Paradigm S8 VS ????

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
Are the best speakers in the world the Revel Salon2 Ultima?
I haven't tested all of the speakers in the world so I would be only speculating.

But William can probably give you a definitive answer to your question, and offer all of the mods he would have to make to the Revel so it sounded decent in a more typical acoustically treated room (not the acoustically hostile room in which it was tested) :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't tested all of the speakers in the world so I would be only speculating.

But William can probably give you a definitive answer to your question, and offer all of the mods he would have to make to the Revel so it sounded decent in a more typical acoustically treated room (not the acoustically hostile room in which it was tested) :)
So would you SPECULATE that the Revel Salon2 Ultima are the best? :D

Okay, so seriously, we have 2 schools of thoughts here.

First, I think you are on the Revel Salon2 Ultima side.

Second, I think William is on the B&W 800D side.

Third, I don't want any modifications or equalizers or anything like that. I hate Audessey, EQs, DSPs, or anything pertaining to it. The only "modding" I want to do is moving the speakers around the room.

My thoughts:

The B&W 800D speakers do not have any kind of DSPs in them, but the Revel Salon2 Ultima speakers do have DSPs (normal, boundary, etc.) in them?

If this is true, I was thinking the Revel might be more prone to reliability issues because of the added DSPs?:confused:

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was only kidding... I would have loved to find some Energy Veritas 2.4's under my tree...jk.:)
He was kidding too. You noticed the use of the word 'definitive', right?

Speaking of which I got to listen to a pair of 7002's very briefly at a Magnolia and compared them to an unspecified pair of Martin Logan electro stats. I thought the 7002's were wonderful and didn't think much of the ML's which is beside the point. The point is that after receiving a lesson from Jostenmeat on classical music and it's reproduction I would be willing to give the Martin Logan's a second chance because they are preferred by him. Still I wonder of how much benefit to me their ability to reproduce classical music would be to me since I enjoy rock/pop more. In all honesty I can't imagine not enjoying music played out of any of the speakers discussed here. That's kind of what makes looks such a prevalent part of the choosing process and some of these offerings look awesome. Actually they all do ... except the 360's ... but the 360's are still the closest to my heart ... well, they are eight feet away from me. :rolleyes: :D

So with all that being said I think if it were me buying speakers in the $10k range I would be auditioning these things not only with my eyes open but with a friggin' microscope. Yeah, sighted bias is real and for 10 G you better believe I'm going to be looking. For 10 G there's a pretty good chance I might be rubbing up on them. :eek: ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Speaking of which I got to listen to a pair of 7002's very briefly at a Magnolia and compared them to an unspecified pair of Martin Logan electro stats. I thought the 7002's were wonderful and didn't think much of the ML's which is beside the point. The point is that after receiving a lesson from Jostenmeat on classical music and it's reproduction I would be willing to give the Martin Logan's a second chance because they are preferred by him. Still I wonder of how much benefit to me their ability to reproduce classical music would be to me since I enjoy rock/pop more. In all honesty I can't imagine not enjoying music played out of any of the speakers discussed here. That's kind of what makes looks such a prevalent part of the choosing process and some of these offerings look awesome. Actually they all do ... except the 360's ... but the 360's are still the closest to my heart ... well, they are eight feet away from me. :rolleyes: :D

So with all that being said I think if it were me buying speakers in the $10k range I would be auditioning these things not only with my eyes open but with a friggin' microscope. Yeah, sighted bias is real and for 10 G you better believe I'm going to be looking. For 10 G there's a pretty good chance I might be rubbing up on them. :eek: ;)
I agree about the aesthetics. If I'm paying $15K+, aesthetics get huge bonus points.:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Why does music genre really matter or does it? I always thought with any good speakers it shouldn't really mattter(unless of course it's rap or country):p.

Regards, Bill :)

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Okay, so seriously, we have 2 schools of thoughts here.

First, I think you are on the Revel Salon2 Ultima side.

Second, I think William is on the B&W 800D side.
No, that confuses subjective preference with objective reality.
The false dichotomy in all these arguments (B&W vs speaker X, expensive wires, boutique caps, etc, etc, etc, etc.) is that it is a subjective vs objective debate. It isn't. A subjective person would simply say A sounds better than B. Period. And that would be it, no arguments. You prefer A over B. The problem only arises when the subjective person (always technically illiterate) states that A is "better" than B due to objective (verifiable) reasons. Objective reasoning relies on scientific methodology, accumulated, verified knowledge and physical reality.
So it is possible to verify (objectively) whether A is actually "better" than B, even via subjective evaluation.
That's where folks like Chris get into trouble. His technical illiteracy cause him to make some very amusing statements (to the technically literate) like DSP can correct the B&W's polar disaster, spatial perception is formed primarily above 10k, he's done "blind tests" to prove that resonances are audible in the 362 vs B&W, etc, etc., etc.
It's "above the pay grade" above most readers (thanks for the quote), so they are left to wonder who is right or wrong in all this (it's probably far less amusing to them as well). Unfortunately, it's not always easy to explain all the issues in layman's terms, so that everyone reading can understand. But let's try with at least some :)

Third, I don't want any modifications or equalizers or anything like that. I hate Audessey, EQs, DSPs, or anything pertaining to it. The only "modding" I want to do is moving the speakers around the room. My thoughts:
The B&W 800D speakers do not have any kind of DSPs in them, but the Revel Salon2 Ultima speakers do have DSPs (normal, boundary, etc.) in them?
If this is true, I was thinking the Revel might be more prone to reliability issues because of the added DSPs?:confused:
As was explained in a previous episode of The Groundhog Days of Our Lives, the B&W is uncorrectable via DSP (despite what the technically illiterate may state). Because the polar response (the Frequency responses in all radiated directions) is so horribly uneven and chaotic, if you were to place a mic at one position in space and apply DSP "correction", the correction would only be for that point, the rest of the polar field would still be a mess. So for example, you see the horrible flare in the off axis at 4k ish. You apply a filter to lower/cut this bandwidth of the flare off axis - now it looks much smother. But then you move the mic and measure the on axis - now there is a huge hole where there wasn't one before, because the DSP filter is working every where, not just at the point you have "corrected". You "fix" one mess...to create another one elsewhere.
We could go on and on about all of Chris's misconceptions, but it would be much better for you and others to understand the basic issues, so that you too can share in the amusement when you read such misstatements and nonsense. It's highly entertaining once you understand :D

cheers,

AJ

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why does music genre really matter or does it? I always thought with any good speakers it shouldn't really mattter(unless of course it's rap or country):p.

Regards, Bill :)
I think classical music is a lot more complex.

For example in a symphony, you have a bunch of instruments playing at the same time. To reproduce the sound of each of those instruments faithfully/naturally can be a difficult task.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

So, how are different speakers better for different music? I would've thought that a good speaker is a good speaker, no matter which genre of music you are putting through them. Do you mean recorded classical music will reveal speaker inadequacies more than pop/rock - generally speaking? If so, I would agree - kinda. I would put good jazz recordings in with classical as well.

Therefore, if you don't listen to classical or jazz, it really doesn't matter if you have good speakers? I'm not sure I would go that far. There is lots of well-recorded rock music out there. I'd like to be able to get the most from those recordings as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...the B&W's polar disaster...the B&W is uncorrectable via DSP...Because the polar response...is so horribly uneven and chaotic...
Wow.

I definitely don't know enough about the technical aspects of speakers.

But that sounds very harsh & devastating regarding the very expensive B&W speakers!!!:eek:

Who would want to spend $23K on the B&W 800D or $15K on the B&W 802D after hearing something like this?:eek:

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Wow.
I definitely don't know enough about the technical aspects of speakers.
But that sounds very harsh & devastating regarding the very expensive B&W speakers!!!:eek:
You don't have to understand and neither does Chris, the physical reality is unchanged. But you can still see it (as shown in a previous episode of GHDOOL):

The top graph are snapshots of the polar field horizontally, the bottom vertically. You can clearly see the mess, that will reflect in a reverberant room and add perceptually to the direct response, creating the soundfield that you hear...or Chris doesn't ;). (Sighted, not blind. Everyone hears it then)

Who would want to spend $23K on the B&W 800D or $15K on the B&W 802D after hearing something like this?:eek:
Same reason you spend $100k on a 5 watt tube amp, $4k on a pair of wires, $2 million on a car that seats one person, etc, etc., etc....
....because you think it's worth it, personally. No arguments there. :)

cheers,

AJ

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Why does music genre really matter or does it?
So, how are different speakers better for different music?
My technically illiterate understanding is that all speakers are a series of compromises. So you pick which strengths and weaknesses suit you and your environment but the genre matters in that a speaker that reproduces say flute and violin may not do so well with rap and neither of those may sound good with choral pieces which would be most revealing in the speech discrimination band (which I can't remember the exact frequency band of anymore ... 200-3000Hz?). :rolleyes:

My belief that certain speakers are good with certain genres is how I reconcile my perceptions with Jostenmeat's favor of electro stats and TLS' disdain for Studio 100's. I don't happen to agree with either assessment but believe that they aren't talking out their @sses. There are guys here who love their Cerwin Vegas so to me that just says that they must be awesome at something. :)

If AJ calls me retarded there will be hell to pay. :D

Edit: Oh yeah, getting a speaker that is awesome in an area that is unimportant to you might be considered a waste of money/talent/effort ... like swatting a fly with a gold sledge hammer.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
That's where folks like Chris get into trouble. His technical illiteracy cause him to make some very amusing statements (to the technically literate) like DSP can correct the B&W's polar disaster, spatial perception is formed primarily above 10k, he's done "blind tests" to prove that resonances are audible in the 362 vs B&W, etc, etc., etc.
It's statements like these that make it clear you don't even know what anyone said or care to(such as your statement above that I said DSP can correct polar response characteristics) - and your overly-aggressive and demeaning manner is quite unusual, I must say. And my meaning of over 8kHz in reference to, is exactly in reference to a lot of important spatial information is contained in these higher frequencies. While you are busy attempting to capitalize off to a perhaps improper single word (primary) use I may have made, you do everything you can to pull off an argument style I have not seen used in 'intelligent' debate; try respectful and proper conversation for a change. This is just a simple observation of your replies, and I am not going to lower myself to the same type of replies. I can certainly appreciate a very rare sarcastic remark or similar - I sometimes will make such a remark - but certainly not in a repeated or consistent manner in a real conversation/exchange with someone.

-Chris

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have been back and had them move the 804's into the room with the SIG 8's and Studio 100's so I could listen.

I actually think I like the 804's the best and although I have listened to the SIG 8's before and loved them, they only seemed a little better than the Studio's to me this time around.

It's all mute to me because my room is my biggest issue.
I got to hear some version of the Sig6 and the 804 something or other and some Studio100's all in the same day but in different rooms last year. I would have paid more attention if I knew what a big deal it was but the 804's sounded best ... no accounting for the room though. They were on sale for $2,750 IIRC. I was only window shopping though.

For the record though I thought everything sounded better than my Infinity Primus 360's and it just got worse from there as I went on to hear Chris'/WmAx's omni polar rig and computer rig. I'm gonna get to hear some Sig8's in a couple of weeks and am probably not going to be on speaking terms with my speakers for about a month or so after that. I gotta quit doing this to myself.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
If AJ calls me retarded there will be hell to pay. :D
I wouldn't do that. That would be an insult. "Technical literacy" is exactly as implied. No ambiguity. One either makes statements that are verifiable accurate, or you spout nonsense that becomes you own downfall. Which is why I always use the quote function, so that there is no ambiguity as to what was actually said. That way people become their own worst enemy, with what words they use, not anyone else. Regardless of efforts to spin and cry in protest, to focus attention away from them :).
Same applies to me. If I make quotable technical misstatements, I want my feet held to the fire. ;)
I'm sure Sean won't allow me to slip :D

cheers,

AJ

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You don't have to understand and neither does Chris, the physical reality is unchanged. But you can still see it (as shown in a previous episode of GHDOOL):

The top graph are snapshots of the polar field horizontally, the bottom vertically. You can clearly see the mess, that will reflect in a reverberant room and add perceptually to the direct response, creating the soundfield that you hear...or Chris doesn't ;). (Sighted, not blind. Everyone hears it then)

Same reason you spend $100k on a 5 watt tube amp, $4k on a pair of wires, $2 million on a car that seats one person, etc, etc., etc....
....because you think it's worth it, personally. No arguments there. :)

cheers,

AJ
Okay this is a comparison between B&W 802D vs. Revel Ultima Salon2 from Stereophile:

View attachment 8533

Please explain the big difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis