Paradigm Comparison

F

fastfreddy

Junior Audioholic
Hi I am asking this comparison question only because I can not compare the two speakers in question side by side in my area which is unfortunate. I presently am using Paradigm monitor 7 V3 for my fronts. I am looking to upgrade and this brings my question. I am looking into purchasing new fronts and I am wondering if anyone out there has either upgraded from the monitor series to the studio series 40 or 60 or has had an opportunity to listen to the monitor series and studio series side by side. If so is the sound in the studio series worth the 700 dollor canadian differnce. The AVR I am using is the Denon 3805. Any opinions would be gtreatly appreciatred.

Thanks in advance.

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
Wow... the bottom line question has to be your call but..........

I have listened pretty extensively to the Monitor 7's the Monitor 11's the Studio 20's the Studio 60's and the Studio 100's. I have done a/b comparisons with the monitor 11's and the studio 100's at my local dealer, I will try to give you my thoughts as best I can. Mind you this was not a calibrated scientific comparison, levels were not set with an SPL meter, it was simply having them hooked up side by side and using an a/b switch. I think for most this type of testing will yield acceptable results.

**In my opinion** the studio line is tighter in the bass and stronger in the midrange, it has better imaging than the monitor line. The thing that stands out for me the most between the two is the overall sound presentation from the studio line is more enveloping, the speakers don’t draw attention to themselves the way that the monitors do. I notice much more detail with the studio line, some subtle sounds I just don’t hear in the monitors.

Your question about the difference in price is something you will need to evaluate for yourself. I appreciate your dilemma, I am in a similar one. I currently have the Axiom M60’s as my fronts the Paradigm Mini Monitors for surrounds and the Paradigm CC-370 as my center. I have been contemplating for a month whether I should go to the Studio line. Again the question arises, is it worth the effort and capital spent? I have a darn good setup as it sits but there is always the pursuit for that little bit more.

I originally thought the monitor 11’s would complete my setup and I would be done, this did not prove to be the case. I did side by side testing in my home with the Monitor 11’s head to head against my Axiom M60’s and the Axiom M60’s **in my opinion** sounded better. **To me** the M60’s are pretty comparable to the Studio 60’s in sound.

Please realize I am not trying to confuse you more with another brand of speaker I am simply stating my experiences.

I have all but made up my mind that I will make the switch over the next month to the Studio’s. **For me** the difference between the Mini Monitors to the Studio 20 is large, the difference between the CC-370 to the CC-470 is somewhat substantial, and the difference between the Axiom M60’s to the Studio 100’s is slight but still present, for me it boils down to the transparency and imaging that I hear with the Studio 100’s.

I hope I have helped and not confused the situation further, also please note the asterisks denote my opinions, naturally everyone will have their own opinions when it comes to something as critical as ones ears and the way they perceive sounds. The bottom line will be your ears and your wallet, best of luck with your decision.

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
fastfreddy said:
Hi I am asking this comparison question only because I can not compare the two speakers in question side by side in my area which is unfortunate. I presently am using Paradigm monitor 7 V3 for my fronts. I am looking to upgrade and this brings my question. I am looking into purchasing new fronts and I am wondering if anyone out there has either upgraded from the monitor series to the studio series 40 or 60 or has had an opportunity to listen to the monitor series and studio series side by side. If so is the sound in the studio series worth the 700 dollor canadian differnce. The AVR I am using is the Denon 3805. Any opinions would be gtreatly appreciatred.

Thanks in advance.
I haven't upgraded but I just bought the Studio 40's they are fantastic! Highly recomended. I have been playing all my cd's again (since radio sucks anyway). Give the 40's a listen.

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
Well it has begun..........I purchased my Paradigm CC-470 today, man this thing is like 40lbs! It’s huge! I have to figure out a new way to permanently mount this monster.

So far I have only had a few minutes to actually sit down and listen to it but in those few minutes of flipping thru some channels and listening to some dialogue it sure seems crisp. I popped in my David Benoit master recording and the snare drum is incredibly powerful, as if it were actually being played in the room with me, it never sounded this clear before (listening thru my HK-630 Logic 7 mode).

I'm thinking I will pick up my Studio 20’s this weekend for the surrounds. As for the Studio 100’s I think I will hold off for a bit and see how my Axiom M60’s blend with the whole combination. So far the Axioms and the new CC-470 seem to compliment each other pretty well. I’ll know more once the Studio 20’s are here and I can sit and spend a few hours listening to them all.

Just my initial thoughts, I’ll post more later………

Last edited:
G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
The Studio 20's are here now also........how in the world do they get those small boxes to sound sooooo great! I can now see (hear) why they have received such acclaim.

I honestly didn’t think there would be as much difference between the Minimonitors/cc-370 and the Studio 20's/cc-470 but it is quite substantial.

The level of detail from the Studio line is incredible. So far the Axiom M60's are holding their own in the fronts but I notice a timbre difference quite a bit now. I guess this means I will need to expedite the arrival of my Studio 100's, I think I'll pick them up within the next couple weeks.

Equipment:
Harmon Kardon AVR630
Axiom M60’s Fronts (Paradigm Studio 100’s soon)
Paradigm Studio CC-470 Center
Paradigm Studio 20’s Surrounds
Harmon Kardon DVD-101
2.6gig HTPC W/Audigy2, 7.1, direct coax
XBoX
Samsung 50” DLP
SVS 20-39 PC+

Last edited:
C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
The Studio speakers do sound better than the Monitor-7's. I just purchased the Monitor-7 V.4's and did compare these to the Studio line. This really comes down to a few factors like your listening enviroment, money, and your own ears.
For me personally, it was hard to convince myself that the price difference was worth it at this time.

GeneticDrift: How did you mount that CC-470?

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
cownd said:
GeneticDrift: How did you mount that CC-470?

It is mounted with some miter cut wood spacers temporarily, I am in the process of building a shelf which will take the majority of the weight off of the T.V.

Congrats on the Monitor-7’s they are a great speaker.

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
My journey is complete!

I picked up my Studio 100's tonight and just spent the last hour doing some listening, fricken incredible how great these sound! The soundstage and clarity they produce is something to behold. Each instrument has its own area, no instrument sounds on top of any other nor can the speakers be located in the room with your eyes closed. I never imagined they would be this great!

Equipment:
Harmon Kardon AVR630
Paradigm Studio 100’s Front
Paradigm Studio CC-470 Center
Paradigm Studio 20’s Surrounds
Harmon Kardon DVD-101
2.6gig HTPC W/Audigy2, 7.1, direct coax
XBoX
Samsung 50” DLP
SVS 20-39 PC+

K

kenaudio

Audiophyte
GeneticDrift,
I'm getting the same set up as yours except for the CC470. Any reason why you got the 470 instead of the 570.
Thanks

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
I didn’t have the opportunity to audition the 570 but if my dealer gets one in I will definitely check it out. I am a bit leery about the 4'' midrange driver it has as it is not common to the other drivers.

I think I would be surprised if it did sound much different than this 470. I gotta tell you though this 470 is everything you could ever want in my opinion.

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
Paradigm Studio Reference V.3 Speakers

Genetic Drift,

Congratulations. You've selected almost the same set up as I have - I have the 100's, cc-470, but adp-470s instead of 20s. Your system must sound great.

On the question of the cc-470 vs cc-570, I did demo them both, and preferred the sound of the 470, since my perception was that it did a better job of reproducing the vocal range of sound, which is usually what is captured in a center channel. I was predisposed to the 570, but my dealer convinced me to give the 470 a serious listen, and then, I liked it better.

Pat :cool:

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
My thoughts are the fact that the 470 contains the same midrange drivers as my 20's and my 100's and it sure sounds incredible having them all match. It also plays incredibly low to boot, at times I think its my sub but its my center lol. Im totally pleased with it in every aspect.

Last edited:
B

bhrvatin

Enthusiast
I'm really interested in building a Studio 60/ CC-470/ ADP-470 system (haven't figured out the sub yet.) How well do the ADPs work in a 5.1 system as rear surrounds? I know that Paradigm recommends placing them on the sides of the listener, but my room does not allow for that configuration. I would probably mount them about 2 feet above ear level on a wall directly behind my couch. Are any of you folks using that configuration?

(This is my first post on Audioholics :) )

Bart

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
bhrvatin said:
I'm really interested in building a Studio 60/ CC-470/ ADP-470 system (haven't figured out the sub yet.) How well do the ADPs work in a 5.1 system as rear surrounds? I know that Paradigm recommends placing them on the sides of the listener, but my room does not allow for that configuration. I would probably mount them about 2 feet above ear level on a wall directly behind my couch. Are any of you folks using that configuration?

(This is my first post on Audioholics :) )

Bart
How much space do you have behind your seating?? I'm thinking you should go with a "regular surround" on stands if you cannot mount the ADP's beside you. But, please allow others to comment before making your decision. I'm also curious why you cannot mount the ADP's on the side's using stands instead of wall mounting?

B

bhrvatin

Enthusiast
cownd said:
How much space do you have behind your seating?? I'm thinking you should go with a "regular surround" on stands if you cannot mount the ADP's beside you. But, please allow others to comment before making your decision. I'm also curious why you cannot mount the ADP's on the side's using stands instead of wall mounting?
Behind the couch I have at least 12 inches to the wall. One side of the room has no wall, it is open to the kitchen/breakfast area, so one wall is availble for a side ADP, but there is no "left" wall. Stands are out of the question, children and wife protest them.

I have considered mounting the surrounds on shelves on the back wall, so I could possibly toe-in the "null" towards my central listening area. I realize that this might create a lot reflection directly off the rear wall from the rear-facing drivers, but may be worth investigating. Each surround would be about 6-8 ft from the ears of the listeners in the central position.

At any rate, I will obviously be doing a lot of experimentation before the permanent home for the ADPs in the room is decided upon. I am still however curious what other listeners are doing in similar rooms...

Bart

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Same and sounds great

bhrvatin said:
Behind the couch I have at least 12 inches to the wall. One side of the room has no wall, it is open to the kitchen/breakfast area, so one wall is availble for a side ADP, but there is no "left" wall. Stands are out of the question, children and wife protest them.

I have considered mounting the surrounds on shelves on the back wall, so I could possibly toe-in the "null" towards my central listening area. I realize that this might create a lot reflection directly off the rear wall from the rear-facing drivers, but may be worth investigating. Each surround would be about 6-8 ft from the ears of the listeners in the central position.
Bart
One side of my room has sliding doors, the other completely open to the diring room, kitchen, hallway and stariway. Since my better half refused stands to the side (tables and floor lamps instead), the only alternative was a long floating shelf just behind and at the same level as the top of the couch. I first had monopoles and a rear centre in a 6.1 system on the back shelf. Side surrounds facing each other and rear centre facing TV. Way too localized.

Next upgrade was Monitor System 7 with ADP-370's on shelf against back wall facing TV (like rear surrounds in a 7.1 system), null point where you're head would be while sittiing on the couch. Much improved! The reverberant sound field from the ADP's is what I wanted since my sources are two channel, TV and movies. This configuration works extremely well with surround info. very non localized even with the close proximity. However, higher is better for the sourrounds.

Jealous. To justify the Studio 100 system, I'd personally need Anthem separates (AVM 30 and MCA 5), which is double the Monitor System 7 and AVR-3805 in price, but not performance. I auditioned the Studio 100 system with the 3805 and unfortunately, it didn't do them justice.

Last edited:
T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
I also had the same dilemna with one side wall and open space (kitchen) on the other side. For eight months I used Paradigm SA-30 in-wall speakers on the rear wall and they have provided well as surrounds because of their surprising wide dispersion. But I had always wondered if I could do better with the ADP-470s. I used the SA-30s because they were purchased new from Audiogon for $400 and couldn't afford the $900+ ADPs at the time.

Currently, I have ADP-470s mounted 1.5' lower than the 9' ceiling and noticed that they provide a larger rear soundstage. I would recommend that you install the ADP-470s on the rear wall and not worry about them not being on the sides. It's not as ideal if they were on the sides but they still perform great for home theater and music.

B

bhrvatin

Enthusiast
Audiosouse said:
Jealous. To justify the Studio 100 system, I'd personally need Anthem separates (AVM 30 and MCA 5), which is double the Monitor System 7 and AVR-3805 in price, but not performance. I auditioned the Studio 100 system with the 3805 and unfortunately, it didn't do them justice.
Thanks to all for your replies/recommendations!

The AVR-3805 is my current choice for amplification/switching etc. but should I perhaps hear the Studio 60s on it first? I have been auditioning it with the Anthem separates. Is the Denon weak in any respects? Or are the Anthem separates that much better?

(Sometimes part of me would rather spend $4k on a great 2-ch setup than $6k on a mediocre 5.1...)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis