Outlaw Audio RR2160 Stereo Receiver Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It’s been eleven and a half years since Outlaw Audio released its classic two-channel RR2150 Stereo Retro Receiver. Their new RR2160 preserves the analog signal purity of its predecessor, while adding DLNA and high-resolution capabilities via a multitude of digital audio inputs and a new, more powerful 110-watt stereo amplifier. If you're looking for a new two-channel receiver for your Hi-Fi content than this might be the receiver for you. Is it a gem in a sea of mediocre stereo receivers? Read on to find out.

Read: Outlaw Audio RR2160 Stereo Receiver Preview

L. White

L. White

Audiophyte
I'm currently using an Onkyo TX-NR809 which is connected to my PC via two RCA cables from a Creative Labs Soundblaster ZxR dedicated soundcard.

Sound is output to, two Klipsch RB-81 II's and a single Klipsch RW-12D sub.

Both the Onkyo and Outlaw, if not mistaken utilize BB op-amps. I assume that the Outlaw would possibly sound better, regardless of it producing lower-wpc; matters not with my speakers.

I listen primarily to iTunes and some vinyl as note.

With my current soundcard and speaker setup, would the Outlaw RR2160 be an "upgrade" over my Onkyo, or no?

The Onkyo sounds good but I'm looking for "better" without breaking the bank.

Thanks for any insight/advice!

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I believe you can get Emotiva separates for less than what the 2160 sells for. Harman/Kardon used to make some well-price, great performing stereo units, but don't think they do so anymore.

D

dpl46

Enthusiast
I recently purchased the RR-2160 and love it. I've owned lots of audio gear over the years including Emotiva amps & preamps. And I prefer this Outlaw receiver to the Emo gear. To me it sounds a bit more musical and not as analytical as the Emo amps. And maybe its a function of gettng older, but I really like the simplicity of a receiver. Just one unit that does it all, and this one does it all very well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't find the Emo amps to be analytical sounding, but I did always like the "analog" sound of the Outlaw gear like the older 1050 AVR.

brettski

brettski

Audiophyte
Would love to see a more detailed breakdown for the performance of this model as was done for its predecessor, the RR2150, or its competitor the A-S801. Any chance there will be a 'full review' for the RR2160 in the near future?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
It’s been eleven and a half years since Outlaw Audio released its classic two-channel RR2150 Stereo Retro Receiver. Their new RR2160 preserves the analog signal purity of its predecessor, while adding DLNA and high-resolution capabilities via a multitude of digital audio inputs and a new, more powerful 110-watt stereo amplifier. If you're looking for a new two-channel receiver for your Hi-Fi content than this might be the receiver for you. Is it a gem in a sea of mediocre stereo receivers? Read on to find out.

Read: Outlaw Audio RR2160 Stereo Receiver Preview
Thanks Gene if I wasn't pretty happy with my HK3490 (which you reviewed a few years ago) this would be the 2 channel receiver that I would be interested in purchasing.

brettski

brettski

Audiophyte
Thanks Gene if I wasn't pretty happy with my HK3490 (which you reviewed a few years ago) this would be the 2 channel receiver that I would be interested in purchasing.
I'm currently rocking a HK3490 myself but it is starting to act up (A/B channel relays going bad). Trying to decide between a repair or a replacement. The RR2160 and the A-S801 are both at the top of my list. Great review here for the A-S801 but no detailed analysis on the RR2160 yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis