing.

Thank you, Audyssey! ;)
Better, or just different? For those of us that get relatively flat in-room frequency response without EQ beyond about 125Hz, I've been wondering what improvement these room correction facilities could make. For you, ADTG, one benefit is obvious, you get better sub integration. For the upper seven octaves on a 2.1 system, I wonder what these correction algorithms are dong. I'm going to have to find someone local with a decent set-up to measure with and without Audyssey engaged on OmniMic.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For you, ADTG, one benefit is obvious, you get better sub integration. For the upper seven octaves on a 2.1 system, I wonder what these correction algorithms are dong. I'm going to have to find someone local with a decent set-up to measure with and without Audyssey engaged on OmniMic.
My guess is that Audyssey flat alone has done nothing for him in his setup but he is the kind of people, like me, who listen at well below THX level. So since he started to engage Dynamic EQ recently he became a believer in Audyssey but again only with DEQ engaged, when he obviously will be getting boost in the higher frequency range as well.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My guess is that Audyssey flat alone has done nothing for him in his setup but he is the kind of people, like me, who listen at well below THX level. So since he started to engage Dynamic EQ recently he became a believer in Audyssey but again only with DEQ engaged, when he obviously will be getting boost in the higher frequency range as well.
You might be right. In the few systems owned by others that I've measured I've found that they seem to like very exaggerated bass and a somewhat elevated lower midrange. I admit my sample size is very small (four systems), but the similarities struck me. Usually the bass emphasis is attained by placing the placing speakers near corners or close to the back wall. I think the near-corner placement is also affecting the lower midrange. In two cases we moved their speakers around to achieve a much flatter response and they didn't care for the results, even though it measured better at their listening seat. Are these digital processing systems aimed at being more accurate, or more exciting at the expense of accuracy?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis