Outdoor speakers recommendations

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I'm looking at the Definitive technology AW6500. I currently have a Definitive technology W Studio soundbar and really like the sound which is why I was leaning towards the AW6500. When I went to check them out the shop owner said he has a pair of Revel M80xc speakers open box that he would discount. I didn't get a chance to audition either of them. I'm heading back tomorrow to do that. My concern other than price, is that the Revel low response only goes down to 60hz whereas the def techs are rated to 40hz. These are for a patio and I'm kinda a bass head but I'm not ready for an outdoor sub anytime soon. Do any of you have personal experience with either speaker? The Revel has an 8" woofer and the def tech has a 6 5 with a passive radiator. Looking for clean sound but with some impact. Any input is greatly appreciated.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Def tech's low end frequency response ratings are optimistic to say the least. I'd be willing to bet that the Revel has more usable midbass than the Deftech does. I can't say you should expect much physical impact from either in an outdoor space though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I wouldn't go by DT low end specs, notoriously "optimistic", so without a third party test I'd just discount it a lot, probably consider it an f10 at best. Goes for their "subs" as well as speakers. I was just sitting outside on my deck and liking how my Dayton IO650s have worked out the last what 6 years now out there? Still enjoy them a lot, and if I want to bring up the low end I have a sub on a wireless transmitter I can add out there when the weather is good enough :)

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
Yeah I wouldn't go by DT low end specs, notoriously "optimistic", so without a third party test I'd just discount it a lot, probably consider it an f10 at best. Goes for their "subs" as well as speakers. I was just sitting outside on my deck and liking how my Dayton IO650s have worked out the last what 6 years now out there? Still enjoy them a lot, and if I want to bring up the low end I have a sub on a wireless transmitter I can add out there when the weather is good enough :)

What wireless transmitter do you use? That may be something I would do!

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I just auditioned both speakers and before I even heard the Revels, the def techs sounded muddy and the sound was focused directly in front of it. If I moved to the sides at all, the sound lost all of its brightness and impact. Then I listened to the Revels and I was blown away!! I know they are in a different league but I didn't expect them to sound that good! Smooth highs and accurate/tight lows. The sound traveled and covered a wide area without dropping off. Needless to say I got the Revels. Thanks for your input!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What wireless transmitter do you use? That may be something I would do!
The one that came with it (an older Infinity sub), the receiver is built into the sub itself. A long time ago I believe they sold a stand alone kit but long gone now. There's still a few out there, maybe look into SVS' Soundpath Wireless Kit?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis