Paradigm Defiance X15 Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
True. I don't know why Tom doesn't send out some of his newer subs to Database. I can say that PSA customer service is 2nd to none IMHO.
The App stuff is nice for sure.

I wonder if some people are concerned with country of origin & QC when it comes to parts? I wonder how much tariffs will impact us... As far as I know most of PSA components are manufactured and assembled in the United States.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The Defiance X subs are made in Canada, for what its worth.

M

Mrpoe

Audiophyte
To be fair, the X15 would not be able to do anywhere near 119dB for the opening scene in Edge of Tomorrow. That is a 10 Hz square wave. There are few subs that could actually reproduce that scene, and most that try would output almost entirely distortion instead of the actual source waveform. The infamous tone at the beginning of Edge of Tomorrow is mostly misunderstood as source content.
Ok thanks for clarifying that and still, i just tryed a couple of songs from the subwoofer candy thread like eminem killshot, james blake limit to your love and couldn't pass the 110db mark

D

Dootin

Audiophyte
Hello Shady. I am hoping for your opinion reference my goals. I will be using my system for 60% HT vs 40% multi channel Audio. Under 3000 Sq ft room. My typical listening level is +5 to reference. I am looking for a chest slam and TR, and realize I will be making a compromise of both because of my preference. System will consist of 5 Klipsch rp 8000's and 4 wall mounted Atmos speakers overhead. Subs I am considering, 2 of which will be used in my system, are the paradigm X15 vs the Mono M15. Subs that are bullet proof to over driving is an important feature to me, since I have damaged previous subs while being stupid in the past. I just don't want to worry about that. I consider the room correction ability of the X 15's an important option. I am not looking at spending much more than $1500.00 each on a subwoofer.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello Shady. I am hoping for your opinion reference my goals. I will be using my system for 60% HT vs 40% multi channel Audio. Under 3000 Sq ft room. My typical listening level is +5 to reference. I am looking for a chest slam and TR, and realize I will be making a compromise of both because of my preference. System will consist of 5 Klipsch rp 8000's and 4 wall mounted Atmos speakers overhead. Subs I am considering, 2 of which will be used in my system, are the paradigm X15 vs the Mono M15. Subs that are bullet proof to over driving is an important feature to me, since I have damaged previous subs while being stupid in the past. I just don't want to worry about that. I consider the room correction ability of the X 15's an important option. I am not looking at spending much more than $1500.00 each on a subwoofer.
Either sub is a fine choice. The Monolith sub will dig a bit deeper, but the Paradigm sub will have a bit more punch. The problem with the ARC app on the Paradigm in a multi-sub system is that they will not calibrate the subs together, and that is important in a multi-sub system. You will want to equalize all the subs as a single system. The ARC app might help taper some peaks a bit, so it still may be of some use.

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
This is on my list to look into purchasing. Its the only local 15 inch I have available.

D

Donovan84

Audiophyte
How does the X15 and X12 sound at moderate music listening levels. Along with movie watching I also listen to a lot of music. Looking at a pair of X12’s in a system with an Anthem MRX 720 and a Revel surround setup featuring a pair of Performa M106’s.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How does the X15 and X12 sound at moderate music listening levels. Along with movie watching I also listen to a lot of music. Looking at a pair of X12’s in a system with an Anthem MRX 720 and a Revel surround setup featuring a pair of Performa M106’s.
They would be very good at lower levels, of course. A pair of X12s would make for a superb music system.

D

Donovan84

Audiophyte
Would be curious if anyone has heard either the Defiance X12 or X15 and the REL HT-1503. They are priced fairly close and seem to be after a similar target audience.

H

Hblackheart

Audiophyte
Interesting. Not sure they need an 18 but a duel opposed 15 would hit the spot nicely. But ask me to give up my tc sounds 5400 ultra with 2 passives.... Ummm, no.
Upgrade for my pw3400... with a duel opposed 15... In a heart beat.

Matt34

Matt34

Good review @shadyJ , it sealed the deal for me to try one out. Now for the 2 week wait for freight shipment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis