Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
If the TV is the source of the video and the audio is output on the AVR, you will not be able to overlay the AVR settings or volume.:( The way around this would be to use an external stick like a Roku, plugged into the AVR, rather than the Tv, with the AVR set to passthru, for when it is in standby. That way you will see the Tv OSD when the AVR is in standy and the AVR OSD when it is not. :)

Video is unidirectional on HDMI and the audio is only bi-directional on the ARC port(s) An AVR cannot reprocess a video signal and add in an overlay, when video is already on the display being used. You could as BMXTRIX suggests control both with one remote, however it will not change how the OSDs work.

As a last point, although in principle the TV could perform the OSD overlay function, it currently does not and AFIAK no standard exists for that support between AVR and Tv manufacturers to do this. If it has a function like Screen Share you could possibly view both sources simultaneously.:)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yup... gotta agree. Just tested it out with Netflix over the TV App. No OSD for volume changes. on the AVR.

It will if you use ARC, but has been well documented, ARC isn't all it should or could be.

Damn, I forgot how fun Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is. :p

D

diwit

Audioholic Intern
HDMI control, aka CEC is the feature that runs over HDMI ARC or any HDMI port, to control volume on the AVR thru the TV remote or the Blu-ray menu and play functions thru the TV remote or AVR remote. You might need to verify with TV models on AVS Forum with your receiver model. I am not familiar with TCL but you may need to google it.

I don’t recall what version of HDMI first had CEC but most 2015 or newer gear should possibly have it. Samsung calls it, Anynet+. Sony calls it, Bravia Sync.

The catch is, the HDMI CEC can also automatically power on other devices and that can be annoying to some. For me I had to get used to it with my Yamaha AVR. So I need to expect that powering off my tv, also powers off my AVR to standby. I also need to be aware that powering off my AVR, doesn’t power off my TV though and that will give the tv sound thru it’s builtin speakers but the TV can still control the Blu-ray and Apple TV. Also, as soon as I power on my Blu-ray, everything immediately switches to Blu-ray Upgrade your setup with web browsing smart TVs. Also if I power on the Apple TV, everything switches to that source. This is ok once you are used to it. :)
Hello. Why menu on screen is stuttering, same whit ps4 even simple moving picture is stuttering. what poop cpu they put in there. every device is slow!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hello. Why menu on screen is stuttering, same whit ps4 even simple moving picture is stuttering. what poop cpu they put in there. every device is slow!
Not sure what television you have that this is the case. You should probably return it if this is the issue you are running into and try a television that doesn't have this issue. The other side may be that you have CFI enabled and cranked way up and you are really having issues with the soap opera effect. Can't really say what it is that you're complaining about.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis