Paradigm Monitor 5 vs. Monitor 3; any users who can compare?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I'm still a relative newbie to audio so I'm posting here to make sure that I'm not making a big mistake.

I recently got into audio with the help of posters here at Audioholics. I started with a pair of B&W DM601 s3's right off the bat...perhaps a rushed decision, but I wanted something dangit and you can certainly do worse. At any rate, I don't have them any more...long story short, I had a friend in a financial crisis and had to return all of my speakers (601's and LCR60) to help out. Thank goodness for 30 day return policies. That has since passed and I've been able to sort of start over with a clean slate and use all the knowledge I've obtained since buying the 601's. I always, to some degree, wondered "what if" after buying my B&W's. Reason being; I had also demo'd some Paradigm mini monitors and was blown away.

Lets cut to the chase. I ended up pulling the trigger on Paradigm's this time, thinking back to my "what if" notions. I ended up getting the CC 370 and a pair of Monitor 5's. They all arrived today. Then began the trouble, sort of. Thing is, the monitor 5's seem much bigger in my little living room as compared to the huge audition room at the store. My solution? I'm thinking about exchanging them and going down a notch to the Monitor 3's. Could anyone speak to the ramifications of this consideration? Both get glowing reviews. They're very close in sensitivity and frequency response. They're seems to be a lot of similarities...except for their driver set up. The 5's are a 3 way design with dual 6.5's, while the 3's are a 2 way design with a single 8" set up. Does this create a huge difference? Has anyone compared these models side by side? Space is a huge concern for me, but I don't really want to sacrifice sound. Any input is greatly appreciated.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
Personally I don't see where the monitor 3's will save you that much more room, both require stands and will take up the same amount of floor space. As for the sound quality, I prefer the sound of the 6.5s over the 8 inch woofers, just a smoother and tighter bass. One option is maybe going with the monitor 7's, although they are floorstanders, you can put them closer to the wall as they are front ported, just a thought. You will love any of them, i have the 7's and they are great, so enjoy!!!

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. I guess I could have been a little more specific. I guess it's less of a concern for actual space vs. visualized space, if that makes any sense. True, the stands would be the same. But I think the problem I'm having is that the Monitor 5's on my stands look huge...really, really tall. I bought the Premier s22 stands, as suggested by the monitor series site. (they suggest the s18 or the s22). In looking at the site, the Monitor 3's are actually 6" shorter, so that seems pretty substantial, especially when you're considering cubic inches, including the speakers depth and width. Floorstanders are out of the question as I just moved away from them, having sold some Boston CR95's. I like the smallness of the bookshelves.

At any rate, I think the sound is really more important, and as mentioned, you think the bass sounds a little tighter from the dual 6.5's. I do have a pretty serious sub (and SVS PB10-ISD) and crossover on my receiver is set at 80 Hz, so I wonder if that weighs into this discussion at all.

Thanks.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Before jumping on Paradigm's monitors I think

you audition PSB's Image series of speakers. Stereophile did a review on the Image B25s inDec2004 and said that for 500.00, they are one of the best speakers out there in that price range. Givem a listen. Can't hurt

cam

cam

Audioholic
corysmith01 said:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I could have been a little more specific. I guess it's less of a concern for actual space vs. visualized space, if that makes any sense. True, the stands would be the same. But I think the problem I'm having is that the Monitor 5's on my stands look huge...really, really tall. I bought the Premier s22 stands, as suggested by the monitor series site. (they suggest the s18 or the s22). In looking at the site, the Monitor 3's are actually 6" shorter, so that seems pretty substantial, especially when you're considering cubic inches, including the speakers depth and width. Floorstanders are out of the question as I just moved away from them, having sold some Boston CR95's. I like the smallness of the bookshelves.

At any rate, I think the sound is really more important, and as mentioned, you think the bass sounds a little tighter from the dual 6.5's. I do have a pretty serious sub (and SVS PB10-ISD) and crossover on my receiver is set at 80 Hz, so I wonder if that weighs into this discussion at all.

Thanks.
To you the 5's seem really tall, and in fact they are a very tall standmout which may take a little getting use to. The 3's are not as tall but they are fatter which may seem a little awkward and may take some time to get use to also vissually. 18 months ago I auditioned all the monitor line v3's and I ended up getting the 7's but I did consider the standmounts and here is what I came up with. The mini monitors sounded great and looked very good on 24 inch stands, I liked the 3's even better and they looked at there best on 22 inch stands but looked funny to me because of the width of the box but I was happy with the sound of the 3's and I figured I would get use to them sooner or later if I bought them. The 5's (to me) sounded thinner and looked very goofy on stands and since I didn't like the sound it didn't matter what they looked like. But the 5's do look at there best on 18 inch stands. You did say you have a sub so you could get a pair of minis which look the best on stands and be completely happy but if you can, trade those stands in for some 24 inch ones. If you are stuck with your 22 inch stands then trade those 5's for some 3's. If by the time you read this you decided you love your 5's then fine, but get those 18 inch stands, your 5's will look way better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis