Paradigm Monitor 9 v7 50% off

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I literally have to only click one button to get these new, with free shipping, from Audiolab. Tell my why I shouldn't. What else, at $600/pr is going to do better for me?

Current setup:

Denon AVR-X2300W
LCR: Mini Monitor v7
Surrounds: SVS Prime Satellites
Subs: SVS PB-1000 & HSU VTF3 MK4

I would obviously use the floorstanders as the LR, keep one Mini as the CC, move the other two to use as the surrounds and use the Primes as the Atmos speakers in a 5.2.2 setup.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Haha! I've been intrigued with Canton for quite some time! The thing with the Monitors is that I already have them, I dig them, and I believe they timber match, having the same tweeter and a very similar mid-range/mid-bass situation.

Do you have experience with the Cantons?
Not in home, but have heard several over the years and have always liked them. They were in a few boutique stores around me in the mid 90s thru mid 2000s.

The voicing between your current ones should be fairly close to the V7s so it seems good for your current upgrade path.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Not in home, but have heard several over the years and have always liked them. They were in a few boutique stores around me in the mid 90s thru mid 2000s.

The voicing between your current ones should be fairly close to the V7s so it seems good for your current upgrade path.
Yeah, they'd all be v7's

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have the higher end Canton Vento 820.2 bookshelves but haven’t heard the other series. I’m using mine for music listening in my bedroom 2.1 with a small sub. I wish I had the cash to try a Vento tower in my theater room but I’m not in the market for that type of upgrade this year. Maybe a couple years down the road. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Haha! I've been intrigued with Canton for quite some time! The thing with the Monitors is that I already have them, I dig them, and I believe they timber match, having the same tweeter and a very similar mid-range/mid-bass situation.

Do you have experience with the Cantons?
Generally speaking Paradigm are fine speakers, but way over-priced (IMHO).
However, at 50% off they begin to be competitive speakers!
Since you know and like the sound of them, I'd be reluctant to suggest any other options unless you are willing to entertain taking the time and expense to do in-room comparisons with other speakers.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I have the higher end Canton Vento 820.2 bookshelves but haven’t heard the other series. I’m using mine for music listening in my bedroom 2.1 with a small sub. I wish I had the cash to try a Vento tower in my theater room but I’m not in the market for that type of upgrade this year. Maybe a couple years down the road. :)
I hear ya on that. Part of me says just give it a little time and grab the new Premier 800f towers. I'm gonna grab a 65" or 75" TV for Black Friday. I want to see what I can pull off for $2500. If the rest of my year kicks ass at work... who knows!?! I work in the linework trade and this is the time of year we rack up that double time:D

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Generally speaking Paradigm are fine speakers, but way over-priced (IMHO).
However, at 50% off they begin to be competitive speakers!
Since you know and like the sound of them, I'd be reluctant to suggest any other options unless you are willing to entertain taking the time and expense to do in-room comparisons with other speakers.
I know you really dig those ceramic tweeters! I feel if I went the Canton route I'd want to spend quite a bit more and get the Chrono towers or beyond. I really wish I could hear them in person. I did get my 3 Mini Monitors for $600 total. I try to never pay full retail, but I'm willing if I have to.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I just noticed that both the GLE 496 and the GLE 490.2 are 2X 8" woofer, 1X 7" mid floorstanders at $350 each ($315 after the 10% discount). Specifications are the same! Do you know what the difference is?
I dont sorry.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know you really dig those ceramic tweeters! I feel if I went the Canton route I'd want to spend quite a bit more and get the Chrono towers or beyond. I really wish I could hear them in person. I did get my 3 Mini Monitors for $600 total. I try to never pay full retail, but I'm willing if I have to.
Yeah, I'd put the Canton Vento ceramic right up there with world class tweeters like my Focal Be tweeters and the RAAL ribbon! To get that level of quality in a $800 pair set of bookshelf speakers is great! To be clear, the Ventos are not just about the tweeter, the mid-bass and XO all come together to make a world class speaker. I do believe it is a slightly forward speaker, but the highs are so clear, I like the little extra shine.
If you prefer laid back speakers, you might not like it so well. I dislike laid back (I found the Elac Debut version 1 dull), am happy with neutral, and am happy with a little forwardness as long as it is clean and smooth (nothing abrupt in the FR).
The Chronos also have a very good tweeter for their price point, but it is not a stand-out item like the Vento tweeter.
I have thought about checking out the Vento towers, but the Vento Bookshelf plays as loud as I ever listen and I have good subs for bass, so I cannot see paying $2160 for a pair of Vento Towers! That is over 3 times the price of the Vento bookshelf speakers I bought last year during Black Friday sale (which pretty much ran from BF until New Years)! For Black Friday, the Vento Bookshelf went for $600/pr in black and $640/pr in white. Now they are both $810/pr. Still a great deal on such a good speaker, but I'm glad snakeeyes got his when they were still $720 (white).
I wish I had been paying attention to the towers to see what they were going for last year!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I'd put the Canton Vento ceramic right up there with world class tweeters like my Focal Be tweeters and the RAAL ribbon! To get that level of quality in a $800 pair set of bookshelf speakers is great! To be clear, the Ventos are not just about the tweeter, the mid-bass and XO all come together to make a world class speaker. I do believe it is a slightly forward speaker, but the highs are so clear, I like the little extra shine.
If you prefer laid back speakers, you might not like it so well. I dislike laid back (I found the Elac Debut version 1 dull), am happy with neutral, and am happy with a little forwardness as long as it is clean and smooth (nothing abrupt in the FR).
The Chronos also have a very good tweeter for their price point, but it is not a stand-out item like the Vento tweeter.
I have thought about checking out the Vento towers, but the Vento Bookshelf plays as loud as I ever listen and I have good subs for bass, so I cannot see paying $2160 for a pair of Vento Towers! That is over 3 times the price of the Vento bookshelf speakers I bought last year during Black Friday sale (which pretty much ran from BF until New Years)! For Black Friday, the Vento Bookshelf went for $600/pr in black and $640/pr in white. Now they are both $810/pr. Still a great deal on such a good speaker, but I'm glad snakeeyes got his when they were still $720 (white).
I wish I had been paying attention to the towers to see what they were going for last year!
I'm so frickin impatient!! I really ought to wait. I wonder how the chronos might be discounted if at all.

To be honest, I'm not sure towers are really necessary as I'm running two pretty decent subs, crossed at 80hz in a 1750ft³ room.. I do like the sound of my Mini Monitors. I chose them over the Klipsch RP160, Monitor Audio Bronze and KEF Q150. I honestly wonder if I should be stepping my AVR up to a 4400H from my 2300w. Jeez... It's too much at times!!!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm so frickin impatient!! I really ought to wait. I wonder how the chronos might be discounted if at all.

To be honest, I'm not sure towers are really necessary as I'm running two pretty decent subs, crossed at 80hz in a 1750ft³ room.. I do like the sound of my Mini Monitors. I chose them over the Klipsch RP160, Monitor Audio Bronze and KEF Q150. I honestly wonder if I should be stepping my AVR up to a 4400H from my 2300w. Jeez... It's too much at times!!!
Believe me, I know what you mean. Like almost any endeavor, 80% is readily attainable (reasonably priced),but once you get into the 90% and especially the upper 90's the cost of a little better gets kind of insane.
However, despite having some pretty nice gear, give me a pair of Philharmonic AA's or JBL LSR 305's with some good music and I am happy!
As TLSGuy puts it, sins of omission are better than sins of commission; I can live with a little loss of detail, a little loss of bass, and, to a lesser extent, loss of highs, and long as the sounds that are presented are clean and reasonably balanced.

You might consider the $600 3400 instead of the $900 4400. As I understand it the main difference is how many speakers it will manage. 5.2 or 7.2 and the 4400 would be a bit of a waste! The 3400 gets your Audyssey XT32, which is what most people are after!
However, I would also consider that it is not a bad idea to live with good, but not necessarily great speakers to mature your awareness of your preferences before committing to high dollar speakers. I am not convinced that "my best" speaker now is the same as "my best" speakers 10 years ago (when I allowed my audio addiction to resurface). Also check for audio clubs in your area. You know there are some great systems on your area. I am generally disappointed with the AVS forum, but they do have a thread dedicated to people willing to demo their system for others by location and speaker model:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1354492-i-ll-demo-my-speakers-other-enthusiasts-thread.html
If you are ever passing through Atlanta, take an extra day and I'd be happy to host you for some A-B comparisons!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I guess maybe they raised the prices so they can drop prices at Black Friday.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Believe me, I know what you mean. Like almost any endeavor, 80% is readily attainable (reasonably priced), but once you get into the 90% and especially the upper 90's the cost of a little better gets kind of insane.
However, despite having some pretty nice gear, give me a pair of Philharmonic AA's or JBL LSR 305's with some good music and I am happy!
As TLSGuy puts it, sins of omission are better than sins of commission; I can live with a little loss of detail, a little loss of bass, and, to a lesser extent, loss of highs, and long as the sounds that are presented are clean and reasonably balanced.

You might consider the $600 3400 instead of the $900 4400. As I understand it the main difference is how many speakers it will manage. 5.2 or 7.2 and the 4400 would be a bit of a waste! The 3400 gets your Audyssey XT32, which is what most people are after!
However, I would also consider that it is not a bad idea to live with good, but not necessarily great speakers to mature your awareness of your preferences before committing to high dollar speakers. I am not convinced that "my best" speaker now is the same as "my best" speakers 10 years ago (when I allowed my audio addiction to resurface). Also check for audio clubs in your area. You know there are some great systems on your area. I am generally disappointed with VS forum, but they do have a thread dedicated to people willing to demo their system for others by location and speaker model:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1354492-i-ll-demo-my-speakers-other-enthusiasts-thread.html
If you are ever passing through Atlanta, take an extra day and I'd be happy to host you for some A-B comparisons!
First, thanks for the offer! Very gracious indeed. My thoughts on the 4400 extend to the 11.2 ch capabilities and the built in Auro 3d. I consider it to be future proofing. I've read that there's very little content that uses it, but I did notice that the firmware update is $200 presently. Also, some more power on tap is appealing to me. My $0.02 :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis