Panasonic 1080p Plasmas Ship July

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Panasonic has already announced its new 1080p plasma display, however it now is official that they will release the first model, the 42-inch 1080p TH-42PZ700U in early July. The sets will sell at a $2,499 suggested retail price. The 42-inch 1080p model is part of the company’s 700 Series line, which also includes 50-, 58-, 65-inch and the oft-seen-at-conventions-but-never-in-homes 103-inch models.

Discuss "Panasonic 1080p Plasmas Ship July" here. Read the article.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
It doesn't make much sense to buy a 42" 1080p panasonic for $2500, when you can get pioneer 50" 720p (5080) for the same money. Everything I've read about the new 5080s show that they kick panasonic's tail in color quality, black level, scaling, etc.

I understand that there are some who would pay a premium for a 1080p plasma... but a $2500 MSRP it just does not make any sense.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
When you live in a small apartment and sit only about 8 feet from the TV.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
It doesn't make much sense to buy a 42" 1080p panasonic for $2500, when you can get pioneer 50" 720p (5080) for the same money. Everything I've read about the new 5080s show that they kick panasonic's tail in color quality, black level, scaling, etc.

I understand that there are some who would pay a premium for a 1080p plasma... but a $2500 MSRP it just does not make any sense.
MSRP from Panasonic means little. Their equipment is widely and deeply discounted.

It seems to me that the 1080p only makes investment sense in the larger sizes, though. 720p/1080i is pretty terrific at any distance on a 42" set.

And one final off-topic (sorry) thing...how in the world did 42" become the industry standard for mid-sized plasma/lcd/rear proj. lcd/etc. screen size? :confused: Why not 44"? Or 41"? Or 40"!? Or...?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
nd one final off-topic (sorry) thing...how in the world did 42" become the industry standard for mid-sized plasma/lcd/rear proj. lcd/etc. screen size? :confused: Why not 44"? Or 41"? Or 40"!? Or...?
I think 42 inches was chosen because the average living room was probably found to have a couch around 10 feet or so back which puts it at just the right viewing distance. Also, they are larger than the average CRT so it gives that extra wow factor when you get one.

The alternative is that it was some random decision by the panel distribution companies that stuck.

Just a couple guesses but I couldn't really find much about it online.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
We just received five TH-50PZ700U sets at the store where I work. I have already installed one in a home and hung one on the wall in the store for display. Haven't they already been released? :confused:

Anyway, they are beautifully designed sets and picture quality is excellent from what I have seen.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I think the available panel sizes may have something to do with the size of the glass substrate they use and the most effective yield; ie the maximum number of panels with minimal waste (unuseable small pieces) given the size of the glass from which they were cut.

50" seems to be the magic number that most people consider 'big screen' but why do flat panel LCDs only come in 46"/47" and 52" when plasma, dlp, and lcd rear projection hit the magic number of 50" even?

This is a real dilemma for me. Due to my wall size constraints I'm having the wall unit built to perfectly hold the 46" LCD with a little bit of breathing room. I'd have to pull the 52" out a few inches from the hutch for it to work but just about any 50" will fit (except Sony of course who still hasn't seen the memo that consumers don't want speakers on the sides of the TV).

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
We just received five TH-50PZ700U sets at the store where I work. I have already installed one in a home and hung one on the wall in the store for display. Haven't they already been released? :confused:

Anyway, they are beautifully designed sets and picture quality is excellent from what I have seen.
They've been out for a couple of weeks, at least.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I think 42 inches was chosen because the average living room was probably found to have a couch around 10 feet or so back which puts it at just the right viewing distance.
Just about every recommendation I've ever seen for viewing distance would put a 60" display at 10ft.
I view a 55" (720p display) at about 11' and I know I could sit a lot closer with the right HD material.
Mixing in a fair amount of SD programming I find it an acceptable compromise.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis