Paradigm Mini Monitor

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
Can anybody in this forum attest to the high performance of Paradigm MIni Monitor? Im planning to buy a pair not just for my HT set up but also for my 2 channel audio listening powered by a tube amp.

The reviews from the Paradigm site is quite impressive but i need to hear it from consumers in this forum.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

B

barosborough

Audiophyte
I too am interested in the monitor mini's. I'd like to be able to compare them with similar offerings from Acsend Acoustics (CBM-170 or CMT-340m).

I just went to listen to the paradigms today but didn't get around to it. The Acsend's are mail/online order only.

I'd like to match them with a HK AVR 330 and a HSU STF - 3 sub. Thanks

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I have owned several pair of Paradigm speakers over the years. I have not owned a pair of the mini-monitors, but I have read a few reviews on them in the past. I have yet to read any review that was not a ringing endorsement. They say these speakers have unbelivable performance for their size and price.

I have heard them a few times in store demos, and I was impressed. I ended up buying a larger, floor standing pair (11seMk3). The mini-monitors feel like a solid piece of metal when you pick them up. They sound great to me, but speaker auditioning is a personal taste. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

A

adb3da

Audiophyte
I just bought a pair of Mini Monitors about six weeks ago. I wasn't even planning on buying speakers, but they had one last pair of the V.3's on clearance and their performance blew me away for the price...I couldn't say no.

These are my first Paradigm speakers, and they will certainly not be my last. My other current speakers are two pair of Polks and a pair of Design Acoustic PS 10's. The Mini Monitors have amazing bass response for a 6.5" driver. The tone is much more neutral than my Polks. I sometimes had listening fatigue with music on my Polks, and this is non existent with the 'digms. Fit and finnish is also very fine for a speaker at this price point. I am already planning on buying more, I am just not sure which yet. Go audition, and see if you feel they perform better than what you are used to.

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
adb3da, actually ive already auditioned a mini monitor and i was totally impressed. But the problem is, the store where i auditioned it is heavily treated (acoustically). Here in the Philippines they wouldnt allow you to audition it in your own home using your equipment that is why im getting some vital information from users like you.

Thank you so much for your comments

A

adb3da

Audiophyte
Hey, no problem. Have you listened to the Studio 20's? If not, you should try to give them a listen as well. They are a bit more expensive, but I think they are worth it. They are more detailed across the board. I plan on buying a pair within the next 12 months.

It's tough to say how the Mini's will sound in your home. Obviously the dealers have the rooms setup for optimal listening conditions. Let me put it this way, I was not disappointed with the way they sounded when I brought them home.

Are there any other speakers you are considering?

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
I am also considering B&W 602 and and JM lab Chorus but these are a lot expensive that the Mini Monitors. My budget is quite limited so im only considerin speakers within the Mini Monitor price range.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
The Mini Monitor is indeed a good speaker. There were on my list, as well as the Energy C-3's, and the Paradigm Studio 20. I liked the Studio 20 the best, followed closely by the C-3's.

I still preferred the C-3's over the mini mons, so that's what I ended up buying, and for my home theater, the extra crispness and detail seemed to let me hear the dialogue more clearly especially when coupled with the Energy C-C3 center channel. But the Mini monitors are a good buy, I wouldn't hestitate to recommend them to anybody looking for a high value, low priced speaker.

If you do have the money, I'd really suggest you listen to the Studio 20's, they are a step above (as they should be given the price difference), and they are quite a bit more tight but authoratative sounding than the Mini monitors...quite apparent if you listen to them back to back.

Last edited:
I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
warpdrive, yes i was able to confirm your recommendation of buying a Studio20 when i auditioned it last saturday. However, the price is beyond my budget.

What i am seriously considering is either a Mini Monitor or a B&W 602 S3. The B&W is a little expensive but if the improvement in sound is tremendous then the price difference is not a major concern.

I was able to audition the two separately but it would be better if side by side.

Can anybody in this forum do a parallel comparison of the two? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
Finally, i already bought these speakers and WOW! :eek: it never ceases to amaze me! To think its a small bookshelf with just 6.5 inches driver, i never expected to get a performance for a reasonably priced speaker.

My next dilemma however is my center speaker. Im currently using a JM Lab CC770 speaker and my upgrading itch bothers me. Im looking at a CC270(due to my budget constraints) but my instincts tells me to go for the CC370. In fairness to my JM's, the dialogues are quite crisp but im pretty sure timbre matching my fronts with even improved my HT set-up.

Is there a big difference between the CC270 and the 370?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
Congrats!!

I had the minimon's for my surrounds with a cc-370 prior to upgrading to the Studio line.

The CC-370 produces vocals and HT sound with incredible clarity and dimension, I would really suggest going to the 370 if you can budget it.

My Equipment:
Harmon Kardon AVR630
Paradigm Studio 100’s Front v3
Paradigm Studio CC-470 Center v3
Paradigm Studio 20’s Surrounds v3
Harmon Kardon DVD-101
2.6gig HTPC W/Audigy2, 7.1, direct coax
XBoX
Samsung 50” DLP
SVS 20-39 PC+

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
I just replaced my CC-270 with the CC-370. Yes it it worth the extra money and will perfectly match your monitors. The 270 matches well with the performance series from paradigm. I do notice the difference :) I'm also in a little delemma - I don't know if I should go with the mini-monitors as my surround upgrade, or go with the ADP370's ;)

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
I'm also in the market for some Mini Monitors. I just started building my HT, and since i'm a poor college student, i've been forced to do it very slowly.

What i currently have is a pair of Titans as fronts, and a CC150 as a center. I borrwed my friends pair of Bose 201's for surrounds, and no subwoofer thus far. Being powered by a Yammy HTR5760.

My plan was to grab a pair of Mini's for fronts, and retire the Titans to surrounds. I'm guessing the 150 is going to sound pretty weak in between the Mini's, so i was also going to upgrade that (preferably 370, maybe 270 because of budget constraints).

However, my receiver is 7.1, and I wanted to utilize that feature. My questions are, what would it sound like if I put the the CC150 as a rear center in a 6.1 set up. Would it be better than a pair of Titans, or Atoms? Would it be possible to bi-amp the cc150 with the rear left and rear right posts on the receiver?

I'm quite new at this, so any input would be great.

Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis