OTA TV receiver box

Markuendo

Markuendo

Audiophyte
Seriously considering getting rid of all cable satellite and going to an over-the-air antenna that seems to function pretty well in my area.

Trying to decide the best way to get audio to my receiver and HDMI to my projector. Projector is nothing high-end but it's decent for now for what we do at 720p, most likely next upgrade will be 1080 that's probably it.

Audio into the receiver can be pretty much anything (Onkyo TX-NR787) but I think I'd prefer digital if possible if that gives me any added sound benefits.

Only other thing I can think looking forward is if I purchase a DVR box of some sort to record shows and so on. Maybe most of those have digital converters already built in so I could look that way too.

Is any $30 box off of Amazon okay for now?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Have you considered a TiVo OTA model? There are used models with lifetime service attached available online. New models with lifetime service are not cheap. Type in OTA DVR on Amazon's site and many options will pop up.

Markuendo

Markuendo

Audiophyte
Nice tip, I'll certainly take a look. Never knew there were built in DVRs in so many of these basic units.

I'd like to minimally have a digital out in addition to the HDMI. Apparently to get zone 2 to produce the same content from a source, this is needed for my receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The TiVo models have optical outputs that will pass DD 5.1 from OTA channels that broadcast with it. How is your system set up exactly? What is included in Zone 2?

Markuendo

Markuendo

Audiophyte
We have a home theater set up downstairs that takes care of everything in that general area. Then we have a table that's kind of off to the side where we have dinner, play cards and whatnot.

I'd like to set up a couple of speakers in zone 2 to play the same audio so it's easier to hear it over there without cranking up the home theater and blasting out people right in front of it.

All of this is more or less in the same room so not really a separate zone, just need extra audio over there.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I see. Will music be coming from an external device or Onkyo apps? What is your current speaker configuration?

Markuendo

Markuendo

Audiophyte
Most everything is sourced externally. Fire stick, satellite box, Xbox etc.

What I've learned is I do not believe that the receiver can source from HDMI over to zone 2 at the same time the main theater is playing the same audio. Didn't have any problem doing that with the satellite box and I think that's because I have an optical cable input on the receiver for that.

The main theater is simply 5.1 and then like I said off to the side and extra table and I just kind of need some audio over there so they can hear easier. If that's what you were asking.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Got it. A new device replacing the sat box and connecting to the Onkyo the same way will do the trick when you add a couple of speakers to Zone 2.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis