Paradigm Studio 60's vs 100's

O

ougrad02

Audioholic
I've been trying a lot of different speakers in order to upgrade the paradigm monitor setup that I had. I've auditioned Paradigm studio 60's and 100's, monitor audio rs6's with matching surrounds and center, PSB T6 with matching surrounds and center, and Axiom M60's with vp150 and qs8 surrounds. I was lucky enough to audition a lot of them in my home as well. Anyway I decided on the Studio 60's. I found a good deal on some v4's but then saw a decent deal on some v4 100's. So now I'm not sure if I should get the 100's instead. I use my system for almost exclusively home theater. I have an Onkyo 705 so I'm not even sure if that is sufficient enough to drive the 100's. I know it has preouts but I have no plans to purchase in the near future. I am also running a HSU vtf3 mkii sub. I would pair these with the 590 or 690 center and decide on some matching surrounds. The room is on the smaller side however I plan on keeping whatever I do buy for awhile so I plan on moving these into a bigger room in the next few years. So any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I was in the same position about 3-4 years ago. Found a local pair of v.3 60's for $800 and held off. Shortly after I picked up a pair of v.4 100's shipped to my door for $1500. If you were just using them by themselves, I'd say the 100's for sure. I preferred the 100's to the 60's overall. Since you have a sub to handle the low frequencies, I think you will be happy either way. After some experience in this hobby, I always get the top of the line that I can afford. Key phrase is "that I can afford". It keeps me from wondering if I'm missing out on something and helps hold off the upgrade bug a little longer.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I personally thought the 60's were less bright. I liked that.

YMMV

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
FYI I compared the 60 and 100 a few years ago, maybe v4. I preferred the 60's plus more usage of the sub than the 100's with a less intrusive sub. I too use my setup almost exclusively for movies, but have a decent size room (1400 cubic feet).

All that being said, I will be getting some nice towers next.

R

RipcordAFF

Audioholic Intern
I would be interested in people's thoughts about this as well. Especially because the 60 is 2.5 way (I believe) and the 100 is 3 way

R

rushwj

Audioholic
what did the OP decide on? i'd love to hear as i'm planning on the 100s v5 later in the summer, but have considered the 60s (unfortunately unable to audition the 60s, only the 100s).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis