Outdoor Speaker Position

G

gtche

Audioholic Intern
I have purchased a pair of Sonance Mariner 8s for my patio. I plan on installing them about 10ft high. Would it be ok to mount them horizontally so that I can angle them toward the listening area, or should I fabricate a wedge out of wood so that they can be vertical and still pointed at the listening position. I know vertical is best because of lobing issues but I was not sure if this was as critical being an outdoor setup. The listening area is from 5 to 20 feet. Horizontal will have the higher WAF and be easier.

If I do mount them horizontally should it be woofer tweeter, tweeter woofer (if that makes sense) with the woofers in the corners of the patio roof.

Thanks for the help.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Horizontal will work fine, mine do, for reasons similar to what you cited. Horizontal also allowed better Wx protection by the house's eves.
- I went with woofers to the outside and tweeters to the middle pointed as best I could towards the listening area.
- Having outdoor sound on front porch and backyard deck just plain rocks (sad pun intended)
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis