Paradigm vs. Athena vs. Bic

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Ok, in my never ending quest to find the best speakers for my money I think I MAY have narrowed it down to there three front setups. Paradigm Phantoms and a CC-270, Athena F2's with a C1 center, or Bic Acoustec HT-75's with a HT-65 center. In my shoping around I have found these to be some of the best "bang for your buck" type speakers. Now I know the Bic will be the least expensive followed by the Athenas and the most expensive the Paradigms. From some deals Ive seen theres only about a $75 dollar difference in price from the Bic's and Athenas. With the Paradigm being about $250 higher than the Athenas. Has anyone listened to all of these speakers? I would love to check out some Athenas but noone around where I live has them since bestbuy doesnt carry then anymore. Thanks for the input

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Those are all very different speakers Spiffy. The Bics are horn loaded, the Athenas are dual 8 inch woofer big boy floorstanders that are pretty much 100 lbs shipped, and those Paradigms are probably the best built of the lot and have the biggest snob appeal. I've only heard the Paradigm and the Athenas and to be fair the Paradigms were in a treated room that had a much better layout then the one the Athenas were in. I heard the Paradigms driven by a Denon 3805 and 1910 and the Athenas driven off of a HK 335 and a HK DVD player (I think the 22?). In my opinion the Paradigm sounded better but was easily bested in the sheer amount of Bass put out by the Athena. The Athenas rocked really hard and both music and movies sounded really good. The Paradigms were awesome, but without a sub running they did lack the punch of the Athenas. With a sub the Paradigms were better, but were they 50% more money better, I don't feel that they were.

Those Acoustechs have Horn drivers and I'm always a little leary of that for myself. I have only ever heard cheaper quality horn speakers and found that they were too bright for my taste after a little while. The big plus of those Acoustechs is that they are very efficient speakers so you can save on the electric bill or get a receiver with a less powerful amp. Have you considered the Bic 84 floorstanders? You ought to be able to pick up a pair for about $400 or so shipped and they come with 2 8" drivers and 2 passive radiators. I haven't heard those yet either but I bet they can crank out the bass.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I know, im trying to compare completely different speakers. Thats why its so hard, If all I did was watch moves I'd go with the Bic's b/c I've heard horn tweeters are best in surround sound systems. The Athenas to Paradigm is a better comparison b/c they are both known for a more natural sound to them which I think I would like better when listening to just music. I need something that will be good for both, can have the impact for watching movies and be tolerable for extended music listening.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
One thing I have to tell you is that IMO the Paradigm Center you listed is a much superior product to the Athena offering, but of course you can get the Athena for $100. The 170 is a more comparable speaker to the Athena. Spiffy, you've got to get out to a dealer to hear some of these for yourself. From what you're saying I think the Paradigms best suit the bill, but I haven't heard those Acoustechs. I think you ought to check out your local Costco to see if they are carrying those speakers and give them the best demo you can there. Doesn't Costco have a pretty liberal return policy?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I've heard the Paradigms and really like them, Ill have to go check the local costco and see if they carry the Bics here in my area

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I recommend Paradigm

I have not heard the Athenas, but I have heard BICs and I own Paradigms. My experience with Paradigms has been excellent and I listen mostly to multi-channel music with an occasional movie thrown in. They may cost a little bit more but I believe they are the best quality of the three brands and you will be the most satisfied with Paradigm over the others. As always,try to listen to as many as you can. If that is not possible, read as many professional and consumer reviews as you can. Good luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis