Overly bright speakers ??

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What makes one speaker treble heavy. ???
Klipch icon are super bright , I have a Sony center I’m considering using a different model.
What’ are other treble heavy brands ? To avoid list your opinions.
I like the Klipch icons not sure if it’s the speakers causing my ear pain or tinnitus movie ”ear damage .
F19E6E8E-AED9-4181-8B5D-588233194991.jpeg

I considered testing out this low end Sony to see if it’s easier on my ears ...
8AE61A1C-FD68-4553-B291-11C7AB7D2843.jpeg
59B00A15-79B6-46DA-B9F8-0103116BE21B.jpeg
228BDDB7-ECF0-43C5-BB62-A62CE19E6E24.jpeg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There are a few things that can make a speaker bright. If the tweeter is simply producing more output than the woofer, it is going to be bright. If the woofer has a lot of ringing from being insufficiently low-pass filtered, it will be bright. If some component is running into heavy harmonic distortion at moderate listening levels, it will be bright. Those Klipsch and Sony speakers are not very good ones, so it's no wonder that they sound harsh. You should through away all your cheap audio junkie and just get a single modest system that is well-engineered and sounds good.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There are a few things that can make a speaker bright. If the tweeter is simply producing more output than the woofer, it is going to be bright. If the woofer has a lot of ringing from being insufficiently low-pass filtered, it will be bright. If some component is running into heavy harmonic distortion at moderate listening levels, it will be bright. Those Klipsch and Sony speakers are not very good ones, so it's no wonder that they sound harsh. You should through away all your cheap audio junkie and just get a single modest system that is well-engineered and sounds good.
I’d imagine the Klipch icon center is more too Blaim , I wanted a infinity ♾️ 263 but my mom hates my speakers so I figured she wouldn’t let me buy the infinity line 3 ways are better then anything I have .
I had the money and still do but haven’t been able to spend any, they are holding it for now , thanks to a mental breakdown earlier this year
ears ...

Earlier Klipch reference are identical to mine.
Klipsch R-25C Center Channel Speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMFYRIS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_QYNZZ2NSVV3FCJAESDN2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Got ripped off by bestbuy credit card I let a friend use costed me extra $300 cuz he refused to pay his fair share ...
Can’t just toss out Klipch icons , and don’t want to sell either.
I could had gotten significantly better speakers for price I paid over $1500+ for a 7 ch Klipch system .
85276FAE-39FF-48D9-AADA-45B2D7859121.jpeg
A229DC97-C092-4AE8-86CF-6E0EFBEF0AD6.jpeg

Are vintage rtr ex9 or pioneers fs52 any better. ??

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Maybe your mom would hate speakers less if you had fewer speakers? Just two good floor standing speakers or bookshelf speakers can be a really good system. Throw the rest out.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I’d imagine the Klipch icon center is more too Blaim , I wanted a infinity ♾️ 263 but my mom hates my speakers so I figured she wouldn’t let me buy the infinity line 3 ways are better then anything I have .
I had the money and still do but haven’t been able to spend any, they are holding it for now , thanks to a mental breakdown earlier this year
ears ...

Earlier Klipch reference are identical to mine.
Klipsch R-25C Center Channel Speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMFYRIS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_QYNZZ2NSVV3FCJAESDN2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Got ripped off by bestbuy credit card I let a friend use costed me extra $300 cuz he refused to pay his fair share ...
Can’t just toss out Klipch icons , and don’t want to sell either.
I could had gotten significantly better speakers for price I paid over $1500+ for a 7 ch Klipch system .View attachment 46307View attachment 46308
Are vintage rtr ex9 or pioneers fs52 any better. ??
@Kingnoob, Shady J aka James, has reviewed many speakers here on AH. You can take his word to the bank if James says speakers are crap plus on top of that when James says throw them out, he and like other AH members wouldn't want any Person just getting into audio getting ahold of crappy speakers. It's just the right thing to do.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe your mom would hate speakers less if you had fewer speakers? Just two good floor standing speakers or bookshelf speakers can be a really good system. Throw the rest out.
Very simply, and well put.

Noob, get rid of all your junk and garbage. Sell what you can and haul the rest to the recycling center. Your mom will appreciate you cleaning up and if you explain that you only want 1 - one - ONE... good pair of well designed speakers that sound good, I'll bet you she cuts you some slack.

Or keep going down the same path and repeating the same mistakes as the junk piles up around you. I can totally see where your mom is coming from...

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
The Klipsch Icon/synergy series got a pretty positive review years ago on AH.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The Klipsch Icon/synergy series got a pretty positive review years ago on AH.
The center is the weak link , seems like bookshelves and towers sound better without it ...
It is mtm I could try flipping it vertically.
Oddly it’s better vertical

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The center is the weak link , seems like bookshelves and towers sound better without it ...
It is mtm I could try flipping it vertically.
Oddly it’s better vertical
Center is actually pretty decent., the Sony center wasn’t near as clear .

COULD switching surrounds to wides help ?
483459F8-71FE-4950-AF4D-3E84D1F9C357.jpeg
7E3C03E4-DA36-47F0-927E-CDAADE8F66AD.jpeg

I may have to wait til Black Friday for infinity sale.
Reference line are identical to mine , wish I had got larger towers 8” not 6.5”

Last edited:
T

ThatOneNiko

Audiophyte
I have Klipsch Reference R15M & R25C. they don't seem bright. I snagged some Martin Logan Motion2 and 4 Speakers and they're very bright on the mids and highs because of the tweeter design. I think more than the Klipsch References.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I have Klipsch Reference R15M & R25C. they don't seem bright. I snagged some Martin Logan Motion2 and 4 Speakers and they're very bright on the mids and highs because of the tweeter design. I think more than the Klipsch References.
could be me running too many speakers in a tiny room , overloaded trying those bookshelves as surrounds . Should I try 3ch ?? When I run them as wides they don’t do a lot ..less annoying tho..
My left ear hurts regardless which speakers I use., damage from movie theaters or tinnitus

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Noob, how many times are you going to ask us this? We've told you a million times to just try 3 channel and forget your surrounds in the space you're dealing with. Especially since you just have them placed in front of you.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Noob, how many times are you going to ask us this? We've told you a million times to just try 3 channel and forget your surrounds in the space you're dealing with. Especially since you just have them placed in front of you.
Yeah I guess that works much better these speakers spl is too high to try and misplace your surrounds . If they don’t fit on the sides or behind me then forget them .
I just tried it out didn’t know if I was wasting channels , I’d use them for bi amping but it’s pretty useless ...

they sound perfect now , 3.2ch .
Can go longer without worrying about upgrading for a little while , I still wish I could had got that infinity center 263 . It’s not flat tho ,maybe I’ll just order it next sale ... problem is my mom would be like angry . Infinity Reference line nice ?or same quality as my icons .

placement is everything, I guess a 2way center is fine if I’m the only listener.

Last edited:
E

EddieT

Audiophyte
Maybe he could try some valves in the front end like a used Schitt tube preamp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis