Paradigm S6 v2 Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
I don't know. I'm going to have a few days off and I'll put that on my to do list. :D

The S6 would be head to head with the Plat6 but which is better is subjective I guess. I would like to compare the Synchrony1 to either a Plat6 or Plat8. The Synch one has garned favourable reviews from Sound & Vision, Home Theater Magazine, and Perfect Vision (??? I think its called that). I'll have to go to the shop when things are slow so I don't waste anyone's time except my own. :)
LOL...I knew my post would give you something to do, and I though I was a PSB fan. Let me know how it went. My HT room will be done around April, and my PSB Image setup has been such a hit, that I am thinking of going with PSB again; Sync and Plat systems are in my price range for the HT room. My other option is MA Gold Series, not going to audition much as not to drive myself crazy. Will keep it simple.

S

swestbom

Audioholic Intern
Value

I have the Energy Veritas 2.3s which are very similar to the S6 but with a dome midrange. I too compared them to the Signatures and like the Veritas better in the midrange and for imaging. Build quality and appearance are a wash. The huge price difference made the choice easy.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
Not really sure you could compare the Verista 2.3 with the Signature line. Maybe more like the Studio line. Looks-wise anyways, I find the Verista's to be fairly hideous. As far as the speakers themselves go, I think the spec sheets speak for themselves, the Signature line is a better speaker overall. As far as the price point is considered, its a touchy subject. Overpriced, yes. But does that lessen the value of the speaker? Only if you cant afford it, or have to stretch yourself really thin to buy it.

Last edited:
P

PatrickBateman

Junior Audioholic
Not really sure you could compare the Verista 2.3 with the Signature line. Maybe more like the Studio line. Looks-wise anyways, I find the Verista's to be fairly hideous. As far as the speakers themselves go, I think the spec sheets speak for themselves, the Signature line is a better speaker overall. As far as the price point is considered, its a touchy subject. Overpriced, yes. But does that lessen the value of the speaker? Only if you cant afford it, or have to stretch yourself really thin to buy it.

Well of course you can compare them, he did, and he chose the Veritas 2.3. Also, you can not simply look at spec sheets to develop an opinion of a speakers quality.
FWIW, I think the Para Sig line sound really great and look fantastic. The MA Golds are great as well, I would love to audition them in the same room.

S

swestbom

Audioholic Intern
Trust me, the Signature is no better than the Veritas (except maybe looks, and that is debatable). The reference series are not in the same class as the Veritas, more like the Energy RC line.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
Trust me, the Signature is no better than the Veritas (except maybe looks, and that is debatable). The reference series are not in the same class as the Veritas, more like the Energy RC line.
Sorry I'm a bit confused. Paradigm's reference series speakers are the Signature line. If you are saying that is not in the same class as the Veristas, but the same as the Energy RC line (Energies reference line). Then I'm really confused because you say they are no better then the Veristas. Which would mean the Energy RC line is no better then the Veristas?

Not trying to be a **** or anything, I'm just honestly confused.

Also note, that Paradigm Signature line is also pricey due to the fact they are using some more exotic materials, ie: pure-beryllium dome for tweeter, etc.

Whereas Energy is using aluminium ( I would say far more common/less expensive a material) for tweeters. etc.

I'm not saying Paradigm sound better or anything, I just don't think based on what I've read in the spec sheets that the Veristas are in the same class as the Signatures.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
Bah, didn't realize that the Veristas are the superior speaker to the RC Line. Promptly ignore my previous post.

P

PatrickBateman

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I think it is getting a little confusing.
The Reference line is the Studio line. The Signature line is obviously the high end line.
I directly A/B'd the Energy RC10 and the Studio 20's. As much as I liked the RC10's, we much preferred the Studio 20's. The Signature S2's were much better than the Studio 20's.
I did not get to A/B the S2 to the Veritas.

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
Yes, I think it is getting a little confusing.
The Reference line is the Studio line. The Signature line is obviously the high end line.
I directly A/B'd the Energy RC10 and the Studio 20's. As much as I liked the RC10's, we much preferred the Studio 20's. The Signature S2's were much better than the Studio 20's.
I did not get to A/B the S2 to the Veritas.
Paradigm Reference refers to Paradigm's higher end speakers, when you see the name Paradigm only refers to their more affordable speakers.

Paradigm: Cinema, and Monitor

Paradigm Reference: Milenia, Studio, and Signature

There are dealers that are only authorized to sell Paradigm, there are others that only sell Paradigm Reference, and there are others that sell both.

Obviously the Sig S2 is better sounding than Studio 20's. Signature is a superior series that costs more. Energy RC are more in the Paradigm Monitor price range. That is why the Studio is a better speaker than the RC, as it costs more and has better SQ features.

Monitor Audio Silver, PSB Image, Paradigm Monitor, and Energy RC are contenders in the same price range, with similar SQ characteristics. Those would be more balanced A/B comparisons.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Paradigm Reference refers to Paradigm's higher end speakers, when you see the name Paradigm only refers to their more affordable speakers.

Paradigm: Cinema, and Monitor

Paradigm Reference: Milenia, Studio, and Signature

There are dealers that are only authorized to sell Paradigm, there are others that only sell Paradigm Reference, and there are others that sell both.

Obviously the Sig S2 is better sounding than Studio 20's. Signature is a superior series that costs more. Energy RC are more in the Paradigm Monitor price range. That is why the Studio is a better speaker than the RC, as it costs more and has better SQ features.

Monitor Audio Silver, PSB Image, Paradigm Monitor, and Energy RC are contenders in the same price range, with similar SQ characteristics. Those would be more balanced A/B comparisons.
Actually the Energy C's would be along the lines of the Image & Monitor line up. The RC's are more in line with the studios. Patrick only stated a subjective opinion as for his preference;).

Last edited:
G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
Actually the Energy C's would be along the lines of the Image & Monitor line up. The RC's are more in line with the studios. Patrick only stated a subjective opinion as for his preference;).
Not trying to bring Patrick down, it's just that to me it seemed like he was getting confused about what is Paradigm and Paradigm Reference in general, nothing else. His comments regarding the sound of the different series are inline with what many people have commented in the past.

Now that you mention the RC more in the line of the Studios, all reviews I see compare the RC to Image and Monitor, which would seem unfair as the RC is more expensive, apparently they are good, but only good enough to compete against Image and Monitor, nothing above that. I might be mistaken, but that is the impression I get from different reviews I have read.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry for going off topic here..

Not trying to bring Patrick down, it's just that to me it seemed like he was getting confused about what is Paradigm and Paradigm Reference in general, nothing else. His comments regarding the sound of the different series are inline with what many people have commented in the past.

Now that you mention the RC more in the line of the Studios, all reviews I see compare the RC to Image and Monitor, which would seem unfair as the RC is more expensive, apparently they are good, but only good enough to compete against Image and Monitor, nothing above that. I might be mistaken, but that is the impression I get from different reviews I have read.
But could you please show me those reviews you are referring to or are these only views of a personal nature? Just in case here's a couple you may of missed.
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm & http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm
Lastly it wasn't Patrick Bateman who was confused. If you re-read his last post he was only correcting a previous post where some confusion may of occurred. He made mention that Paradigm Studio or Reference line as they are sometimes called are not the Signiture series. Here's the link to their homepage http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/speaker-type-fronts.paradigm

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
This is what Patrick said:

"The Reference line is the Studio line. The Signature line is obviously the high end line."

No, he is incorrect...Paradigm Reference is a division, they brand their higher end speakers as Paradigm Reference, and even the logo is different. And, as mentioned, not all Paradigm dealers can carry Paradigm Reference (Millenia, Studio, and Sig). If he would have said Studio Series falls under the Reference line, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Anyone can commit an error and I was just correcting his, just like I have been corrected here before, and I have learned from that. Just as I will learn from this exchange of ideas we are having.

I don't see the subjective part of his comment. Just because other people refer to Studio as Reference, doesn't make the statement correct.

The review you linked for the RC-10 nowhere mentions PSB B25 or Paradigm's, so don't know the point of your link. You can go to Energy's website, PSB website, and Paradigm website, and find great reviews for any of the speakers we have mentioned. Just proves the point that all are good speakers, not a direct comparison.

If you read threads here and in other forum you will see people comparing the RC-10 against B25 and Monitors, not realizing that RC-10 is a more expensive speaker. Actually more expensive, and about the size and weight of PSB B15, and Paradigm Atom Monitor, which are even less expensive than even PSB B25.

I might have mispoken when I said reviews of RC-10 vs. PSB B25 and Paradigm Monitor, I should have said threads.

But, if you want a comparison there is a good PSB Alpha B1 vs. Energy RC-10 mention in a review, obviously RC-10 was the better speaker, but as the reviewer mentions PSB Alpha B1 MSRP $279.00/pr. was a good contender vs. Energy's RC-10 ($550.00 MSRP). A pity I couldn't find that review, but it is out there.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Did you not read this part of the review?

"Could Energy do better?

I reviewed the Connoisseur C-3s back in 2002, and that speaker not only received a Reviewers’ Choice nod but won our year-end Budget Leader award as well. At the time of the review, the C-3 was $500 per pair, which was a great deal; later on Energy lowered the retail price to just $300, making the C-3s an astonishingly good deal.

Could Energy do better? Honestly, I didn’t think so -- until I unboxed the $550 RC-10s. With beautifully finished real-wood-veneered cabinets (the C-3 looked nice, but it was vinyl clad), rather exotic-looking drive units, binding posts that wouldn’t look out of place on speakers double or triple the price, and magnetically attached grilles, the RC-10s set a standard for build quality that no other bookshelf speakers that I know of near their price can match.

Oh, yeah, they sound great too, bettering the C-3 in every way except for a little bit of bass weight. (The C-3 had a 6 1/2" woofer and a larger cabinet, which seemed to give the speakers a slightly bigger sound.) Still, even if it’s not quite as fleshed out down low as C-3, the RC-10 has shockingly good bass for its size, along with detail, control and articulation that better the C-3's and which I never thought possible from such a low-priced two-way. The midrange is very clear and devoid of congestion, but it’s the top end that sends this little speaker over the top. The RC-10’s tweeter is so sweet-sounding you’d swear that Energy built this driver for a speaker four times the price. Why do I say that? The RC-10 doesn’t quite match, but does come close to, the performance of the Paradigm Signature S2’s tweeter, which I consider a reference -- something I wouldn’t expect from a speaker half the S2’s price, let alone about one-quarter of it. As a result, the RC-10 is as amazingly refined-sounding little speaker.

If the RC-10 has a weakness, it’s that it is the perfect speaker for a small- to medium-sized room, but not a really big one. Put it in a room that’s too big, and despite the more-than-impressive bass for its size, it will still likely sound small. After all, it is a rather compact speaker. There are bigger RC-series speakers -- floorstanders, in fact -- for filling large spaces. If the RC-10 cost twice the price (and I suspect it would if a boutique company that doesn’t have the engineering wherewithal of Energy produced it), some audiophiles might nit-pick about this, that, and the other thing. Maybe someone would want more presence in the mids, and maybe someone would want the speaker to sound more relaxed. But at what Energy is asking for the RC-10, there’s really not one nit to pick.

Put the RC-10s in the right room and partner them with good-quality components, and you’ll be rewarded with outstanding minimonitor sound at a ridiculously low price. Energy has not only bettered the older Connoisseur-series speakers, they have redefined my expectations for inexpensive speakers.

...Doug Schneider
das@soundstage.com

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
I think I worded my thoughts incorrectly, at least my head knew what I was trying to say.
Anyway Guangui I believe this may be the review you were referring too.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_alpha_b1.htm
Patrick, thanks, it is good to know that you can take some "fire", and still keep a cool head.

Billy, you are right, I didn't read complete, was waiting to do that when I had more time. Those things happen, what I cannot understand is that "I'm bigger that everyone else" attitude..." I ceratinly wasn't going to link it for him." You showed your true colors with that comment.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Patrick, thanks, it is good to know that you can take some "fire", and still keep a cool head.

Billy, you are right, I didn't read complete, was waiting to do that when I had more time. Those things happen, what I cannot understand is that "I'm bigger that everyone else" attitude..." I ceratinly wasn't going to link it for him." You showed your true colors with that comment.
Sorry Guangui but I am the same guy whom you directed this comment to the other day:confused:? Most mfg's list all professional reviews(positive ones anyways :p) on their homepage and are easy to find.
Regards, Billy P :)

http://www.psbspeakers.com/reviews/GS-Review-Alpha-B1

Want to thank Billy P for pointing me in the right direction.

fritz5089

fritz5089

Audiophyte

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis