Panny Vieracast and no sound/audio through HT speakers

D

Digi

Audioholic Intern
Any idea why I'm not getting sound through my receiver and HT speakers running Panny Vieracast (Amazon VOD,etc.)? I can get it only through the TV speakers. I read something about it not working through HDMI, which doesn't seem right, but I'll use Dish VOD if that's the case.

I've run almost every setting, both on the TV and the Yammy receiver and no luck yet. I set audio on the Panny to HT speaker but get nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Any idea why I'm not getting sound through my receiver and HT speakers running Panny Vieracast (Amazon VOD,etc.)? I can get it only through the TV speakers. I read something about it not working through HDMI, which doesn't seem right, but I'll use Dish VOD if that's the case.

I've run almost every setting, both on the TV and the Yammy receiver and no luck yet. I set audio on the Panny to HT speaker but get nothing.

Thanks.
Its counter intuitive, but for most receivers, in the set up menu, you have to set the HDMI output (not the inputs) to off Then you will here sound from your speakers and not the TV. You have to choose one or the other and not both.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic

Thanks.
HDMI (1.4?) has a feature called Audio Return Channel (ARC). It allows audio to be fed back from the "downstream" device to the AVR via HDMI. It needs to be available and enabled on both devices to work.

Look for "HDMI Control" on your receiver.

Be aware that enabling this feature allows the TV to control certain AVR settings. I tried it and left it disabled because it kept fighting with the commands from my Harmony Remote. Seems you can't have the baby without the bath water.

D

Digi

Audioholic Intern
Panny Tc-P54G10 Plasma and Yamaha RX-A3000.

I do have the return control on in the receiver and can control the volume, levels and get sound when viewing the normal tv content and get sound through the HT speakers, but it's a Vieracast thing - once I switch it over to Vieracast, no audio. I also have the Vieralink setting to go to HT speakers, not tv. The auto-switching works pretty well, but I'm trying to avoid running one more cable (optical) to the tv from receiver (which seems to be one solution that works) to get sound in that mode. It would seem odd that the audio wouldn't be available via hdmi (ARC or otherwise, unless Vieracast is only send video via hdmi and not audio).

TLS- I tried turning the HDMI outs to off while in that mode and no luck there either (it does turn off the video when viewing normal tv while still passing the audio signal, which is good to know).

What model TV and receiver??

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Panny Tc-P54G10 Plasma and Yamaha RX-A3000.

I do have the return control on in the receiver and can control the volume, levels and get sound when viewing the normal tv content and get sound through the HT speakers, but it's a Vieracast thing - once I switch it over to Vieracast, no audio. I also have the Vieralink setting to go to HT speakers, not tv. The auto-switching works pretty well, but I'm trying to avoid running one more cable (optical) to the tv from receiver (which seems to be one solution that works) to get sound in that mode. It would seem odd that the audio wouldn't be available via hdmi (ARC or otherwise, unless Vieracast is only send video via hdmi and not audio).

TLS- I tried turning the HDMI outs to off while in that mode and no luck there either (it does turn off the video when viewing normal tv while still passing the audio signal, which is good to know).
That Panny manual is one of the worst I've seen.

If it were me I would switch off the Vieracast BS. I would switch off HDMI control on your receiver page 148.

Also for the receiver page 124 assign audio to your HDMI output and set HDMI to off. If that does not work there is something wrong. I would forget about audio returns and just use the TV as a plain monitor.

I'm glad my rig has a screen that is just a plain monitor, with no speakers or audio circuits. That's the way they should all be. I will always use pro monitors I think. These days a TV does not need audio circuits, not decent ones anyway.

D

Digi

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the ideas. They don't even provide a printed manual w/ the receiver - it's on an included cd :rolleyes: (besides the downloadable pdf).

I'll try the assignment - according to Panasonic support rep I chatted with a few minutes ago, you can only get audio via an extra optical connection. I really never use Vieracast except for an occasional movie download from Amazon, but now that I have a BD player, I'll be getting BD movies from Netflix amd just use VOD from Dish for regular HD movies. It just bugs me when something should work with the existing technology (video and video over hdmi), but doesn't.

Overall, I'm happy with my new setup and it's capabilities. I wish you could order audio/video equipment like cars - take that option, leave that option...no, I want the HO twin-turbo option :).

That Panny manual is one of the worst I've seen.

If it were me I would switch off the Vieracast BS. I would switch off HDMI control on your receiver page 148.

Also for the receiver page 124 assign audio to your HDMI output and set HDMI to off. If that does not work there is something wrong. I would forget about audio returns and just use the TV as a plain monitor.

I'm glad my rig has a screen that is just a plain monitor, with no speakers or audio circuits. That's the way they should all be. I will always use pro monitors I think. These days a TV does not need audio circuits, not decent ones anyway.

R

Rich1

Audiophyte
Just had Best Buy Geek Squad install a Panasonic Blue Ray Player DMP-BDT 107 and Panasonic Plasma Viera TV
Watched a movie last night and the sound kept turning off my Denon receiver
Red light on Denon AVR 2807 was blinking.
Denon receiver is about 4 years old and I had no problem with it prior to hooking up new blue ray player with my previous Samsung Blue Ray player.
I hit the button and sound came back on.
It happened 3 times in a 2 hour movie.
Strange it is not happening when I run my Cable TV through the receiver.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just had Best Buy Geek Squad install a Panasonic Blue Ray Player DMP-BDT 107 and Panasonic Plasma Viera TV
Watched a movie last night and the sound kept turning off my Denon receiver
Red light on Denon AVR 2807 was blinking.
Denon receiver is about 4 years old and I had no problem with it prior to hooking up new blue ray player with my previous Samsung Blue Ray player.
I hit the button and sound came back on.
It happened 3 times in a 2 hour movie.
Strange it is not happening when I run my Cable TV through the receiver.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Check your speaker wires at the back for whiskers. May be some wiring got moved in the change over? The BD player will drive the receiver harder than the cable box, as most sources will have higher dynamic range.

You need to find the cause of your receiver going into protection and shutting down fast, as if it keeps happening you won't have it much longer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis