Panasonic dmp-ub9000

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I just purchased this player over 3 weeks ago and all I could say is I'm amazed. I have had previous players in the past Panasonic and LG hooked up to my oled and within 3 movies 1 of the disks would always freeze for unknown reasons and the disks were usually brand new out of the boxes sealed, And I would have to take the disk out unplug the player put the disk back in and skip over the part it froze to watch the rest of the movie. But that's a whole other story which I don't know if there's a problem with the TV or HDMI cable but this player does not freeze but it still does show some artifacts but at least I don't have to go through the lengthy process of taking the disk out on plugin a player and skipping over that part of the movie. One thing I don't get about this players why all the hate it's receiving on the balanced outputs in terms of sound quality. People say it's Tinny sounding but if you actually go into the settings and find the audio filter and set it to slow the sound does have a more natural sound than the stock setting. And just the build quality and the finish and the way the player actually looks more professional just adds to the value of this player yeah I guess people are saying it's no oppo Which I will never get the experience of owning because I don't feel like paying over 2 grand for a used player, But then again I don't own any SACDS or DVD audios any ways to justify it. I'm just wondering why gnome people are really talking about this player on forms just that it was probly not gonna get released in the US but now that is released don't see any forms, So I figured maybe I'll start one.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subjective reviews I wouldn't get too worried about....or does it sound "tinny" to you, too?. Looks to be a very nice player. Curious, why did you get it rather than the 820?

Your old experience with the crappy playback sounds like a Samsung bluray player I used to have.

I did get the Oppo 203 the day they announced they were cutting production off, it's a nice player and hopefully its value is more long term via its build of quality (altho it is tempting to sell at the crazy prices they fetch) rather than any particular technical aspects. It doesn't sound different than my other bluray players; it might have an edge on upscaling dvd.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I did try the ub820, And the player was just way too loud I could hear the disk spinning on quiet parts during movies because the player is only 8 feet away from where I sit, It just ruined the whole movie viewing experience for me and the ub820 still cause the issue for me were it would just freeze in the middle of the movie,and the XLR inputs are a nice touch because I do have XLR inputs on my yamaha ht preamp. I mean I've tried severely scratched up disks in the UB 9000 and it read it no problem So I think that disk drive In the 9000 is steps above And the ub 820 just looked cheap The LG player which was 200 at the time actually looked a better build quality than the UB820. I just hate the way manufacturers are making expensive products which the UB820 is a $600 player Look so cheap by using plastic and smoked plastic as the cover, And the remote on the 820 sucked. Everything else I have is that nice expensive looking metal my tape back the preempt the amps and even the power center and then you have this cheap looking Blu-Ray player did not fit in it at all. But the final nail was the disk drive being loud and still having the freezing issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A loud drive can be annoying, that Samsung I mentioned would do that fairly frequently, too. Oppo's not quite as silent as I'd hoped OTOH.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Yeah this you hear when the disk is 1st spinning up and then after that total silence.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis