Parasound A23+ vs. Emotiva XPA-DR2

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Plus if you really think about it, the speakers are the ones producing the sound. The job of the electronics is to send the signal to them and almost all maufacturers have the same goal of making sure that signal reaches the speakers as intact and accurately as possible.
This! Well said!
The individual drivers being used, the design of the enclosure, and the execution of the crossover, coupled by the way that whole system of the speaker interacts with your room; that is your SQ in a nutshell, all other things being equal.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would look at offerings by Salk Sound, if you are considering an upgrade to speakers. Dennis Murphy's XO work is outstanding, and together, they have built some amazingly nice speakers. Reach out to Jim and have a conversation with him about what you want to achieve.
Otherwise, I agree with most of what has been said... the amp is only going to improve your system if you have speakers being starved of power. If you have low sensitivity speakers and want reference level sound, you need an amp. Absolutely. If you have High sensitivity speakers and never listen above -15dB, any old AVR can drive that. :)
I agree with your Salk suggestion. They make some very good, accurate speakers. @Bucknekked and I live within very reasonable driving distance from each other and he was kind enough to invite me over for a listen to his Song Towers. I was very, very impressed with the sound coming from them. They're gorgeous speakers too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, I just looked up this amp. No. I can not afford a $15k used mc1kw. I’m just questioning if I can get more sound quality than what I have with my current setup. After all of the reading of reviews and forums and visits to multiple shops, I’m still stuck on my next move. Every review, forum, and blog is so bipolar. Do I go upgrade my amp or my prepro or my speakers? One does better at music and another at HT. (Hysterically laughing). And the only reason I have this internal conflict is because I listened to a much more expensive setup and heard a difference. I just can’t decide on my next move. Oh, and I’ve been researching since early last year.
Everyone can hear a difference when comparing stuff. To avoid unnecessary spending (unless money no object), it is important to figure if the difference is really "better" objectively speaker or "better" to you, or just different. Most importantly, what caused the perceived difference, how could be be sure it was simply because a different preamp, processor, or power amp was used, or something else.

So far if I understood right, your have XPA-5 gen2 for power amp and Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 speakers. I would between the two, the speakers are the weaker link. If you can find a way to audition Dennis Murphy's BMR, there is good chance you will like them unless you prefer speakers that are not on the neutral/accurate side. Other good alternatives are Focal 1008 Be, KEF R3, Revel M126 Be.

D

darknrg

Audiophyte
I'm really glad to see all the activity on this thread today, thrilled to see Gene chime in. I started this back in January and should update everyone that I did go with the Parasound. However, I now have a shot at a used Classe CA-2300 and am very seriously considering it. Still using the Paradigm Tributes. I really like them for music, just looking to feed them the best A/B amplification I can afford. Anyone have any personal experience with Classe, want to offer an opinion, suggestions? Also, I see some discussion on speaker choice here. I'm very curious about Tekton Designs speakers, another internet company. The Double Impacts have drawn a lot of attention. I'd love to hear a pair of the Ulfberhts. They've just released the new Moab model. Has anyone heard any of their speakers? Thoughts?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm very curious about Tekton Designs
I talked with Eric a lot last year when I was speaker shopping. I was very interested. I was a plane ticket away to flying to SLC to audition the DIs at his shop. In general, I really appreciated his time and willingness to work with me on planning the system I was considering purchasing... The reviews were all stellar... Even talked to a guy here that owned a pair of Pens and was going back to get some DIs for his mains, and was moving the Pens to surround!
...but something didn't sit right, for me.
At the time, there was a paucity of any testing... just the DI Monitors. And even though they didn't test bad, that review left more questions than it answered.
I then had the opportunity to audition some Philharmonic Audio speakers locally... after which I ordered that night from Dennis! ...and cancelled other plans to go to San Clemente to hear Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers.

I am still, and will likely continue to be curious about Eric's work for sometime to come. But unless I ever start to see some legit 3rd party testing of his main offerings that look as good as Philharmonic's did, and Salk's and Ascend's do... there is no point in furthering that pursuit.

If you get a chance to hear some, please share!...

Otherwise, check out Salk Sound for some truly beautiful speakers that actually measure very well... Flat, clean, accurate. :) Dennis Murphy of Philharmonic Audio helped design Jim's speakers. I haven't heard better. Ascend Acoustics and Selah Audio are very, very close behind by most counts.

Just my 2¢.

Cheers!

pacman9270

pacman9270

Enthusiast
So go with a Crown XLS 1002 and don’t look back because it sounds just as good as a Bryston, Emotiva, or McIntosh amp?

pacman9270

pacman9270

Enthusiast
So go with a Crown XLS 1002 and don’t look back because it sounds just as good as a Bryston, Emotiva, or McIntosh amp? And is dramatically less expensive.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So go with a Crown XLS 1002 and don’t look back because it sounds just as good as a Bryston, Emotiva, or McIntosh amp? And is dramatically less expensive.
To quote myself from another thread:
The way I look at it is if you have the money to match the budget there's nothing wrong with going for the more expensive gear whether it measures better or not. Most of what we talk about when it comes to stuff like that I think is pretty much inaudible. Better materials, attention to detail, ergonomics and overall looks does matter tho. The message I think most of us (at least I do) try to get across is go ahead and get what makes you happy, but understand what you're paying for. By the same token, I have to admit I can be known to take a little offense when someone comes on here and craps all over what I can afford on the assumption that I don't know what good sound is or have inferior hearing because there's no way that stuff can compete.

If I had the dough you can bet I'd have the gear to go with it. I personally love the way McIntosh gear looks and would proudly display it if I had it, or any other high end gear.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So go with a Crown XLS 1002 and don’t look back because it sounds just as good as a Bryston, Emotiva, or McIntosh amp?
It was suggested to me that if I chose that path I should do the XLS 1502 because it has a better SNR. Whether its audible or not...
:)
I'm happy with my Outlaws!
:D

D

darknrg

Audiophyte
Thanks Ryanosaur! Will have to do some homework on the Philharmonic Audio. Yes, it was Stereophile magazine that did the review and measurements on the Impact monitor. They weren't in line with what was being claimed. The measurements were still good. The 4 ohm rating wasn't there but the measurements still good for 8 ohm speaker. I'm sure their numbers are exaggerated, something they've no need to do based on reviews I've seen. Anyone else heard any of their gear?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Will have to do some homework on the Philharmonic Audio.
Sadly Philharmonic Audio is closed now. Dennis had a health scare earlier this year. Though I know he is still active, I do not believe he is selling his gear any longer. Jim Salk at Salk Sound is the place to go, imho, as Dennis hand he have been longtime colleagues. :)

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
This! Well said!
The individual drivers being used, the design of the enclosure, and the execution of the crossover, coupled by the way that whole system of the speaker interacts with your room; that is your SQ in a nutshell, all other things being equal.
It's all in how your speakers handle the waves man. If your gear... man, clips the waves man than your speakers are going get sick. They be like a screaming crying baby that ain't been fed a bottle in 3 hours sure don't want speakers to get sick man. That's why I dig surfing man it's all about finding that right wave. Yeah I can dig it with you gear heads man. It's like finding the right surfboard man to match the right wave.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I'm really glad to see all the activity on this thread today, thrilled to see Gene chime in. I started this back in January and should update everyone that I did go with the Parasound. However, I now have a shot at a used Classe CA-2300 and am very seriously considering it. Still using the Paradigm Tributes. I really like them for music, just looking to feed them the best A/B amplification I can afford. Anyone have any personal experience with Classe, want to offer an opinion, suggestions? Also, I see some discussion on speaker choice here. I'm very curious about Tekton Designs speakers, another internet company. The Double Impacts have drawn a lot of attention. I'd love to hear a pair of the Ulfberhts. They've just released the new Moab model. Has anyone heard any of their speakers? Thoughts?
Stay with what you have that A/B amp you just got is a good one. What are you expecting from another amplifier? Different sound quality? Better lower end from your speakers? Unless you dump everything you have now and move up the food chain you'll be wasting money. Before you spend another dime on an amp save up your coin for better speakers.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I loved my Emotiva XPR-1 monoblocks but they died after the warranty expired and Emotiva refused to service them.
I picture you torturing those poor amps to death and not even God being able to put the magic smoke back into them.

Just a hunch.

pacman9270

pacman9270

Enthusiast
Thank you for all the input everyone! In the end, I know that it is all about what my ears, style, and budget can afford.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I picture you torturing those poor amps to death and not even God being able to put the magic smoke back into them.
Just a hunch.
Speaking of which, have you heard anything from Walter lately? Any idea if he is still kicking?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis