Paradigm Monitor System vs Martin Logan Motion System

shootshescores

shootshescores

Enthusiast
I am in the market for a completely new speaker system system. I plan to run a 5.1 for now and eventually upgrade it to a 7.1 with with one of the following set ups. Paradigm with Mini Monitor fronts, Center 3, and Atom Monitor surrounds or a Martin Logan set up with Motion 15 fronts, Motion 30 center, Motion 4 surrounds. I've already decided on the SVS SB-2000 subwoofer for either set up. This will be used in a large room, 24'x19' with 9' ceilings and power by either a Marantz 5008 or Yamaha YAMAHA RX-A1020 Aventage.

What speaker combination would you choose?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Paradigm and Martin Logan both make excellent speakers so only your ears will know. How come you've limited your choice to just these two? Lots of brands to consider; Monitor Audio, PSB, Kef, Aperion, Ascend to mention a few.

shootshescores

shootshescores

Enthusiast
Paradigm and Martin Logan both make excellent speakers so only your ears will know. How come you've limited your choice to just these two? Lots of brands to consider; Monitor Audio, PSB, Kef, Aperion, Ascend to mention a few.
The reason I am limited to these is that they are on a short list of speakers I am able to audition based on distributors in my area. I did consider Monitor, but their are no distributors in my area for a demo. PSB and Ascend do not offer a risk free trial that covers return shipping expenses, so they are out. I am still considering Aperion and KEF as they offer in home demos and cover return shipping in case you don't want them, but I have to front the $ to audition them and I would not want to do this twice (once with Aperion & again with the KEFs). I've never heard either, but both seem like great products. Auditioning both might seem like a PITA.

Does anyone have any opinions toward the sound quality of Martin Logan vs Paradigm vs Aperion vs KEF?

Kruz

Kruz

Audioholic
Thought I would chime in about your subwoofer choice. I have owned the SVS SB-2000 for about a month (ish) now. My room is in the basement, very closed off and about 20' by 10'. The bass is very tight and defined and great for music. However for gaming and movies it feels like it is missing that chest pounding in your face bass that some scenes create. If I were to do it all over again (and after reading a good review contrasting the 2) I would go with the PB-2000 for an additional ~$100.

I foresee getting a PB down the road and moving my SB to a smaller room I use primarily for gaming. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and don't get me wrong for the price the SB-2000 is a monster.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Thought I would chime in about your subwoofer choice. I have owned the SVS SB-2000 for about a month (ish) now. My room is in the basement, very closed off and about 20' by 10'. The bass is very tight and defined and great for music. However for gaming and movies it feels like it is missing that chest pounding in your face bass that some scenes create. If I were to do it all over again (and after reading a good review contrasting the 2) I would go with the PB-2000 for an additional ~$100.

I foresee getting a PB down the road and moving my SB to a smaller room I use primarily for gaming. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and don't get me wrong for the price the SB-2000 is a monster.
Why you guys always forget about these? Dayton Audio T1504K 15" Titanic Mk 4 Subwoofer Kit | 300-764

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The reason I am limited to these is that they are on a short list of speakers I am able to audition based on distributors in my area. I did consider Monitor, but their are no distributors in my area for a demo. PSB and Ascend do not offer a risk free trial that covers return shipping expenses, so they are out. I am still considering Aperion and KEF as they offer in home demos and cover return shipping in case you don't want them, but I have to front the $ to audition them and I would not want to do this twice (once with Aperion & again with the KEFs). I've never heard either, but both seem like great products. Auditioning both might seem like a PITA.

Does anyone have any opinions toward the sound quality of Martin Logan vs Paradigm vs Aperion vs KEF?
The thing about those home demos is, they will tell you which speakers you prefer. So not being "risk free" may also save you money in the long run because you bought the speaker you liked the most - better to be happy with what you buy the first time around. First, go listen to the Paradigms and MLs and see how you feel about the two. If you definitely like one more than the other then your choice is easy. If you can't decide, I'd listen to more speakers.

shootshescores

shootshescores

Enthusiast

Great advice Kruz. In my experience over the years, I really like the sound of a sealed 12" subwoofer. I have never heard one with television or movies, only music. They are awesome for music as I prefer rock. Big ported subs or bandpass subs get wayyy too muddy with rock music. I find that all of my previous subwoofers (8" bass reflex and the other 10" w/passive radiator) were very boomy and I miss the tight bass. I watch movies the least when comparing music and television. How lacking is it actually in the deep base for movies? If it's not that bad, I would still consider it.

Kruz

Kruz

Audioholic
Great advice Kruz. In my experience over the years, I really like the sound of a sealed 12" subwoofer. I have never heard one with television or movies, only music. They are awesome for music as I prefer rock. Big ported subs or bandpass subs get wayyy too muddy with rock music. I find that all of my previous subwoofers (8" bass reflex and the other 10" w/passive radiator) were very boomy and I miss the tight bass. I watch movies the least when comparing music and television. How lacking is it actually in the deep base for movies? If it's not that bad, I would still consider it.
Check out this post (#10178) and around that post there is a lot of comparison of the SB and PB.

New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!! - Page 34

Here is a professional review comparing the two:

SVS PB-2000 and SB-2000 Subwoofers Reviewed

From reading these the mid bass is similar but the lower stuff has much more impact with the PB. Also give SVS a call. I have read numerous times about their great advice to customers.

Make sure to let us know what you decide!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis