Paramount plus picture is WOW!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I swore I was done signing up for streaming services but here I am once again with a new streaming service, Paramount+. I've only watched a few movies so far but Mission Impossible 3 was wow, I mean wow awesome picture quality, HD 1080p so nothing special, not 4k. The picture quality from this service is amazing. I just close a random movie, I know what you did last summer and it too looks incredible.
They do have some 4k Dolby Vision/HDR content but I haven't checked any out yet. I'm just super impressed with HD 1080p right now.
Oh I have it as a add on channel from Amazon prime. Any difference between that and the regular stand alone app.? I don't see certain channels that I saw in some YouTube videos, like "The Smithsonian channel" is supposed to be somewhere on this service but I can't find it. I do have the 9.99 premium plan.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't tried that one yet, but do have Showtime, HBO and HBOMax channels via Amazon Prime. Usually the Amazon Prime channel itself has more frequent problems (audio sync in particular) but have generally not found any problems (or particularly exceptional quality) with 1080p content (which is all I watch, no 4k set yet). Don't know what differences there are between the "channels" and using each service directly, but can't think of any particular limitations I've noticed in content.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Out of the 1080p streamers, I think Peacock has the best quality. For 4K, it's Netflix for me despite having a Samsung TV. (Full disclosure: I don't have AppleTV+ anymore. That actually might be better.)

Please note that there are 4k Smithsonian shows on Paramount+.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Out of the 1080p streamers, I think Peacock has the best quality. For 4K, it's Netflix for me despite having a Samsung TV. (Full disclosure: I don't have AppleTV+ anymore. That actually might be better.)

Please note that there are 4k Smithsonian shows on Paramount+.
Get out, there are 4K Smithsonian shows? HDR too or 4K?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, have been using Paramount+ for a coupla weeks now, but nothing amazing in picture/audio, just standard fare....and limited content, probably won't keep it around....

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am curiuos on the Sony streaming service (Bravia Core) that is on my A80J its it supposed to be at a higher bit rate. I don't know if anyone has tested/compared to other services.

"Bravia Core is for the enthusiasts The new streaming service Bravia Core should offer a solution for this group of enthusiasts. It uses a very high bitrate for streaming concepts, so that the image quality is comparable to that of Ultra HD Blu-ray. Bravia Core can stream 4k video with a maximum bitrate of 80Mbit / s."

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
This my thread so I'll blow it up. Please turn the god dam ad that starts up on this crappy $hit Azz Tapatalk! I'm so god dam sick of it!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Some time again I posted a thread on how to disable Spamatalk signature spam. Just saying

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like you need a wireless connection with at least a speed of 115Mbps to get the 80Mbit /s.
Advantage of droping ComCrap and cord cutting, well at least I still have fiber: Full disclosure that is from my wired PC. I have whole home Cat 6E in pretty much every room except bathroom and laundry room ;)
internet.JPG

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, have been using Paramount+ for a coupla weeks now, but nothing amazing in picture/audio, just standard fare....and limited content, probably won't keep it around....
Why does every company need its own Netflix now ? Makes it sure cost boatloads to afford multiple streaming plans …

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Why does every company need its own Netflix now ? Makes it sure cost boatloads to afford multiple streaming plans …
THIS... This was inevitable. Every company, every channel, every single service. It's incredibly inexpensive to stream your own content. It's nearly free. But, if you can get consumers to drop a few bucks on it over and over and over again, it equates to millions of dollars in direct revenue to you. This is why Netflix started creating their own content, because they knew that once channels stopped giving them their TV shows at a reasonable price, they would need something of their own.

The idea that cable companies are 'over charging' is a myth. Cable companies have a TON of content available and it's all included. You get your local channels, you get the sports networks, you get a ton of HD channels, etc. There is almost always something on that is okay to watch. Yes, there are commercials, but I have a DVR and can fast forward.

So, we are seeing anyone and everyone come up with their own 'premium' service, and those that have free services are forcing advertisements on consumers that can't be skipped over like you can on your cable DVR.

I'm avoiding most streaming services. I've tried some of them for a short period and quickly ran through their few exclusive shows, then wondered what I was paying for.

I will keep my cable for a few more years while I see the entire industry break into little pieces of $5 here and $10 there until people come to their senses and realize that for the $120 a month they are currently paying they could get a lot more from cable for $100 a month.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It gets silly. I recently made a move to cut internet cost in half and will be cancelling most of my streaming services soon. Some are on free trials and those are offered often. My lifetime serviced and antenna connected TiVo will see more action and who doesn’t love MeTV reruns?;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

THIS... This was inevitable. Every company, every channel, every single service.
I just look at what is streaming at what service and if I want it I just get it for a month. It' what I've done with HBO, Showtime, Epix, Paramount. The only two services that I keep on a continual basis is Disney and Netflix. That's more for the kid and wife.

I have Amazon Video via my cell phone plan.

I thought that was the point behind a MONTHLY fee and no contract.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I cut the cable cord a couple years ago. I got sick of having to pay triple digits every month. To get the couple of channels I wanted (mainly Discovery and Fox Sports for UFC at the time) I had to jump to a higher tier and get a whole bunch of other channels I don't even want.

For the longest time I wondered "why can't we just pay for what we use?". Well, it appears that's exactly what is happening now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I got rid of DirecTV a coupla years ago now, the vast majority of the available channels were full of crap content and/or crap advertising I didn't want to see, and don't always want to have to record in advance on a dvr and then try and guess on commercial length to bypass such, plus, to get the better commercial free content on D* you have to pay for tiers full of the crap to get there. Cable wasn't even an option for the first several years I lived here, either. We do now have Spectrum, which I just use for internet and their pricing is better than D* at a glance but still more than I'd pay over how I've got things setup now, thru the Amazon prime service with additional channels as well as a few direct subscriptions via my fire sticks. I don't get much of the major broadcasting type pro sports stuff but that's not a big loss, glad to catch up on highlights on youtube if interested. Plus I get better quality video via the internet than I did with D* (1080p content vs 720p/1080i). YMMV but don't see myself going back to cable/D* at this point.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The ethernet cable is just another cord and one's internet service cost is the baseline now. You can lump cell service in there as well. Truly cutting the cord would mean getting grandpa's huge antenna off of his roof and connecting it directly to one's TV, listening broadcast radio and heading to the library every once and awhile to use their computers and check out media. Household entertainment/cell/internet costs can really skyrocket because convenience is expensive and it's just too easy to blow money on and in apps. I found I needed to reevaluate some things and made some adjustments. We'll leave the money spent on devices off the table for now.;) Just received an email from Paramount + to come back and enjoy 30 free days. I'll take it!:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis