ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Just curious as to what one could expect moving from an Outlaw Ultra X12 to a REL T9i Sub. This would be for an Audio only system. I am moving my Outlaw back downstairs into my HT set up. I have been running it with my 2 channel set up for about three months and it sounds great. I am using the speaker inputs from my Yamaha. The blending has been great with my Canton towers. I almost want to just get another Outlaw, but this thing is big and heavy. My music room isn't that large either. I keep reading that the REL is the way to go with an Audio only set up.
Any thoughts and what could be expected?

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Just curious as to what one could expect moving from an Outlaw Ultra X12 to a REL T9i Sub. This would be for an Audio only system. I am moving my Outlaw back downstairs into my HT set up. I have been running it with my 2 channel set up for about three months and it sounds great. I am using the speaker inputs from my Yamaha. The blending has been great with my Canton towers. I almost want to just get another Outlaw, but this thing is big and heavy. My music room isn't that large either. I keep reading that the REL is the way to go with an Audio only set up.
Any thoughts and what could be expected?
Hey E, how ya doing brother?
Anyways, I don't own or have I ever owned a Rel sub. However those subs seemed to be very highly regarded as outstanding for music. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The people who promote Rel tend to have a lot of nonsense audiophile baggage in my various readings and the time I experienced a Rel I was definitely not impressed. They tend to be quite expensive for the performance from what I see. It's a different design, less flexible, smaller...so maybe in a relatively small room it could do as well. At $1300 list I think they're definitely overpriced, if you got it down into a more reasonable territory with a large discount, maybe. IMO.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Hey E, how ya doing brother?
Anyways, I don't own or have I ever owned a Rel sub. However those subs seemed to be very highly regarded as outstanding for music. I don't think you could go wrong with it.
I am good man... As for the comment below. I also feel that the REL is a bit on the high side considering what I got the Outlaw for. One thing however. I am looking for a smaller sub to put into my 2 channel set up. SVS with their offerings are also hard to look away. To be honest, I love the phone option adjustments on it.
Subs for me are not an exciting product to buy. I guess it's because all I I want it to do is blend well, not be too boomy and have enough headroom if I need it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Rel HT line doesn't look bad. That is the only one I would consider from Rel. The reason why audiophiles gravitate toward Rel is their emphasis on speaker level connection. They think it is somehow better since, in some subs, it doesn't go through an ADC jump. That is just not a good idea in the face of using a line level connection with bass management. SVS is certainly a solid brand, but are you forced to use speaker level inputs? If so, I don't think SVS has any subs that can handle that. The subs from Hsu do have speaker level inputs. A ULS-15 mk2 would be easier to handle physically than the Outlaw sub. Most of the subs from MartinLogan and Paradigm have speaker level inputs.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I prefer the speaker level input from my Yamaha AS1100. To me it’s been the best sounding and blending that I have achieved. The out law is easy with speaker level in and out. I just run it in between and set the sub around 60. With the Big Canton towers it’s perfect. But. The sub is huge. It doesn’t really fit well into the space I have, and I need to get it back in my TV set up.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The ULS15 is a smaller than the X12. Or are you needing even smaller?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The Rel HT line doesn't look bad. That is the only one I would consider from Rel. The reason why audiophiles gravitate toward Rel is their emphasis on speaker level connection. They think it is somehow better since, in some subs, it doesn't go through an ADC jump. That is just not a good idea in the face of using a line level connection with bass management. SVS is certainly a solid brand, but are you forced to use speaker level inputs? If so, I don't think SVS has any subs that can handle that. The subs from Hsu do have speaker level inputs. A ULS-15 mk2 would be easier to handle physically than the Outlaw sub. Most of the subs from MartinLogan and Paradigm have speaker level inputs.
The whole point of using speaker input is to NOT use and bass management. Just let it get a full signal and use the right cut off point on the sub. I have managed to get my best sound this way. I think REL is on to something here and that's why I am looking into it. Audio only. Now on my HT set up, it's all bass management.
It's really hard to find a sub with the connections that the X12 Out law has with speaker level input and output. I have looked around and can't find it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The whole point of using speaker input is to NOT use and bass management. Just let it get a full signal and use the right cut off point on the sub. I have managed to get my best sound this way. I think REL is on to something here and that's why I am looking into it. Audio only. Now on my HT set up, it's all bass management.
It's really hard to find a sub with the connections that the X12 Out law has with speaker level input and output. I have looked around and can't find it.
That definitely wouldn't be the route I'd go. After setting up so many systems, including full range speakers, I'd never live wo full bass management. Glad it's working well for ya!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis