Paradigm Persona Sub

X

xcd

Enthusiast
I'm considering the Paradigm Persona Sub. persona.paradigm.com/persona/specs.php?model=persona-sub

It's a six 8-in driver design, 1700W RMS 3400W peak power. I'm thinking of getting two of them for my room, which is about 700sqft with 18ft ceilings.

I wanted to get some first-hand impressions or feedback of the product. A lot of people I talked to either love or hate it, but few seem to have actually used it. How is it? I will be using it 70% for HT and 30% for music.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What's did you think if it? I'm sure it can play loud, but I'm not sure about the 12hz claim. Where are you located? What subs have you compared it to?

X

xcd

Enthusiast
What's did you think if it? I'm sure it can play loud, but I'm not sure about the 12hz claim. Where are you located? What subs have you compared it to?
I’ve tried the B&W DB1D. The Paradigm sounded somewhat vaguely better? I’m rather a novice to sound systems, so pardon my inexperience.

I’m in the US.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
For the price of that sub, I'd get a SVS SB16 or Seaton Subversive HP. Save the money and put them into your mains or the bank.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
For the price of that sub, I'd get a SVS SB16 or Seaton Subversive HP. Save the money and put them into your mains or the bank.
For that price, a PAIR of SVS PB16 Ultra!

(and have $2500 left in the bank!)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
For that price, a PAIR of SVS PB16 Ultra!

(and have $2500 left in the bank!)
If his space wasn't so small I'd recommend that, he will get strong room gain with sealed. Hell a good 12" would do it :D.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
A 700 sq ft room would be 25 x 28 ft, and with 18 ft ceilings I wouldn't exactly consider that a small space!

X

xcd

Enthusiast
I'm getting a pair of subs regardless of what brand/model I go for in end.

Dare I ask what the people on this forum think of the B&W DB1D? That's the only other sub available to me locally (I can always buy online, but prefer to see it in stores). But people I asked seem to think poorly of that speaker

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You're in the US. Take advantage of the SVS "Bill Of Rights", which is free shipping BOTH ways and a 45 day trial. Your room is so large it'll swallow anything but a substantial sub, and that model B&W can't hold a candle to the SVS SB16 Ultra or (better for movies) PB16 Ultra. Just be prepared, those are extremely large and heavy as compared to what you've been looking at.

X

xcd

Enthusiast
You're in the US. Take advantage of the SVS "Bill Of Rights", which is free shipping BOTH ways and a 45 day trial. Your room is so large it'll swallow anything but a substantial sub, and that model B&W can't hold a candle to the SVS SB16 Ultra or (better for movies) PB16 Ultra. Just be prepared, those are extremely large and heavy as compared to what you've been looking at.
I have been avoiding SVS, since my max size is 21x21x21 inches.

What about something small and compact, like JL's E-Sub e112-GLOSS? http://www.jlaudio.ca/e112-gloss-home-audio-e-sub-powered-subwoofers-96279

X

xcd

Enthusiast
Here’s the complete list of subs I found that I’m considering at the moment.

A somewhat unrelated question, how should I place dual subwoofers? Just two in the front, on either side of the towers? Or one in the front and one in the back?
0C42A0FB-FA7A-41EF-A486-B293EEFA3D9F.png

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you have the cash, Salk Sound can custom finish a Rythmik sub. I don’t see samples of the F18 on the Salk website but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do it. Not sure if finish matters to you. The samples look like works of art. :)

X

xcd

Enthusiast
If you have the cash, Salk Sound can custom finish a Rythmik sub. I don’t see samples of the F18 on the Salk website but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do it. Not sure if finish matters to you. The samples look like works of art. :)
How does Salk compare to Funk subs?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How does Salk compare to Funk subs?
Oh these are Rythmik subs with custom finishes by Salk if you wanted them to look like custom guitar grade finishes. Otherwise a Rythmik F18 is just a black box like most of the others on your list. Personally I’ll take performance over looks any day. I think the Rythmik and JTR and Funk are all great choices actually.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

A somewhat unrelated question, how should I place dual subwoofers? Just two in the front, on either side of the towers? Or one in the front and one in the back?
One thing you can do for certain is throw several of those off the list immediately.

As much as I'm a KEF fan, that Reference 8b sub won't hit low and is super expensive for what it can do. Toss the B&W, Dali, Paradigm and REL subs too.

Placement is something you do once you have them. The "sub crawl" technique is very effective.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 25681
Location of the subs is room dependent. Mid way on the side walls is a good starting place. A measurement mic and REW software comes in very handy as it has placement simulation. It also can load filters and PEQ, delay, etc. directly into products like the minidsp. Minidsp also has products with dirac, so if using out board amps are very powerful tools.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

View attachment 25681
Lot of great subs on your list. At the risk of sounding like an advertisement...I would save some cash from the Paradigm Persona and get a couple of HSU subs...a pair VTF 15H Mk2s would handle your space for less than $2k....heck, I might do 4 of them if the money was not a big deal.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Lot of great subs on your list. At the risk of sounding like an advertisement...I would save some cash from the Paradigm Persona and get a couple of HSU subs...a pair VTF 15H Mk2s would handle your space for less than $2k....heck, I might do 4 of them if the money was not a big deal.
You have HSU subs right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis