Panasonic UB-9000 won't read 4k discs

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Many still use such gear. Yours is the only report like this I've seen. What were you trying to do?
Simple, connect the Oppo player to my Marantz 7705 AVP, which was connected via eARC to my LG OLED. The sound worked fine, but the picture came out a weird mauve hue, whatever setting you tried to use. There was nothing unusual about the set up at all. In the family room connecting it to the Marantz 8801 AVP and the Panny plasma it worked perfectly.

So the HDMI out of the Oppo was not compatible with the newer equipment. So I left it in the family room where it remains. So that player seems only compatible with units of comparable vintage.

It was not the AVP or TV. A Panasonic player of similar vintage to the Oppo worked perfectly with no change in the settings. So I know for certain that the OPPO cold not pass video correctly to the Marantz 7705.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Many still use such gear. Yours is the only report like this I've seen. What were you trying to do?
I’ve an Oppo BDP-93EU that won’t play any sound if my LG TV has enabled HDMI deep color, even when my TV is off. Annoying.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve an Oppo BDP-93EU that won’t play any sound if my LG TV has enabled HDMI deep color, even when my TV is off. Annoying.
Still, it can function with the proper setup?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it does, but have to go to the LG menu to turn off. It became an issue when I bought an Apple TV that needs HDMI deep color for HDR.
I imagine 15 years ago it might have been hard to anticipate all things hdmi in the future....let alone how it is implemented in the future. HDMI itself is somewhat broken of course.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve owned many CD players, DVD players and changers, BD players, $2K and $3K Denon Universal players. Even Many $1500 Pioneer LaserDisc players and one $800 Toshiba HD-DVD Player. None of them have died on me.

And then I got a $200 Sony 4K UHD player that died after 2 years. Also two $1K Sony TVs that died after 6 years. And I’ve never had any TV die on me in my life. So either it’s just bad luck or they don’t make them like they used to.

So it makes me want to spend less on these things so that I can use the rest of the money on replacing them in a few years. :D

As for media players, these days I mainly use my HTPC (that I built) anyway.
I have never had a Sony TV die on me, that includes CRTs. I end up giving my older models away when I upgrade, they just would never die lol.

I just sold my BDP S2000ES (2010) non 4k Bluray player I had sitting in storage for $150 (granted I paid prob 1k new) that thing was a tank, solid build, but slow as hell. 13 years old but still has 5.1 Pre-outs and cool sliding glass front door.

Hence why all my TVs are Sony. I gambled with a Marantz 3D bluray player once, and never again.

I am in the camp that leaves my devices connected to the internet for firmware updates.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All my TVs, AVR/AVP, Media Players are connected to the internet at all times via wire.
I'm more of the mindset of only allowing internet access for devices if needed, and mostly it's just my local network access. Then I use wireless mostly anyways :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm more of the mindset of only allowing internet access for devices if needed, and mostly it's just my local network access. Then I use wireless mostly anyways :)
I am OCD with the wired internet for all devices. Heck even my projector is connected to the internet by wire. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis