Out of these 3 subs......

D

Dsav101

Audioholic Intern
Hello gents and ladies! I am planning my first larger purchase and it happens to be a subwoofer. I am looking at 3 different models from 3 different companies. I am curious as to any positives and negatives for all three. On each of their sites I can certainly find the good, but I am looking for all info to make the best decision. I am in an apt., so it will not be utilized as much this year until I buy another house hopefully next year. I am currently running a Yamaha RXV-465, for fronts I am using TSC TST2's, an older Mirage center which actually pairs pretty well (IMHO) with the TSTs, surrounds are TSC Tsat2000's, and right now using a 10" sony 100 watt sub..... I listen to all types of music but I do love some serious rap now and again. I have a ps3 and Direct tv HD DVR as well. I do love movies and want to make sure whatever sub I choose is a great balance between games, movies, and music. :) Thanks in advance for any info, thoughts, etc etc.

Don

Edit: Forgot to actually list the subs I am looking at!!! hahaha
1. Epik Dynasty sub. 18" 600 watts rms
2. Elemental Designs A7-350 15" 1300 watts rms
3. SVS PB-13 Ultra. 13" 750 watts rms.

They are all around the same price with the SVS being about 300 more than the other two. These all seeem like pretty serious contenders so would that extra 300 even be worth it? Thanks!

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
well the only negative of the SVS is its Size and weight!!! If you are in an apartment you are going to scare the crap out of everyone when watching movies!

D

Dsav101

Audioholic Intern
Funny part is the SVS is 155, the Epik is 150, and the ED is 215!!! I am just kinda looking for all things put together, sound, excursion, depth, customer service, kinda all rolled up to make the right decision. And the BEST part is I am on the second floor of a house!! lol. Going through a divorce so had to sell the house and get an apt. for the time being.

Don

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
As an owner of several SVS subs, including the PB13-Ultra, I would give them very high marks for all the criteria you specified. The Ultra is an attractive (to me at least), well made sub with excellent sound quality and output. SVS's service is pretty well known to be exemplary before, during and after the sale, the warranty is transferable (IDK about eD, Epik is to the original owner only) which may help with resale if that is a consideration, and the products are well packaged to survive shipping.

I can't contribute more than that as I do not have first hand experience with the other two subs, but I have had email discussions with the principals at both Epik and eD and have been impressed by their knowledge and enthusiasm.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Something else to consider on that budget is getting two subs. Two A7s-450s shipped comes to $1600, and might give you the best performance in terms of sound quality and output for your money. There are a lot of advantages to having two subs over one. It goes a lot further in killing bass nulls for starters, which is great especially if you have a large room. It also helps to smooth out the frequency response overall. You can also get two A5-350s for $1400 shipped. That would be a massive sub setup, and I think it would have more output than the single sub solutions you mentioned. On either sub you get a nice discount if you buy two or more. You could also get two Epik Sentinels for $1200 while it is on sale right now, when ordinarily it would cost $1600! 25% off, not bad! Personally I think you will get a lot more for your money if you go with two subs rather than one.

D

Dsav101

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies so far! I had not even though t of going the multiple sub route. Darn, now more to think about!! Thanks and keep em coming!

Don

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Something else to consider on that budget is getting two subs. Two A7s-450s shipped comes to $1600, and might give you the best performance in terms of sound quality and output for your money. There are a lot of advantages to having two subs over one. It goes a lot further in killing bass nulls for starters, which is great especially if you have a large room. It also helps to smooth out the frequency response overall. You can also get two A5-350s for $1400 shipped. That would be a massive sub setup, and I think it would have more output than the single sub solutions you mentioned. On either sub you get a nice discount if you buy two or more. You could also get two Epik Sentinels for $1200 while it is on sale right now, when ordinarily it would cost $1600! 25% off, not bad! Personally I think you will get a lot more for your money if you go with two subs rather than one.
This is certainly worth considering. Otherwise, the SVS would be my pick.

S

smihalik

Audioholic
My nod goes to the 13Ultra.

A sub of that caliber is going to be frustrating in an apartment though. You'll be lucky if you can use 10% of its potential. I'd probably wait until I was actually in the house to make that kind of purchase. A year or so from now, who knows whats going to be on the market.

I'm in a detached house and I still have to consider not only my neighbors, but my neighbors neighbors. Bass travelllllls.

D

Dsav101

Audioholic Intern
Seems like most have said the SVS. I am curious if others have tried any of the others and their issues comparatively with the SVS. Going by a power and surface area, the ED would be the so called loudest. if I am thinking right. What about SVS makes it a better choice? Thanks again for all the input!

Don

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Sound quality, performance, reputation, customer service, fit and finish, resale value, etc...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The ED or the Epik might actually have more output than the PB13. But the PB13 is a more refined, intricate design, which has been through more generations of improvement. It is also easier on the eyes than the big black boxes ED and Epik sells.

Another thing I should mention about getting two subs over one is that it's physically easier to manage. Trying to move around a 150 lbs sub is a real chore, but a 90 lbs one is much easier. This is especially true if you have to movie it up or down a flight of stairs. I think it makes placement easier too. You don't have to do bass crawling or placement experimentation too much, because the bass is going to sound more even all over the room regardless of the place, at least in comparison with a one sub solution. There will still be optimal places for a two sub setup, but it isn't as critical as opposed to having just one sub, at least in my experience.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I vote going the dual sub approach. I went that route and I am extremely happy with the sub placement flexibility it gives and the better balanced response in the room.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Seems like most have said the SVS. I am curious if others have tried any of the others and their issues comparatively with the SVS. Going by a power and surface area, the ED would be the so called loudest. if I am thinking right. What about SVS makes it a better choice? Thanks again for all the input!

Don
One thing you might try is to email all 3 with a question. See how long you have to wait and how thoughtful the response is. My money is on SVS!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis