T

Trout

Enthusiast
Anyone ever get overwhelmed when reading reviews of products???? My head is starting to spin as I research amplifiers and receivers for my analog set up. So many opinions....

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Anyone ever get overwhelmed when reading reviews of products???? My head is starting to spin as I research amplifiers and receivers for my analog set up. So many opinions....
Well ya know opinions are a dime a dozen ;)

My advice take them with a grain of salt!
Maybe a pinch but no more then a cup oko_O

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes, some of today's Universal Players have functions and features which require drivers, driver settings and a multitude of click to click operations when connected to a PC to get usb drive, Network, usb B, and HDMI play from the computer's media app; plus, connection to TV to get the Universal Player to play computer based music. It's a daunting task to master the possibilities and an even greater task to try to follow a reviewers thread on the subject. AVRs and Pre-Pros are even more complicated to operate. To listen to iTunes via my OPPO 205 I've actually had to print out the sequence of operations for music to happen, since I can't remember it.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes. Especially amps and receivers. I have done a lot of reading here and have some real world experience with different electronics. I have come to the conclusion that they have the least impact in overall big picture when it comes to sound quality. As long as you buy from a competent manufacturer, it meets your power needs and feature set then you're pretty much golden. Too much time and energy is spent fretting over inaudible measurements and immeasurable perceptions that are likely attributed to placebo.

Speakers are where it's at for sq.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Yes. Especially amps and receivers. I have done a lot of reading here and have some real world experience with different electronics. I have come to the conclusion that they have the least impact in overall big picture when it comes to sound quality. As long as you buy from a competent manufacturer, it meets your power needs and feature set then you're pretty much golden. Too much time and energy is spent fretting over inaudible measurements and immeasurable perceptions that are likely attributed to placebo.

Plus the Room and source material for SQ!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall

My life got a lot easier when I moved away from multi-channel. When we buy another house I'm going to put serious energy into room treatments, but I'm more or less set with electronics.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why rely so much on reviews? Most of them are subjective with really mostly useless information. I tend to get better information thru the forums/audio groups I think. Once you know the basics of the gear, it becomes much more a research thing as to specifics anyways.....

ps I generally prefer to see more measurement oriented reviews these days, often just skip over the subjective/music listening parts as irrelevant....but altogether it's gathering a general sense of information in a variety of ways, reviews can be one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis