Outdoor speaker help

M

mx416

Audioholic
Hi folks.
With all the help this forum has given me so far I thought I would come back for some more help.
I am currently working on my new backyard and I am about a month from finishing. I have wires already installed for a pair of speakers to be placed in the to be installed patio cover.

I am debating two options.

option #1

stick with a “normal” outdoor setup and buy a pair of outdoor speakers. Something like the Boston acoustic 70/Klipsch AW-650/ ect.

option #2

this is a little more interesting. I’m wondering if the gain would be worth while to run some medium rage outdoor speakers >$250 and add a HEOS amp. Then using the HEOS amp to power the speakers plus use the “sub out” to run a SVS link to a outdoor sub($300-$500)

I guess my real question is...do I run a simple outdoor setup or do I take it up a notch with a sub.

P.S. currently power would be a Denon 4300h zone 2

thanks for all the help.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Are you planning on keeping the Amp outside? How would you weatherproof it?

i can’t speak to the sub, but from my experience you’d def be better off with the better Outdoor speakers

M

mx416

Audioholic
HEOS style Amp would be placed inside. Running off zone 2 RCA out of Denon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's more about how you want to allocate amps on the avr or assign them externally...Heos may have certain advantages in some cases, tho not sure if yours is one.

M

mx416

Audioholic
I’m definitely not sold on the HEOS amp at $500.

however the HEOS amp just makes setup easy.
Zone 2 rca to heos. Easy speaker connection. Then add a Bluetooth link to the sub out. Then a outdoor plate amp/sub combo underneath the awning

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn’t us a sub unless you are a LONG way away from any neighbors.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks.
With all the help this forum has given me so far I thought I would come back for some more help.
I am currently working on my new backyard and I am about a month from finishing. I have wires already installed for a pair of speakers to be placed in the to be installed patio cover.

I am debating two options.

option #1

stick with a “normal” outdoor setup and buy a pair of outdoor speakers. Something like the Boston acoustic 70/Klipsch AW-650/ ect.

option #2

this is a little more interesting. I’m wondering if the gain would be worth while to run some medium rage outdoor speakers >$250 and add a HEOS amp. Then using the HEOS amp to power the speakers plus use the “sub out” to run a SVS link to a outdoor sub($300-$500)

I guess my real question is...do I run a simple outdoor setup or do I take it up a notch with a sub.

P.S. currently power would be a Denon 4300h zone 2

thanks for all the help.
I would use a HEOS Link and separate amplification- the power from the HEOS AMP may not be enough and for only a small difference in price, you can buy a separate amp.

Aim the speakers toward the house and you won't need high SPL- aiming them away from the building is a waste unless you're trying to cover a large yard from a small number of speaker locations and that results in some people being blasted while others can barely hear it. It also prevents annoying the neighbors.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Will an outdoor sub really add that much over and decent pair of speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will an outdoor sub really add that much over and decent pair of speakers?
IME when I take my sub out on the deck, not a lot, but would depend where you can put it for boundary reinforcement and how close to your seats, that sort of thing.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Yes, in my experience, outdoor subs do make a difference.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Decided I better keep it simple and just go with a pair of speakers for outdoors. Now just got to decide

klipsch aw-650
polk atrium 6
jbl 29av-1

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis