Overnight Sensation speaker needed build mod.

S

SailCS33

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I just purchased the kit and really looking forward to building it. I do have few questions though:

In my setup I will need to put them on the wall. I need to modify the box to relocate the port. I realize that by doing so I will be messing with the sound. So to minimize the impact would it be better to move it to the front or bottom or maybe even the side (away from the center)??

Second question is this. In all the pictures I have seen, I do not see people using speaker filler. Is that because there is no big benefit to doing so or some other reason?

Third question, they are marketed as "near field, monitor". Yes, I've read things to know what that means but in my case i dont intend to sit in front of them. The room is VERY small. The only thing I can say is I wont be able to sit in the exact cross axis. Does it mean I should not have bought these?? or are they still good if I am not looking dead square at them?

Thanks a lot to everyone.

VV

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi guys, I just purchased the kit and really looking forward to building it. I do have few questions though:

In my setup I will need to put them on the wall. I need to modify the box to relocate the port. I realize that by doing so I will be messing with the sound. So to minimize the impact would it be better to move it to the front or bottom or maybe even the side (away from the center)??

Second question is this. In all the pictures I have seen, I do not see people using speaker filler. Is that because there is no big benefit to doing so or some other reason?

Third question, they are marketed as "near field, monitor". Yes, I've read things to know what that means but in my case i dont intend to sit in front of them. The room is VERY small. The only thing I can say is I wont be able to sit in the exact cross axis. Does it mean I should not have bought these?? or are they still good if I am not looking dead square at them?

Thanks a lot to everyone.

VV
Location of the port is absolutely arbitrary, and will not change the sound. It may be difficult to move the port to the front due to limited real estate on the baffle. Did you get the kit with the flat-pack? Or, building the cabs yourself? If you have the flat pack, how do you plan to move the port and seal up the original port location? The port tube will stick into the cabinet, I can't remember but it seems like it was about 6-8 inches into the cab.

I put a bit of poly-fill that I had on-hand when I did my build. Dunno why most people don't seem to do that. But, likely the more important consideration is a bit of absorption material on the cab wall directly behind the woofer. Again, I just had some leftovers on-hand for that.

You will likely be fine if you can't be in the ideal cross-axis location. Furthermore, ANY speaker you use will have the exact same limitation, so just make the best of it as best you can.

I had my OSs in the garage for a while, where I would be moving around a lot as I work etc, they were fine. I have at least temporarily swapped them out for a set of Classix II.

something for you to consider is to buy the XO PCBs from ebay

S

SailCS33

Audiophyte
Thank you for the reply. My kit is from parts-express and is a birch flatpack. Since I am very comfortable with cabinet/wood working, I was planning on making a new hole for the port and making a new replacement back.

Thanks again for your reply.

p.s. Nice PCB. I'll take a look.

S

SailCS33

Audiophyte
Well ...i may have messed something up. I assembled the kit and sound is pretty bad. Very muddy. I can hear the twitter and woofer working but quality is terrible.
Don't know if the components are cheap and low quality or i messed up somewhere ☹. This is my first speaker build. It's entirely possible i didn't do something right but i have no idea how to troubleshoot.

S

SailCS33

Audiophyte
By swapping components i narrowed it down to the crossover on one speaker. Not sure how to fix it but sound is so much clearer connected directly to the input

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
By swapping components i narrowed it down to the crossover on one speaker. Not sure how to fix it but sound is so much clearer connected directly to the input
If you look at the web site selling the PCB for the crossover, look at the 3rd photo showing the orientation of parts, and in particular how the coils are oriented. Placement of coils matters in crossovers. If you hand wired them, double check the wiring to the schematic and make sure the speakers are connected to the correct terminals. Do not drive the tweeter without the crossover as you could do permanent damage.

S

SailCS33

Audiophyte
Thank you. Yes i have checked and believe resistors and coils do not have direction or polarity. Capacitors do if i recall... I'll check those closely tomorrow.

S

SailCS33

Audiophyte
Ps. Just googled it...turns out Polypropylene Capacitors do not have polarity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis