Paradigm Atom or ASCEND ACOUSTICS CBM-170

T

Type

Audiophyte
Is the Paradigm Atom that much worse than the ASCEND ACOUSTICS CBM-170?
I haven't heard either one but they both get excellent reviews. Keeping in mind that the Atom is just about half the price, is the CBM-170 twice as good?

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
As you will here in the responses soon to come, there is no worse or better. It is purely subjectve, based on your ears and taste for sound.

The 170's are described as extremely transparent, meaning they do not color the sound at all. They have a 6 1/2" woofer versus a 5 1/4" for the atom. So, you are getting a bit bigger speaker with the ascends. That does not always mean better. It may mean lower bass extension. I am uncertain how transparent the atoms are. I am certain you will get responses on that as there are a lot of people who have and like paradigm here.

I would recommend ordering the 170's to demo and go to a paradigm shop to demo the atoms. They may even let you borrow the atoms, so you can do a side by side with your own electronics. Another point is that ascend has no middle man markup, no dealers, so more of the cash can go into the speakers. Paradigm is sold in high end shops, and they have to get paid too.

Good luck!

Pat

P

PatrickBateman

Junior Audioholic
patnshan said:
As you will here in the responses soon to come, there is no worse or better. It is purely subjectve, based on your ears and taste for sound.

The 170's are described as extremely transparent, meaning they do not color the sound at all. They have a 6 1/2" woofer versus a 5 1/4" for the atom. So, you are getting a bit bigger speaker with the ascends. That does not always mean better. It may mean lower bass extension. I am uncertain how transparent the atoms are. I am certain you will get responses on that as there are a lot of people who have and like paradigm here.

I would recommend ordering the 170's to demo and go to a paradigm shop to demo the atoms. They may even let you borrow the atoms, so you can do a side by side with your own electronics. Another point is that ascend has no middle man markup, no dealers, so more of the cash can go into the speakers. Paradigm is sold in high end shops, and they have to get paid too.

Good luck!

Pat
I have to tell you. I've heard both. The Ascend to me with the equipment I heard was absolutely that much better. No contest

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
The Atoms are great little speakers, I own a pair. However I think the Paradigm Mini Monitors would be the ones most comparable to the Ascend 170s. The Mini Monitors are great speakers too, in fact they are all good speakers, hard to go wrong. But just to repeat, the Atoms are not in the same class as the Ascends and the Mini Monitors so it is not really not a fair comparison.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
The Ascend 170 compares favorably with the Paradigm Studio 20 outside of bottom end extension. The Atoms are one of the best <$200 speakers out there but are not in the Ascend 170s league. The 170 is much better than my Mini-Monitors that they replaced IMO.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Tex-amp said:
University if Texas-Unofficial Big 10 Champs!
What the heck are you talking about :confused:

Haven't seen Wisconsin play this year, huh ;)

Pat (Lifelong Wisconsinite and Badger fan!)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
patnshan said:

UT would stomp Wisconsin too!

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
patnshan said:

I saw the NW game just today. :eek: :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis