Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 Subwoofer Preview

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
rug = dog piss unfortunately :( .... something i could never stop my dog(s) from doing for some reason (i adopted 2 older dogs)...... one day i'll add an area rug though :)... btw it's not real marble :p Also i usually push the table forward 1-2 feet during movies. my next step for this room is to buy a drop down fireplace tv mount.

i'm slowly putting together a plan to build a home theater in my basement (2-3 years ) i have the perfect room 3 out of the 4 walls are solid concrete (i'm going to give the room the full acoustic treatment / sound proofing, walls, ceiling, floor, door etc) . 15x20 size room

and of course... a second sub :p

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FYI i had calibrated prior to acquiring and moving around the furniture. i made manual adjustments to distances. the subwoofer i manually tweaked because i moved it and the couch closer. i'll be doing another calibration tonight.
I was more curious how all those different speakers, assuming some variance in distance, all were at the same level. You know sub "distance" isn't necessarily the physical distance, as it is a delay adjustment and the sub has inherent delay in it's own processing as well? Are you doing a full manual calibration?

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
yes i know about the sub distance = delay calculations, but thanks for posting that it will benefit readers who are newer to the hobby

i'll be doing a full calibration 8 mic positions (MultiEQ XT, with i had XT 32) . The speakers are not all set the same level i was only referring to the sub-woofer when i said 0db (sorry if i didn't' make that clear). I have been a long long time lurker on these forums and forums such as avsforum, avforum etc. Only recently i have joined.

I have a solid knowledge on the basics (placement, sub crawl, auto and manual calibrations, reading measurement charts etc). I'll be attempting to use REW in the near future, now that's something i'll most likely need help with :D

i'll never pretend to know everything, because there's always something new to learn or try, and i'm always open to suggestions.

note: if ever i come across as rude, it was not intentional. Sometimes my French to English translation isn't the best :confused::(

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
yes i know about the sub distance = delay calculations, but thanks for posting that it will benefit readers who are newer to the hobby

i'll be doing a full calibration 8 mic positions (MultiEQ XT, with i had XT 32) . The speakers are not all set the same level i was only referring to the sub-woofer when i said 0db (sorry if i didn't' make that clear). I have been a long long time lurker on these forums and forums such as avsforum, avforum etc. Only recently i have joined.

I have a solid knowledge on the basics (placement, sub crawl, auto and manual calibrations, reading measurement charts etc). I'll be attempting to use REW in the near future, now that's something i'll most likely need help with :D

i'll never pretend to know everything, because there's always something new to learn or try, and i'm always open to suggestions.

note: if ever i come across as rude, it was not intentional. Sometimes my French to English translation isn't the best :confused::(
Ok France says it all :p just kidding fyi. Great to have you as a member from across the pond!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I was more curious about the level settings for the various speakers (and you said speakers at 0, sub -10....). It would be very coincidental for all the different speaker sensitivities (I assume they are different at least) and probable distances to come up with a level of 0 for each....thanks for clearing that up.

Welcome to the forums! Your English is better than many posting here in the US, no worries there. While I have been to Paris, wasn't getting any rude vibes from you ;)

Audyssey can work well enough (and I agree XT32 is nicer, have two XT and one XT32 avr). REW and a measurement mic are good tools, too, particularly for subs with something like a minidsp....bit of a learning curve, though. Have fun!

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Actual, i'm Canadian/French->Acadian (not Quebecois), we have a shared history with the Cajun's from Louisiana i believe?. i live in NB, Canada (right above Maine)

Last edited:
MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
i here some people had good luck using the Denon calibration mic with Rew.
i forgot where i read this, but the member then purchased the recommended mic to use with REW and came to realize the Denon mic was just as accurate. (i can't remember what kind of mic he used, i'm guessing it wasn't some $1000+ mic)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i forgot where i read this, but the member then purchased the recommended mic to use with REW and came to realize the Denon mic was just as accurate. (i can't remember what kind of mic he used, i'm guessing it wasn't some $1000+ mic)
Our member @yepimonfire is doing just that based on something he read (and I think I've run across it elsewhere, too). Just better to get a calibrated measurement mic IMO to take the guesswork out and likely for simply better performance potential (spl, range, etc). Umik from minidsp or Dayton UMM-6 are good usb mics for reasonable prices.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
they seem to be pretty good value considering they come with a case and tripod

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
they seem to be pretty good value considering they come with a case and tripod
The mini tripods aren't as good as something like a mic boom :)

ps sometimes this applies
alicegif.gif

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
For the sub $100 price don't mess around with "I've heard". If your serious about measurements get the proper mic.

And there is no way that any mic that doesn't have a calibration file is better, just not possible or close despite what others may have said.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis